Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has a Suby trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
These sound like good transmissions that can be had for a decent price. Is anyone using a Suby motor with an aircooled VW or Porsche motor?

If you are can comment on shifting, costs, instal, chassis mods, etc....?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, one more thing - is it heresy to use one with a VW or Porsche engine? huh.gif
smj
popcorn[1].gif

You'd most likely be looking at an hydraulic clutch and a cable shifter, right? So add that to the cost of the half shaft adaptation, and take a couple grand off the price of the Boxster trans...
wingnut86
Heresy? Please....

Make sure that you wash that open wound on your back with 91% alcohol after flogging yourself with that sharp "Cat of 9 Tails"...

happy11.gif
McMark
I have thoughts on a cable shifter. Just need the right project to come along to finish up the R&D. wink.gif
DBCooper
Talk to the guys at http://www.subarugears.com/. They do other conversion things not mentioned on the website and it's pretty closely related to what they specialize in so they should know. I think Jake is or was the exclusive importer of some part of their line, so they may just refer you to him. I'd recommend checking directly with them first in any case, because I think their experience in this area is probably broader than Jake's and they may have the answers you need for your evaluation.

Keep in mind the ratio of the top gear will be a problem. Aircooled engines need to be spun quite a lot faster at cruising speeds to keep them cool, while Subaru ratios will be for lower, more normal RPM's.
Chris914n6
^^ Actually it says on the main page adapters coming soon.
Ductech
And here I thought keeping my 901 behind my Subaru motor was nuts... It would be spendy I imagine... And after you get to the point of stacking up a motor to it with the added thickness of an adapter the trans would stick out quite a bit. From what I've seen most Subaru motor/ trans conversions are long in length and encroach on the space the stock exhaust would sit. Also the diff itself sits low in these trannies, so u may loose some ground clearance albeit in line with the wheels. My 2 cents... If it matters. Don't let my ramblings discourage you.
Jake Raby
Todd at Subarugears is finishing up the aircooled adaptors now.. I will be placing another big order with him in July if you want one :-)

seanery
Purely research at this point. smile.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Ductech @ Jun 6 2012, 04:08 PM) *

And here I thought keeping my 901 behind my Subaru motor was nuts... It would be spendy I imagine... And after you get to the point of stacking up a motor to it with the added thickness of an adapter the trans would stick out quite a bit. From what I've seen most Subaru motor/ trans conversions are long in length and encroach on the space the stock exhaust would sit. Also the diff itself sits low in these trannies, so u may loose some ground clearance albeit in line with the wheels. My 2 cents... If it matters. Don't let my ramblings discourage you.

Using a Subaru engine/transmission in two wheeled drive keeps the assembly at about the same or less length than a T4/901. The T4 motor is a bit longer than the Subaru, so add in an adapter plate and that combination might be a bit longer by an inch. The transmission input height is a bit higher for the Subaru transmission, so it could change the engine position. When it's combined with the Subaru engine as a unit the engine cradle or other mounts it positions the drivetrain correctly, but I don't know about the T4 or 911/Subaru tranny combination. I haven't seen any lack of ground clearance to the transmission and my car's very low, you'd slide on the belly of the car long before the transmission would contact. I can see a Subaru/901 conversion as logical because I don't have any enthusiasm for T4 engines. And a Subaru engine/Subaru transmission is magic. Then a T4/Subaru transmission is a possibility, but for me it's not compelling because after you've done a lot of work you're still stuck with the T4. I can't see that as being worthwhile, but it's a question of personal taste.

There's something else. I don't know how to quantify it, but the 901 isn't modern technology. Engines have evolved a lot in the last 45 years, and transmissions have evolved as much or more. They're more efficient because they have a large affect on mileage, so automakers prioritized improving them. But being more efficient is more than just gas mileage. When there's less power loss in the drivetrain it means more horsepower gets to the wheels, and more power from the same engine is a Very Good Thing. But to the point of the thing, I wish you could drive my car, it's been transformed. It's a pleasure to shift, in fact I don't even think about it. Not many other 914's can say that.
seanery
From what I've read elsewhere, might have been shoptalk forums, it sounds like the engine will have to sit higher in the chassis. The number that pops into my head is 55mm.
DBCooper
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 7 2012, 08:58 AM) *

From what I've read elsewhere, might have been shoptalk forums, it sounds like the engine will have to sit higher in the chassis. The number that pops into my head is 55mm.

Two inches, that's a lot. I first put in the Subaru engine with the 901 transmission, then put in the Subaru engine and transmission as an assembly. The different input shaft height didn't affect either of those installations so I couldn't say for sure, but I'd hate to have to raise the T4 engine no matter how much better it shifted.
seanery
The height is an issue for me, too. Mine will mated to a 2.5 -6.

If I do it! biggrin.gif
ttriebler
Hey guys, Todd from www.subarugears.com here.

Our products are available in North America from Jake Raby.
I also sell direct through my website but for many customers they like to deal with someone on the ground in the USA, since I am located in Sydney, Australia.
Jake has a great history in VW's and Porsche's and can give you all the support you need.

I have indeed developed a billet aluminium adaptor for VW/Porsche engines to bolt to the Subaru 5 speed transmission. This is supplied with a billet steel flywheel which is basically a lightened sports Subaru flywheel with the appropriate integral VW/Porsche center and correct spacing for this combo. I have the large single bolt centers for T1 style engines and the multibolt centers for T4 etc engines. They have the appropriate grooves for the different o-ring seals and crank seals. All flywheels are billet machined with an integral ring gear cut into them rather than pressed on.

This way you use standard Subaru clutches, release bearings, forks and starter motors. Nobody wants to have a clutch plate wear out and then have to get some custom riveted/welded center in a clutch. The range of Subaru aftermarket clutches is extensive and very competitively priced due to the huge aftermarket Subaru scene.

With regards to clutch cylinders, my preference is to fit a Subaru master and slave clutch cylinder, but this is not necessary. You can also use a clutch cable on these if you like. I drove a turbo beetle just last week with it's standard cable still in place and the action was smooth and light.

I haven't yet made the adaptor plates available as they have not yet been tested in a car. I will not sell them until it has done some time in an actual car and we can make sure it's perfect. I am currently building a 5 speed trans and adaptor plate combo to mate to a 1600 ACVW in a Kombi. This will enable us to prove the product and then release it for sale. Don't worry, you will know about it. Target price is $999 shipped to your door worldwide.

Don't forget we do Subaru 5 speed front drive conversion kits with the Subaspool 2WD locking spool, Subaflanges to suit 100mm or 108mm cv joints and the Subaplate to block off the back of your trans.

Input shaft to output shaft is 55mm or 2 inches greater than a VW/Porche setup - does that mean anything in reality when installed? I doubt it - but the proof is in the pudding. It needs to be built to be proven. Transmission length is the same as an 091 Kombi so is no issue to fit into a teener.

Keep at it and good luck with your conversions.
seanery
Thanks for the post, Todd!

Please post here again when you've got that Kombi working!
ttriebler
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 11 2012, 01:09 PM) *

Thanks for the post, Todd!

Please post here again when you've got that Kombi working!

No probs. if this rain in Sydney ever stops we might get a few things done...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.