Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know of a good, cheap paint shop in Orange County?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
infantrytroop22
I am looking to do a color change on my '74 914, but do not want to spend much money at all. I know you get what you pay for, but my car is nothing great and I am not looking for a show quality paint job. Does anyone have any recommendations for a really cheap paint shop in Orange County that can do a decent job (i.e., not get overspray everywhere and lay a decent coat)? Thanks.
JoeSharp
No, but I did stay at a Quality Inn last night. Cheap is the problem
welcome.png
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Andy may chime in.
Woody
welcome.png
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

SirAndy
Tabor got his 914 painted across the border and they did a decent job for a good price ...

popcorn[1].gif
McMark
Forget the word good and head to Maaco, Earl Scheib, or whatever other discount paint shop you have in your area and enjoy the decreased value of your color change 914. thumb3d.gif

welcome.png

It's your car, do whatever you want to it and ignore the smart ass comments from people like me. wink.gif Really.
rick 918-S
You can get good and you can get cheap. But these two words are diametrically opposed.

If you weren't the new guy I would unload on you. welcome.png
infantrytroop22
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2012, 05:31 PM) *

Forget the word good and head to Maaco, Earl Scheib, or whatever other discount paint shop you have in your area and enjoy the decreased value of your color change 914. thumb3d.gif

welcome.png

It's your car, do whatever you want to it and ignore the smart ass comments from people like me. wink.gif Really.

Well, the color of the current paint is a bit off from the original color anyway and I am not that worried about the value of the car since it is not worth much. I got the car real cheap so I figured that I might as well do a cool color scheme and enjoy it. biggrin.gif
infantrytroop22
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 4 2012, 05:35 PM) *

You can get good and you can get cheap. But these two words are diametrically opposed.

Okay, how about where can I get a non-horrible paint job for cheap?
rick 918-S
Why not just drive down the street and toss the money out the window while enjoying the car the way it is. It won't be worth any more with the new paint job than it is now but at least you won't have to leave it for a couple months and wear a darth vador mask when you drive it away from the shop. ph34r.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(infantrytroop22 @ Jun 4 2012, 04:37 PM) *

He already told you... Maaco or Earl Sheib will do a decent job. With them, it's all about the prep. If you bring them a car with bugs on the front they will paint over the bugs on the front. It will be a decent paint job at a cheap price with bugs painted over on the front.
Bring them a well prepped car and you will get a better paint job.

Rick is right though. You should be more careful about saying 'good' and 'cheap' in the same sentence. Unless you're talking about a one legged prostitute in Duluth Minnesota named Lena... Then it is entirely expected. av-943.gif
infantrytroop22
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 4 2012, 05:42 PM) *

Why not just drive down the street and toss the money out the window while enjoying the car the way it is. It won't be worth any more with the new paint job than it is now but at least you won't have to leave it for a couple months and wear a darth vador mask when you drive it away from the shop. ph34r.gif

Pretty sure I would enjoy it more if the color was different rather than driving it the way it is and throwing money out the window. I do like to drive and throw money out the window, but only when I drive a different car. The 914 is not very conducive to money throwing.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 4 2012, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(infantrytroop22 @ Jun 4 2012, 04:37 PM) *

He already told you... Maaco or Earl Sheib will do a decent job. With them, it's all about the prep. If you bring them a car with bugs on the front they will paint over the bugs on the front. It will be a decent paint job at a cheap price with bugs painted over on the front.
Bring them a well prepped car and you will get a better paint job.

Rick is right though. You should be more careful about saying 'good' and 'cheap' in the same sentence. Unless you're talking about a one legged prostitute in Duluth Minnesota named Lena... Then it is entirely expected. av-943.gif

Ya you betcha! I tink I can Get um boat wit one shot! lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
Oh BTW: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Lets see it! beerchug.gif
infantrytroop22
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 4 2012, 05:52 PM) *

Oh BTW: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Lets see it! beerchug.gif

I will try to get some in the next couple of days. The only ones I have are from the seller, and the car has a horrible looking front bra and tail pipes that stick out about 4" from the back of the car in those pics. I don't want to post those embarrassing pics...
1973-914-2L
head toward I-5 head south about 30 miles south of San Diego ... yes that puts you in Mexico .. but if you head to the south east side of town it is mostly industrial and there are always shops willing to do a quick and cheap paint job ....

Also I am being serious .. its been twenty years since I had a car done down there but I have had two done and ran a few others down that way ....
Steve
I thought Venice Beach Auto Body aka Beach Boys Racing did a good job on my flairs and the paint job. It's not Orange County, but it's pretty close. You will stay pay around $2k though.
hot_shoe914
I don't want to post those embarrassing pics...

Obviously he has never seen any of the 914s I drive. Now those cars are embarrassing but ask anyone on here that knows me, I don't let the ugliness stop me from enjoying having fun in them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.