Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flares Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuttgart46
So I have a really good welder that is going to install my flares for me but how hard is it to get them lined up properly, etc.? Also, what settings on the welder?
This will be my first attempt with steel flares. Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.
scotty b
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:13 AM) *

So I have a really good welder that is going to install my flares for me but how hard is it to get them lined up properly, etc.? Also, what settings on the welder?
This will be my first attempt with steel flares. Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

I'm alittle confused. you say you have a really good welder that is going to install them but he doesn't know how to set up his welder ? confused24.gif

As for alignment, they almost line themsleves up, jut make certain you have them centered over the wheel, and the bottom edges are in line with the bottom edge of the existing panel
stuttgart46
He's my pump mechanic and he has done a lot welding for me in the past. He can weld paper and I trust him wholeheartedly. But this car thing is new to him and he just wants to make sure he doesn't crank up the welder so much it warps something.
Eric_Shea
1. Install your flared rockers first.
2. You may want to install your flared valance as well.
3. Leave the bottom of your original fenders intact (where the rockers and valance attach) and finish the bottom of the flares to those.
4. Mount your rear tires first if you have them. You can often vary the install by over 1/2" on the outboard side.

If he can weld paper he will instinctively know the settings. To prevent warpage, I wouldn't weld more than 1" at a time.
stuttgart46
Thanks guys.
bulitt
Flare Installation
Elliot Cannon
OOps wrong thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.