Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA Vintage Plate Bill AB-1658
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
This come up here before? Seems CA might start producing vintage license plates again if they get enough orders, 7500 required to move forward by 1/2014. Bill passed 5/30/12.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/bi...201120120AB1658
monkeyboy
Where do I apply? I would love a set of legit blue plates.
sixnotfour
Is that an additional $40 on top of the basic tab renewal cost ?
7TPorsh
Probably then another xx$ amount for a vanity plate?
dlkawashima
Apparently so, according to this article:

http://sfbay.ca/2012/03/31/classic-plates-...d-for-comeback/

Note also it says the plates won't be a totally faithful reproduction of the originals (printed rather than stamped "CALIFORNIA" as well as reflective paint).
kconway
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 5 2012, 09:11 AM) *

Like vanity plates, that would bring my registration up to ~$120/yr.
914_teener
QUOTE(kconway @ Jun 5 2012, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 5 2012, 09:11 AM) *

Like vanity plates, that would bring my registration up to ~$120/yr.

Still have my 73 "blues" . They won't be getting my money.
Tom_T
QUOTE(kconway @ Jun 5 2012, 07:19 AM) *

This come up here before? Seems CA might start producing vintage license plates again if they get enough orders, 7500 required to move forward by 1/2014. Bill passed 5/30/12.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/bi...201120120AB1658

NOPE - not a law yet folks!

It only passed out of Assembly 5/30, & went to State Senate 5/31 for committee assignment & still needs to pass there, & then go to the Gov. for signature.

Still a long road ahead legislatively, but may become law this year or next - depending on how fast the Senate works, if they need to go to conference committee to work out any differences between the Assembly & Senate versions, & if Jerry will ultimately sign it.

Use the "Status" tab on Kevin's link above to check on status - probably monthly is often enough.

I suspect this is seen as a "fund raiser" since they upped the minimum to go forward to 7500, and the Senate may increase that.

DMV also can adjust things, and not it says "as much as feasible using current plate mfg. techniques, so DMV will be massaging what they'll actually do & how - which may NOT be old school "stamped" plates we all prefer! dry.gif

I'll be in for one for my wife's vintage trailer - if it ultimately includes them after DMV gets done - whenever she gets it, but otherwise all my cars have their original plates still.

Let's all hope for final passage & signed into law!
popcorn[1].gif
7TPorsh
DMV lady at AAA told me hat if I find unregistered stock blue plates at a swap meet, etc. I can assign them to the car but you lose the vanity side. Cheapest if you just want blue plates.

Will the new plates hold 7.5 spaces? I can just get the $60 replicas out there and I can keep my vanity.
montoya 73 2.0
Since I live in Oregon, When I found some Year Of Make plates I had to register them as "Vanity" plates. I tried to to register as vintage or historical but was told No. So while talking to the manager of the local DMV, I asked if I could have vanity plates in which he said of course. I then asked if I could have what was stamped on these plates (the set of YOM plates I had)? he said as long as that configuration wasn't already taken. After checking of course it wasnt, cause who the hell wants vanity plates that reads nonsense letters and numbers?! So I said I wanted that plate configuration, He then asked for the money to purchase the plates. I said I don't need to purchase the plates because I have them right here. I got a funny look, I then explained to him the following; If I purchase the vanity plates in this configuration why can't I use these plates? They are legitimate Oregon plates as you can see. Even if I do purchase the plates, what would stop me from switching the brand new plates with these OG plates?" He looked at me and said "well I guess your right because they are real Oregon plates and they meet all the rules and regualtions".

The only thing now is I have to pay the extra cash for Vanity plates every year. That part sucks but that was the way I worked around the system that wouldn't allow me to register the correct plate to my year (1973).
monkeyboy
I had my new plates stamped to look like old plates and repainted. They look just like the old blue plates, but have 7 digits.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jun 7 2012, 02:24 PM) *

I had my new plates stamped to look like old plates and repainted. They look just like the old blue plates, but have 7 digits.

How? you painted the white reflective ones?
monkeyboy
Painted them and stamped the CALIFORNIA in them. Then they stamped in the pads for the stickers.

There is a guy locally that does it.
914_teener
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jun 7 2012, 04:17 PM) *

Painted them and stamped the CALIFORNIA in them. Then they stamped in the pads for the stickers.

There is a guy who will restore your oringinal plates.......outstanding work....he is in Pennsylvania....I am pretty sure he has a website.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 7 2012, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jun 7 2012, 04:17 PM) *

There is a guy who will restore your oringinal plates.......outstanding work....he is in Pennsylvania....I am pretty sure he has a website.

We have a guy in California too. He does great work, but modifying your plates is not legal.

I don't run them on the road, of course, as they are not legal. happy11.gif

Here is a snapshot from the Friends of Steve McQueen show last weekend.Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
Fortunately my 72

has original 6 character blue plates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.