Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie from Peoria, IL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bonzo767
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum as I was recently gifted a '72 914/4 FI from my brother-in-law. He has apparently lost interest/time/money/storage, and wanted to junk it. He was the second owner of the car, having purchased it in 1988.

Ironically, I was the last one to drive it before it was garaged and otherwise forgotten (10 yrs ago). So...I just couldn't bear to see the junk thing happen, as it's an original 7/10 car, and they aren't making more. Hopefully with some patient help from many of you, and the desire to both keep it in the family, and share with others through shows and such, I'll have her up and running again in no time.

I was able to get it to crank strong the other evening, and am now contemplating digging into/replacing most of the fuel system as a starting point. The odor from the fuel tank and when it cranks is REALLY nasty.

Otherwise, I've been keeping the Haynes manual near and dear.

Any other ideas for a starting point? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks to all in advance!
ConeDodger
welcome.png

The first tongue-in-cheek question would be why does your brother-in-law hate you so much? biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I would start from the assumption that everything will need work. Then, go at it from a systems approach. Start with the brakes as you will have to be able to stop before you can go. This will require an assessment - do the calipers even move? If so, you may be able to just bleed them. If not, you will likely need a caliper rebuild. Assessing the condition of the rotors and pads and replacing them as needed... Lots of us use PMB Performance. Eric Shea is a great resource.
I would just assume that your gas tank needs to be drained and removed. That has to be some nasty stuff that has turned to varnish. Stock fuel lines through the body are plastic and many of us replace these with stainless steel. These are available from a couple vendors in the Member Vendor section. I got mine through CFR, Chris Foley on the site. He is willing to change up his configuration to meet your needs and I may be replacing the ones I have with some that have ends on them that I can connect braided line to.
It would help if you knew why your brother-in-law parked it. If there is no repair that is needed, these engines are pretty durable in stock form and should start with good gas and all other systems in a go state...
At first, I would resist the urge to modify. It only complicates things when all you really need to do is get it running...
Good luck! cheer.gif
SirAndy
welcome.png

Replacing all the soft fuel lines is a very good idea. Also check the plastic lines where they come out of the firewall, if they are brittle they need replacing.
Make sure you use the correct metric fuel injection hose and flat hose-clamps. Get a new fuel filter.
Don't try to start it with old gas. Clean out the gastank, make sure the sock filter at the bottom is not clogged up and use fresh gas. You might also prime the fuel pump with some fresh fuel on the bench.

beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
Lucky for you there is an awesome 914 guy just around the corner from you in East Peoria. Brad Mauer at 914LTD. Get with him, he will be a huge help.

Shoe
welcome.png

Fuchin auto correct.
carr914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:35 PM) *

Lucky for you there is an awesome 914 guy just around the corner from you in East Profusely. Brad Mauer at 914LTD. Get with him, he will be a huge help.

Shoe
welcome.png

agree.gif

welcome.png
poorsche914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:35 PM) *
... in East Profusely...

lol-2.gif Gotta love auto correct!
abnrdo
welcome.png

I am in Peoria every month!

Would like to see some photos of your car. I would also recommend Brad.

Cheers!

GeorgeRud
If the car is in running condition, the first thing I would do is get hold of Brad and have him check it over. Then he can advise you of the things that need attention, and in what order to attack them to minimize your mistakes along the way.

I've known him for over 30 years, and you can't find a more honest and knowledgeable person to help with your 914.
Harpo
You are very fortunate to live so close to Brad. He just finished up a whole bunch of sheet metal repair for me (floor pan, both fire walls, hell hole) It is a six hour drive to trailer my car to him.

Definetely get your car to brad. He can help you prioritize

David
Cairo94507
welcome.png
Now post some pictures of that baby. And what they all said about the issues that need addressing before you even try to fire it up.
PanelBilly
Welcome and post a photo so we can see what you've gotten yourself into
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
mburkhart
Yet another satisfied Brad Mayeur customer here. Took my car to him last year to work through some nagging issues and have never worked with a better mechanic. I almost can't wait for something to go wrong so I can hang out with him again!
aharder
welcome.png
GaroldShaffer
welcome.png

I agree with the others get in touch with Brad Mayeur he can be reached at 309-694-1797. I have know him for years and you won't find a more honest mechanic / person than Brad. He loves these cars and his passion shows.

While there are guys closer that could work on my 914 when needed, I always make the 3 hour drive to him for any work I can't do on my 914(s).

Oh and click on this teh link below for the thread here on the world for my 5th annual 914 BBQ party August 4th.

5th Annual 914 BBQ
partwerks
Back in the hey day, I got to know Brad through Jay at Partwerks of Chicago and he did my 3.6 and Subie conversion for me........

Gonna have to get over there for a visit/mini vacation some time..........600 miles, due East.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.