Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autocrossing/Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_1.8t
I'm looking into where I will be able to participate in some autoX or racing once the car is done.
Looking for some options on where/how to get started. burnout.gif

I allready looked into the SCCA Solo II got following response for my car's classification:
Your car looks like it would fit well in SM2 (Street Modified 2-seater).

Hmm....looks like i'll be in the group with Corvettes ohmy.gif

Will I be able to participate in PCA events with my VW/Audi motor?
Mueller
the only PCA events you'll be able to run in are the auto-x* and then only in the "fun" runs......

*and even then, it is up the the tech inspectors and the auto-x chairperson, this could vary event to event.......

we have to be very careful with these hybrid/swap 914's, they will be scrutinized more and depending on the people doing the inspection, they might be prejudiced from the get go and be looking for reasons to fail the car at inspection or disallow it to run
Joe Bob
Try the local .....to you race tracks and look for open track days.

The only problem is that some of the participants are peopel you would be afraid to sit down to lunch with let alone race with...."I" always go with groups that have stringent tech inspections and experience requirements....
Mueller
like Mikey mentioned...private run groups are always renting out the tracks...I've run with NASA before in my Volvo up at ThunderHill...scary, not enough instructors and people out on the track that shouldn't be allowed to drive a shopping cart smile.gif

Do a search here, I think Green Flag might be one of the better run groups and I know a few others have been mentioned....

like in the PCA, the car has to be in good condition with nothing falling off the car
914_1.8t
Thanks for the info guys...i'll look for open track days.
I guess i'll just be doing SoloII for the most part.

Anyone here attend those?
AndrewBlyholder
To clarify the situation with PCA, you can run any car you want, as long as you're a club member. So don't worry about being turned away.

The big advantage PCA has over SCCA is seat time. At a typical PCA event, we do 8 timed runs, a morning group of 4 and an afternoon group of 4. We also do "fun runs" (timed but not recorded) afterwards at 4 out of 5 events. San Francisco Region SCCA gets some many cars that they limit it to just 3 runs each, and fun runs are a rarity. They do organize things so that you do your runs and do your work assignment all in the same half day. So you only spend either the morning or the afternoon, but not both, at the event. You can also do just a half day at PCA if you only want to get in 4 runs, but the entry cost is still full price.

Andrew
VegasRacer
The first day of the WCC I ran Laguna with the NCRC.
They seemed like a good group and can offer you track time.
brant
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 15 2004, 02:50 PM)
To clarify the situation with PCA, you can run any car you want, as long as you're a club member. So don't worry about being turned away.

Andrew

Andrew,

PCA is region to region on that rule...
I know in both of the two regions that I participate in they will not allow any non porsche to participate....

sometimes in an autox they make exceptions but usually only to fill out the grids...

PCA club racing has a national rule that they will not allow any non porsche also..

brant
Mueller

Andrew, I just want to make sure that no one shows up with a POS conversion car, if that starts to happen and they cause problems with tech or spewing fluid all over the auto-x course, I can see the conversion cars getting banned from the events.....I don't want to see that happen, especially since I'm building a bastardized conversion 914 myself smile.gif smash.gif
Joe Bob
Nope....sorry....depends on the region and the relationship YOU have with them. If it's a ZONE event....fuggetabotit....if it's just a regular AX.....kisssome booty.....
nine14cats
914 1.8T....

Andrew Blyholder has a good point. The seat time is much more in the local PCA regions than SCCA. In the local PCA regions you will get 8 to 12 runs in a day plus fun runs. I believe your Avatar has you in the East Bay (Oakland area?).

If that's the case, you've got some really nice options for running Auto-x with the local PCA. The PCA-Golden Gate Region and PCA Loma Prieta Region are close to you. I run with both regions for Auto-X and participate in Time Trials with the Golden Gate Region. Time Trials run on the big tracks (Laguna, Sears, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow). For Auto-X, you can run your car as long as it isn't dropping parts and fluid everywhere. I work the tech inspection and we check for safety and general fitness of the car.

Again for Auto-x, the PCA Zone 7 group (of which Golden Gate Region and Loma Prieta are a member) will allow you to run a non-porsche motor as well. Hell, I blew a motor earlier this year and all the regions and the zone have continued to invite me to run my Honda S2000 in the "Fun" category to keep participating! I just don't want to break another car! laugh.gif

For track events, the PCA will not allow hybrid cars. But as pointed out, there are several excellent organizations to run with. Northern California Racing Club and Trackmasters Racing are two excellent clubs I run with. The provide instruction and in my opinion have a very nice atmosphere to participate in.

Have fun!

Bill P.
Andyrew
Hmm SM2..... I think thats the same class I would be in too.... Or maybe its the modified class... Cant remember...

I have the joys of running in the same (or one step higher) class than daddy's monster...

yippee...

ouch..

Whats the v8 cars in again? I forgot..
fiid
PCA AX will let us do fun runs. Having said that - when we start getting TTOD - we are probably going to upset somone.

Northern California Racing Club has frequent track days at all the local tracks, and I plan on getting a lot of seat time with them when my car is done. They also run a tim trial series and a racing series that does not prejudice against our more innovative approach to motorsport.

Don't be too fearful of running with corvettes - you ought to be able to outrun them on a good portion of tracks. Work out what your power to weight ratio is, and also your overall weight. You might be suprised. Since you won't have a 901 - you will have quite the weapon.

I didn't know we could run in a real SCCA class. I may be into partaking in some of those events.
914_1.8t
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 15 2004, 04:43 PM)
PCA AX will let us do fun runs. Having said that - when we start getting TTOD - we are probably going to upset somone.

Northern California Racing Club has frequent track days at all the local tracks, and I plan on getting a lot of seat time with them when my car is done. They also run a tim trial series and a racing series that does not prejudice against our more innovative approach to motorsport.

Don't be too fearful of running with corvettes - you ought to be able to outrun them on a good portion of tracks. Work out what your power to weight ratio is, and also your overall weight. You might be suprised. Since you won't have a 901 - you will have quite the weapon.

I didn't know we could run in a real SCCA class. I may be into partaking in some of those events.

No, actually i'm not worried about running against any of those cars. I'll have a killer power to weight ratio. biggrin.gif and I think it'll be fun suprising some people.
914_1.8t
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 15 2004, 03:19 PM)
914 1.8T....

Andrew Blyholder has a good point. The seat time is much more in the local PCA regions than SCCA. In the local PCA regions you will get 8 to 12 runs in a day plus fun runs. I believe your Avatar has you in the East Bay (Oakland area?).

If that's the case, you've got some really nice options for running Auto-x with the local PCA. The PCA-Golden Gate Region and PCA Loma Prieta Region are close to you. I run with both regions for Auto-X and participate in Time Trials with the Golden Gate Region. Time Trials run on the big tracks (Laguna, Sears, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow). For Auto-X, you can run your car as long as it isn't dropping parts and fluid everywhere. I work the tech inspection and we check for safety and general fitness of the car.

Again for Auto-x, the PCA Zone 7 group (of which Golden Gate Region and Loma Prieta are a member) will allow you to run a non-porsche motor as well. Hell, I blew a motor earlier this year and all the regions and the zone have continued to invite me to run my Honda S2000 in the "Fun" category to keep participating! I just don't want to break another car! laugh.gif

For track events, the PCA will not allow hybrid cars. But as pointed out, there are several excellent organizations to run with. Northern California Racing Club and Trackmasters Racing are two excellent clubs I run with. The provide instruction and in my opinion have a very nice atmosphere to participate in.

Have fun!

Bill P.

Yes, I'm in Hayward.
Thanks for the info....i'll start calling around and see where I am allowed to participate. Can't wait to get the car completed and start having some fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.