Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW/Audi sidemarker on a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaney
I am going down the path of 94Teener (Phil RIP) with the installation of VW/Audi style side markers behind the front wheel well on my 914.

Here are some pics of his handy work. first.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

My question for all you body/metal work folks is how do I recess the edges of the hole so the marker light 'sits' in the opening?

Any and all ideas/help is welcome!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Nate

Cairo94507
Might be easier to go to a wrecking yard with a torch and cut out the fenders on a wrecked VW and weld them into your fenders.
dlee6204
agree.gif I would section the piece of VW fender onto the 914 fender.
CrashDown
^^^^^
Ive been doing bodywork and paint professionally for 10 years.... and that's exactly what I'd do. Trying to french those lights in by hand would be a bitch.
rick 918-S
Here's what I would do: Find get a hole saw slightly larger than the curve of the light. Get a piece of 1/4 plate. Layout the light, use the hole saw to cut the curves, use a juig saw to cut the straight sections. Clean it up with a file.

Lay out the light on the fender, Leave 3/8 of material to the inside of the line, cut the fender. Take the 1/4 piece and clamp it behind the opening. Use it for a forming block and hammer smash.gif the metal into the opening in the 1/4 plate. You may need to curve the plate slightly to contour it to the fender. And your hits will need to be exact to get the panel to stretch it without mis-forming.

You'll end up with a nice finished edge around the light and when you cap the back where the light will sit the fender won't warp. It will take you 3 time longer but if you do it right you won't need body filler. I don't like filler abuse.

But that's just me. assimilate.gif screwy.gif
Mike Bellis
I have a Passat in the garage I'm cutting apart. No lights but I do have the fender sections you need for grafting.
Zaney
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 6 2012, 07:52 AM) *

I have a Passat in the garage I'm cutting apart. No lights but I do have the fender sections you need for grafting.

Let me get back to you on that! I am going by the local pick n pull this morning to look at a 2000 A4. If I come up empty then I will take you up on the offer for the marker panels.

I already have the lenses and the wiring pig tails so that isn't an issue. Just making sure it is a year Passat that will work.

Here is a pic of my light.
Click to view attachment

Thanks for all the replies!! beer.gif
Mike Bellis
Mine is a 2000 Passat 1.8t
Zaney
Done!

Let's go that route with your fenders. Pick n pull doesn't have power for a cutoff saw anyway.

I'll PM you for details!
Thanks a bunch!

Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.