Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mystery hole in the fan shroud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
what's supposed to mount here? I put a bolt and nut there just to fill in the hole.

The boss is cast into one half of the shroud and not the other, so it doesn't hold the 2 fan shroud case halves together.

Click to view attachment

TheCabinetmaker
Mounting hole for the ac compressor bracket.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 6 2012, 09:48 AM) *

Mounting hole for the ac compressor bracket.

I disagree. Why would the factory put a mounting hole for something never intended to be installed on the engine?

The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
Well, He didn't ask why the factory put the hole there. He asked what was susposed to be there. I concede, and change my answer to "nothing". What WAS mounted there on a 914 is one of the brackets that held the compressor! biggrin.gif bootyshake.gif happy11.gif
SLITS
smog pump bracket ...

And I don't care whether it is right or wrong.
McMark
Good thing you plugged it. You almost let all the air escape from the engine. av-943.gif

It's not for the compressor bracket. At least not in a 914. The four holes on the side of the fan housing are for the compressor. The 912E had the compressor moved up to the top of the engine because it wouldn't fit in the 'old' location in that configuration. But the hole in question pre-dates the 914E, so it wasn't put there with the AC in mind.

Remember that this engine was developed with the VW 411/412 in mind. So there may be something on those cars that uses that hole. It's my understanding that the Type 4 engine was applied to the 914 a little later in the development of the engine.
McMark
Nah, looking at 411 and Type 2 owners manuals, neither show something in that hole.

Perhaps it was something as simple as a hanger to keep the parts organized on the assembly line.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 6 2012, 12:46 PM) *

Good thing you plugged it. You almost let all the air escape from the engine. av-943.gif

It's not for the compressor bracket. At least not in a 914. The four holes on the side of the fan housing are for the compressor. The 912E had the compressor moved up to the top of the engine because it wouldn't fit in the 'old' location in that configuration. But the hole in question pre-dates the 914E, so it wasn't put there with the AC in mind.

Remember that this engine was developed with the VW 411/412 in mind. So there may be something on those cars that uses that hole. It's my understanding that the Type 4 engine was applied to the 914 a little later in the development of the engine.

The four holes on the side are for the compressor? But,but, the factory never intended for an ac to be installed in a 914. confused24.gif

76-914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Jun 6 2012, 09:45 AM) *

what's supposed to mount here? I put a bolt and nut there just to fill in the hole.

The boss is cast into one half of the shroud and not the other, so it doesn't hold the 2 fan shroud case halves together.

Click to view attachment

To quote the immortal Cap'n Ron (from the movie of the same name), "Well, nobody knows"
struckn
That looks like the area where my Coil Bracket is at. confused24.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2012, 02:55 PM) *

To quote the immortal Cap'n Ron (from the movie of the same name), "Well, nobody knows"

Without a doubt, Kurt Russel's best work.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2012, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Jun 6 2012, 09:45 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Your coil is to the left a few inches on the cast in bracket with the two small triangular protrusions
nathansnathan
IPB Image

This is in the vw museum, a 74 type 2 configuration. There are things on it that aren't right, admittedly, but it does support that nothing goes there.
Scott S
"you put your weeeeed in there..."
rhodyguy
it's the throttle cable bracket/holder attachment point for your aftermarket linkage for webers and dels.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.