Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn not working? Also tips on replacing rear main seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
The horn isn't working on my LE. The wire is there & connected but I get nothing. It's definately connected to the horns also? What would you suggest to check next?

I also have a leak from the rear main seal. I'm going to pull the drivetrain saturday to replace it. I'll replace the flywheel O-ring along with the Flywheel pilot bearing/felt washer & the flywheel crush washer. The rear main seal is the main thing. Any tips or tricks on getting it to seal properly?

On my high beams they will come on if you hold the lever back. They will not click to stay on though?

As always thanks for the help
reharvey
Just my 2cents but I've had much better luck with the Victor Reinz rear seals.
McMark
Check the horn relay. It's up on top of the fuse panel. It's the one that has the red, red/white, brown/white, black/yellow wires. Should be on the very left.
JRust
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 6 2012, 10:56 AM) *

Check the horn relay. It's up on top of the fuse panel. It's the one that has the red, red/white, brown/white, black/yellow wires. Should be on the very left.

Thanks Mark for giving me the wires too. I think I can manage to get the right relay with that biggrin.gif . How about my high beams not clicking on but still will flash with the lever?
sixnotfour
headlight relay on the fuse panel, try a different one or open it up and clean the points.
slothness
Stock steering wheel or aftermarket? My whole steering column was mucked up by myself years ago installing my momo wheel. I had that high beam issue because there are two contacts the turn signal switch hits, one of them was pulled too far back and would never allow the high beam or low beam to click over...so I never drove at night. Plus apparently reinstalled it incorrectly and I sheared the horn button wire when I went out for a drive. Had a nice "little miss sunshine" moment when I made that left and there wasn't a shoulder to pull off on for 2 freaking blocks with my sad little horns blasting. God that was embarrassing...and this was all after getting honked at when I took a minute to crunch the stupid thing into first gear. headbang.gif
76-914
Jamie, I went thru that until I found this. The seal is $40 w/ shipping but it is a little longer = greater sealing area. http://www.gowesty.com/ec_search_results.p...ase=029-105-245
JRust
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 6 2012, 01:44 PM) *

headlight relay on the fuse panel, try a different one or open it up and clean the points.

I had the Engman Fuse panel upgrade. While I had those relays out I decided I would just do the upgrade. It would be easy enough to change back so I wasn't to worried about it not being OE. Before I did I took out all the relays cleaned them up & switched them around. It made no change with the high beam. Same with the horn. Still nothing from the horn. That was a far as I got.

I drove it up to Seattle for the weekend. It ran great the whole time & I even went topless the last few hours. Was overcast when I left but just kept getting nicer as I drove. So when I stopped for gas off came the top. Of course I got the usual nice car for a few folks. Then had the guy who had one stop. Talked for a few minutes & finally got on the road again. Was a nice 2 hours with the top off. Been quite a while since I have enjoyed a drive that much driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.