Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgade to alternator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
Anyone know where I can get an alternator to fit a 914/4 engine that has more amps output than the standard? I've got to run 4 big spotlights in a few months in a rally and last year the standard alternator wasn't up to the job.

Cheers

Moggy
falconfp2001
I bought a 75 AMP off of eBay. They also list a 120 AMP also.
nathansnathan
I read that westfalia type 2's came with the 75w alternator and had a beefier partial harness. It makes you wonder if you should be upgrading other things to run a bigger alternator?
moggy
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 6 2012, 02:31 PM) *

I read that westfalia type 2's came with the 75w alternator and had a beefier partial harness. It makes you wonder if you should be upgrading other things to run a bigger alternator?

That would make sense.... a Type 2 generally has more things to run on the electrical system. I'll look into that some more. Thanks

What's the standard Amp output of the 914's alternator then?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 6 2012, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 6 2012, 02:31 PM) *

That would make sense.... a Type 2 generally has more things to run on the electrical system. I'll look into that some more. Thanks

What's the standard Amp output of the 914's alternator then?

700W 50 A 14 V (Bosch)
Bleyseng
yes, the 74-79 Westys had as a option a 70amp alt. Hard to find as the Westy guys and lowrider Bay guys with big stereos want em. The have a special cooling pully fan plus a special round air outlet boot. You can run the same regulator..
falconfp2001
I got this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Mini-Bus-Porsch...85c&vxp=mtr

I just transferred the wiring, back plate, boot from my old one. Seems about the same weight but didn't put it on the scale. It looks practically the same.
moggy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 6 2012, 03:16 PM) *

They have a special cooling pully fan plus a special round air outlet boot.

Do I need these to run that alternator?
euro911
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jun 6 2012, 04:23 PM) *
I got this one. (75-Amp) ...

I just transferred the wiring, back plate, boot from my old one. Seems about the same weight but didn't put it on the scale. It looks practically the same.
Have you tried it out yet?
76-914
I thought Bruce Stone was selling some for $75US but I can't find the listing, now. screwy.gif I'm becoming senile. Hey Moggy, my family came from Wales. Do you like to sing, drink and fight. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Kent
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2012, 06:16 PM) *

I thought Bruce Stone was selling some for $75US but I can't find the listing, now. screwy.gif I'm becoming senile. Hey Moggy, my family came from Wales. Do you like to sing, drink and fight. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Kent

Wales Texas? happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
I think Jim Hoyland has a 75 amp on his car. He needed it for his power mirrors, power windows, heated seats (and low rider hydraulic suspension). lol-2.gif
falconfp2001
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 6 2012, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jun 6 2012, 04:23 PM) *
I got this one. (75-Amp) ...

Have you tried it out yet?

Fitted it to my spare engine but haven't installed in the driver yet. Everything is the same as the old one.
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 6 2012, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2012, 06:16 PM) *

Wales Texas? happy11.gif

Yea right, huh? I've often wondered what they would think of my accent. happy11.gif
Mark Henry
A few guys on thesamba have modified a GM alternator for the T4, IIRC you just have to fab a new tension bracket.
You can get a GM units as big as 200amps.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 6 2012, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 6 2012, 03:16 PM) *

They have a special cooling pully fan plus a special round air outlet boot.

Do I need these to run that alternator?

You'll need atleast the boot as there isn't a back like the stock one. You can run them with a standard pulley but if you need the extra cooling the pulley/fan.
IPB Image
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.