Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How bad is too bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bry
How rusty is too rusty to still drive? What are your guys opinions? The passenger door works great still, no apparent flex or sag there. Do I need to leave it in the garage or will it be OK for easy Sunday drives? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

euro911
It's kind of hard to say just by looking at a couple of pix. Take your outer rocker cover off and check the rest of the long from below.

Poke at the area to check for structural integrity as its quite possible there's more damage below what you're seeing from above.

If so, it's something you might want to take care of fairly soon ... before anything decides to give-way confused24.gif
914Bryan
Remove the firewall cover and inspect what's behind it. The cover hides problems.
hot_shoe914
Mines way worse and I still drive it. But then again, the people on here claim I am crazy so who knows.
rhodyguy
look directly below it under the engine shelve. the control arm connection point is nearby. if there's a rust issue there it's a MAJOR problem. opinions vary on how much rust is too much. i would keep spending to a minimum until you know the extent of the damage.

k
mepstein
Make sure the passenger seatbelt mount on the lower right side has not been compromised and become a safety issue.
jimkelly
check this out

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

jim
914werke
You mean I shouldnt be driving this.... confused24.gif

jimkelly
that looks ok blink.gif

looks like surface rust to me popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
Look at the build thread scottyb has on my car
euro911
It's too late after it collapses

Click to view attachment
rjames
Why wait? It's not going to get better, just worse. Tear into it like the others have suggested and see what's really going on and determine if it makes sense financially for you to repair. I totally get wanting to drive it rather than working on it, but having peace of mind regarding the safety and longevity of your car beats driving it and constantly wondering if it's road worthy.

You don't want it to fold on its own, and you definitely don't want it to fold in an accident (any more than it already would).
oldschool
I put the battery in the trunk and so that I can still drive her.
draganc
QUOTE(914bry @ Jun 6 2012, 10:08 PM) *

How rusty is too rusty to still drive? What are your guys opinions? The passenger door works great still, no apparent flex or sag there. Do I need to leave it in the garage or will it be OK for easy Sunday drives? confused24.gif

i think if you have to support your battery tray by a 2x4 it's time to fix the holes. check the bottom, but i don't think it will look much better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.