Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Tool for removing gauge bezels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
pnewman
I am looking for a tool that i can use to remove and to re-install the bezel from gauges. i.e. speedo, Tach and fuel etc.

I had a junk gauge laying around and tried using different garden viarety tools and I just destroyed the ring / bezel. headbang.gif

I have never seen such an animal. sad.gif

Any help is appreciated.
bdstone914
The best tool we found for removing bezels is the narrow end of a stainless steel table spoon.
Bruce
rnellums
I used a paint can opener with some success.
TheCabinetmaker
I use my carpenters scratch awl.
dangrouche
gotta use small jeweler type screwdriver to start the pry up process and then move up to a larger screwdriver, release most of the bezel, then the gauge will eventually be able to separate. patience is key, it is a slow process
bandjoey
work it off, press it back on, and buy a new bezel cover to hide the mess. sawzall-smiley.gif
jasons
I've done it lots of times with a small screwdriver. Take your time and move slowly and gently around the back of the outer bezel ring. Assembly is reverse of dis-assembly. It won't look perfect when you put it back together. But, if done correctly, its only obvious when the gauge is out of the car. Once its in the rubber ring, you will never notice it.

See this tech article on PP site. Specifically, "Opening Up The Gauges"

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...gauge_face2.htm
toolguy
put a large hose clamp arounf the outside of the bezel first. . this keeps the bezel from expanding as you pry the lip. . use a small screwdriver that has the edges rounded off
You only need to work your way about 2/3 rds the way around. . .

to put it back on, get the roller tool that is for installing screen door screen. . get one that ahd a roler with a little grove in the center. . runt the grove where you want it to bend. . go slow and ease and you can get out most of the little dents you put in when you removed it
pnewman
biggrin.gif Thanks for all of the great advise. biggrin.gif

I like the roller idea for re-assembly. It sounds good. We'll see if I will mess it up.

I didn't expect such a fast and thorough response.

Wish me luck.

I'm goin' in!

sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.