Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAS tops - another GB $will be opening up DEC 17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mikey914
I'm in the process of getting another run of these together. They prove to be much more expensive to to do one or two of at a time. Regular price is $895.

I need 10 partys that are serious about buying these to get this rolling. I have the tooling so the lead times will be about 3 weeks before product starts shipping.

Who's intersted?
smj
Kinda tempting... Does it include the latch hardware? Does it include/accept weatherstripping?
billh1963
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 7 2012, 04:04 AM) *

Kinda tempting... Does it include the latch hardware? Does it include/accept weatherstripping?

I'm interested as well pending answers. Also, how difficult/expensive to ship to East Coast?
Rod
Interested, but in the uk...
jim_hoyland
These WAS tops are terrific. Better made than the original Saratoga tops in several ways. The most noticeable change is the ability to fit standard targa top side seals: the front latch mechanisms have been redesigned for ease of installation; plus, the shipping box can be used for storing the top - or storing your regular top.
Mikey914
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 7 2012, 01:04 AM) *

I set it up to include the weatherstripping that is factory. The sides are installed with 2 sided 3M HT tape so they can be fit specifically for your car. No need to adjust your windows.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 7 2012, 06:05 AM) *

I do have a commercial customer that had expressed interest in bringing a few over, so maybe we can bundle these together?

Airfreight is about $450, and 3-4 roofs would fit well into one shipment.

Maybe something could be worked out?
jim_hoyland

Perfect for typical UK weather. I found my WAS top even more enjoyable when it's cloudy or raining. smile.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 7 2012, 03:58 AM) *

QUOTE(smj @ Jun 7 2012, 04:04 AM) *

I'm interested as well pending answers. Also, how difficult/expensive to ship to East Coast?

Easy to ship domestically. I've used Fedex home delivery aon all and have had no issues, other than price.

The costs, as the boxes I was having made hit 3x oversize, started a little over $100, and as much as $160 to the east coast.

I'm looking at having a different box made that would come in just under, it knocks $50 off the price. So shipping would be a factor, but much more palitable. The containers would have to cost about the same to make it work, but this is a concern I'm looking into trying to reduce these costs.
billh1963
I'll sign up for one!
falconfp2001
I wish this would have come around October. It would be perfect for the Holiday season. I'm interested but the price is steep.
Harpo
I'm kind of interested I have always wanted one of these. If it can be shipped for $830 I will most likely buy one. Timing is everything.

Thanks

David
Steve
Is it possible to use the stock latches? I am looking for a stock look on the inside.
ThePaintedMan
Mark,
I wish I could say I was in on this one. However, all this talk about "tooling" brings up a question - would it be possible to come tour your shop if I ever make it out to the left coast? My sister is in Cali and I've always wanted to see how you do what you do. Thinking about a trip this Winter actually.

Mikey914
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 8 2012, 05:44 PM) *

Is it possible to use the stock latches? I am looking for a stock look on the inside.

Yes, I made my spacing and the entire substructure to allow for the stock latches. I'll have to double check, but I believe we molded off the late style roof. There is a difference on the latches.

Just not having an endless supply of latches I couldn't offer it that way.

And the icing on the cake -

If you use your own latches you can save $75

Mikey914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jun 8 2012, 05:37 PM) *

I'm kind of interested I have always wanted one of these. If it can be shipped for $830 I will most likely buy one. Timing is everything.

Thanks

David

Pretty sure it could with your own latches.
smj
Just how much of my money do you insist on taking this quarter? This top, the fender well liners, and I haven't even begun to look at all the rubber bits I need... Damned Harbor Freight sale's already blown this month's budget out of whack. (Goes to yell at the kids playing on his lawn). But I'll kick myself if I let this get away...

Alright, dammit, I'm in for one complete with latches. Better add whatever seals need to be attached to the top too, for the -6 in my sig. Good thing the Audi repair bill was many hundreds less than I'd expected. (For now... gulp!)
Norskpole
I'm in for 1. Let me know the details (shipping address, payment, etc) when you are ready.
-John
relentless
Can you post some pix of how the latching hardware mounts? Is it the same as the stock top? I recall seeing something like eye bolts on some clear top, maybe a Saratoga?

I am interested, I've wanted a "Saratoga" top for over 30 years! Are you planning on having all smoked grey, or is there a chance some might be in bronze tint?
OpusX67
Count me in for 1.
steuspeed
So does this include seals and latches for 895 or is it 895+ seals and latches? Are the the latches stock, custom or either? Also, can I pick up from your shop since I am down the road in Portland?
kerensky
I'd love one of these, but no way I can get in on this group buy. Maybe next year...
Mikey914
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jun 10 2012, 06:44 PM) *

So does this include seals and latches for 895 or is it 895+ seals and latches? Are the the latches stock, custom or either? Also, can I pick up from your shop since I am down the road in Portland?

The $895 is complete. The latches I make, and the seals. I added the option for you to use your latches to save some cash. It all adds up.

Pleas note that these roofs were molded off the late style roof. I don't think the front latches are interchaingable, so you may need thelate style. I never tried the early ones as I don't have a set.

And YES, I'd be happy to hand you over a roof. I'd prefer it to packing and shipping.
-Mark
Mikey914
Here's some close ups ov the mounting areas on one of the roof's I've got sititng around. Unfortunately it's a little dusty here, but you get the idea. We will provide the roof drilled and tapped for the factory holes. You will need to provide latches, and rear mounting points, as well as the mounting hardare.
steuspeed
Okay, so $720 is the GB (Group Buy) price and knock off 75 for no latches. Can you post a pic of your latch solution?
Mikey914
Here's the 1st generation for the the fronts. they worked, but needed slightly more clearance as rod rubbed on the lower targa seal.
Mikey914
Installed on car
CrashDown
Goddamn i want one of these....
Mikey914
I was looking for a picture of the new hardware(2nd gen) installed, but here is what they look like.
Mikey914
I have all of the acrylic now in my shop, Going to get the fiberglass portion rolling this next week. As soon as I start assemblling these I'll ask for the money.
rktmn247
I so want one of these! For me this would be the "icing on the top", (pun intended), of my project. Every piece I have purchased from Mark has been top notch and the accommodations he has made regarding shipping to my location have been above and beyond. I hope these will still be available when I am ready! Thanks Mark.
Harpo
So that I can properly budget for this, do you anticipate these being ready in July or August?

Thanks

David
buck toenges
I'll take one.

Buck
relentless
I'd still like to know if these will be offered in bronze tint.
Rod
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:47 PM) *

I do have a commercial customer that had expressed interest in bringing a few over, so maybe we can bundle these together?

Any more news from this 'Commercial customer?'
Mikey914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jun 13 2012, 02:43 AM) *

So that I can properly budget for this, do you anticipate these being ready in July or August?

Thanks

David

Late July these should be ready to ship.
-Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(relentless @ Jun 13 2012, 12:24 PM) *

The material I'm using I'm buying in bulk, one of the reasons for the group buy. So, I wouldn't say no, but it would add to cost. I can look as see what I can find, but last time I checked it was not readily available. I do know that Hoyland would probably like one if I could get it, so maybe 2, but I still have to find some.
-Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 13 2012, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:47 PM) *

Any more news from this 'Commercial customer?'

hasn't committed yet, but looks promising. I have been able to get the crating cost for packing down to $45 for the eccorrates, and have them made so they will be under the 3x overcharge where they really hit you. So the cost is coming down.

-Mark
jimsfolly
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 13 2012, 05:02 PM) *

The material I'm using I'm buying in bulk, one of the reasons for the group buy. So, I wouldn't say no, but it would add to cost. I can look as see what I can find, but last time I checked it was not readily available. I do know that Hoyland would probably like one if I could get it, so maybe 2, but I still have to find some.
-Mark

I'm in for one, with latches
seanery
I have to back out.
914Bryan
I will take one
Roy
Wow, so tempting. Can this be reasonably shipped to Canada? If yes I am extremely interested.
Larouex
I will take one Mikey, let me know when you need payment.

Larouex
timothy_nd28
Can one of these tops be made for the 914 limo?
relentless
Well, since you are doing the GB for smoked tint, no need to do extra work locating bronze tint that adds to the cost, for me at least.
steuspeed
Sign me up Mikey. No latches and local pick-up. Hillsboro, right? Let me know when it's ready.
jim_hoyland

-Mark

Bronze would be very cool on the copper car.... aktion035.gif
Steve
I will take one without the latches.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 21 2012, 06:34 PM) *

-Mark

Bronze would be very cool on the copper car.... aktion035.gif

I am actively looking to locate a suitable bronze material looks like 2 for sure maybe 3. So at least I'm able to spread the shipping out as its not availbe locally for me.
I may have a line on some. I'll know next week
connery
Please put me on the buy list

Mike
Orlando, Florida smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.