Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 came to be mine accidentally, its also my first car, and I have a few pretty silly questions.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HumanReason
Good day. Very recently I came into ownership of a 914 2.0 from '74. I have never had a car before and not really having much info on how the car works has left me with quite a few questions. I have read a lot of threads on here and looked all over the internet reading about 914's in order to educate myself and really that has only lead to more questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I am told to fill up the gas tank I need to open the engine compartment but upon doing so I see nothing that really screams put gas in me.

2. The driver's side key does not operate and when I pull the key out the whole tumbler comes out with it. The tumbler itself seems intact so I think it must be some problem with whatever mechanism holds it in place.

3. After having looked at quite a few photos of interiors I have come to believe that there may have been some changes to mine. Would I be correct in assuming that the normal layout for the center console is 3 dials vertically oriented down the center? Mine is a little different with the dials set to the side and with 3 unmarked toggle switches on it.

4. The insulation on part of the firewall has sagged off the wall and is somewhat leaning against the engine, is this a large problem? If so how would be best to fix it?

Thats all I can think of for now. Again any help would be appreciated as I basically know nothing.
Tom_T
QUOTE(HumanReason @ Jun 7 2012, 11:54 PM) *

Good day. Very recently I came into ownership of a 914 2.0 from '74. I have never had a car before and not really having much info on how the car works has left me with quite a few questions. I have read a lot of threads on here and looked all over the internet reading about 914's in order to educate myself and really that has only lead to more questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I am told to fill up the gas tank I need to open the engine compartment but upon doing so I see nothing that really screams put gas in me.

2. The driver's side key does not operate and when I pull the key out the whole tumbler comes out with it. The tumbler itself seems intact so I think it must be some problem with whatever mechanism holds it in place.

3. After having looked at quite a few photos of interiors I have come to believe that there may have been some changes to mine. Would I be correct in assuming that the normal layout for the center console is 3 dials vertically oriented down the center? Mine is a little different with the dials set to the side and with 3 unmarked toggle switches on it.

4. The insulation on part of the firewall has sagged off the wall and is somewhat leaning against the engine, is this a large problem? If so how would be best to fix it?

Thats all I can think of for now. Again any help would be appreciated as I basically know nothing.

welcome.png

1. The gas tank is in the front trunk just ahead of the windshield, and the filler is on the passenger side. The lockable hood release is below the left side of the dash, pull it, then there's a safety catch to find & squeeze under the front lip of the hood/front trunk/deck lid, the gas cap is screw off & non-locking (since it's in the lockable trunk).

2. It sounds like you either need a few retainer & the inner clip, or perhaps a new handle on that side. Hopefully some of the Windy City 914ers will chime in & can help you trouble shoot that.

3. The toggle switches on your center console would be add-ons, but I can't say if the gauges are changed. There were 3 layouts: the standard full lenght console with the 3 gauges mounted flat & lined up in the center of the face panel; then both dealer option ACs used a shortened center console, so that the AC blower/controls/vents could attach to the lower dash. The DPD AC layout had the 3 gauges lined up in the center, but closer together in the shorty panel & they were angled to the driver; whereas the VPC AC had them in a triangular pattern & angled in the shorty panel.

4. You'll want to get that pad up away from the engine, since it is aircooled, and depends on proper airflow in the engine compartment 7 underneath to keep it cool (or proper operating temp.). There should be some plastic flat head "screws" which will hold the sound/heat pad to the firewall, but you can use a proper bolt/screw with a wide fender washer instead. However, before you reattach it, it's worthwhile to check for rusty metal on the firewall & engine shelf, since the pads are notorious for holding moisture against the metal. You may even want to replace it with an aftermarket pad, to avoid that problem.

Hope this gets you going for now. Enjoy driving.gif !!!!

Tom
///////
GeorgeRud
Welcome to the zoo!

The weather is perfect for enjoying your 914, so go for it. The Chicago region of the Porsche Club of America has lots of events, so you may want to check its website for details. There are a few 914 owners that do show up and may be able to help. I'm up by O'Hare airport, and would be willing to go through the car with you if you have questions.

You can PM me and see if I can be of any further help. I've owned at least one 914 variant since 1974.

Enjoy the ride!
carr914
welcome.png
stuttgart46
welcome.png
My first car was a 914 too. About 23 years ago. You're going to have a ball.
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Lets see it!
Lennies914
welcome.png

Let's see some pics.
JStroud
welcome.png first there are no silly questions, the only way to learn is to do and ask questions. Good for you that you're willing to try. You'll have a blast with your new car they're fun to drive and work on. Everyone here is willing to help, we just ask one thing in return.....pictures pictures, and more pictures.

Good luck

Jeff
aharder
welcome.png
VaccaRabite
welcome.png

Take pics and let us know what you have got!

Zach
markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction, there is no cure.
OU8AVW
Welcome to the finest community of car freaks online! biggrin.gif
jwhcars
welcome.png
seanery
welcome.png
johannes
Welcome to the world ...

The french guy ...
jsayre914
welcome.png

I also had a 914 as my only car when I owned my first 914. It did not work out so well because my car had to get me to work each day, and I kept taking it apart each night rolleyes.gif

My advise:

Get a second car for backup smile.gif

NOT another 914 laugh.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 8 2012, 04:16 PM) *

welcome.png

I also had a 914 as my only car when I owned my first 914. It did not work out so well because my car had to get me to work each day, and I kept taking it apart each night rolleyes.gif

My advise:

My 914 is my only drivable car right now, just keep a toolbox in it and don't start any projects you can't finish in a weekend. biggrin.gif
HumanReason
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 8 2012, 03:16 PM) *

welcome.png

My advise:

I actually always use one of my bikes for getting around and commuting the 914 is purely a hobby and pleasure vehicle so no use for a second car.

Also Pictures incoming to augment the questions I had. Sorry it took so long I don't live where the car currently resides.
Thestigz06
welcome.png the only silly question a person can have is the one they never ask man! If there was nobody asking questions thos forum would be almost entirely pointless! Welcome to the madness!!

Oh and by the way, GO PACK GO! happy11.gif
Tom_T
You've got the VPD AC dealer option, and somebody added toggle switches to the shorty center consol for it. All the gauges are in their proper place for that unit, and the OT gauge is correct for 74-76 MYs with the short red zone.

IPB Image

Figure out what the added non-original switches in the center console control first, and then decide whether or not to keep them. You can remove them & recover over the holes with fresh black vinyl if you decide to chuck them.

green switch ot the right, next to the lighter is your rear window defogger, and the 2 knobs on the AC below the dash control it if it works (if not, they can be repaired &/or updated), red lever behind the shifter controls the heater fan in the engine compartment (light to right is an indicator for same) & the 3 levers in the dash above the console control fresh & hot air (you can put cool air on your face & warm on your feet - handy when you're tired & driving).

If you don't have an owners manual with it, then try to buy one on here, eBay, etc. for the same model year as your 914 (74?), and get at least Haynes manual for 914 repairs/maintenance the same way or new.

That's a pretty unique color combo of the yellow with brown interior, and looks to be factory original.

PM George Rud on your tumbler, since he's close & had offered above.

BTW - I too used to leave my 914 in the garage, & ride my 10-speed to/from work + a lunch time conditioning run totaling 100+ mi a day, in order to stay fit for Rugby back in the 1970s & 80s.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
PS - here are a couple of other good 914 info websites, in addition to stuff on here (including a click on the 914 Info section at the top of this page)-

p914.com

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

914club.com

ClubNARP.com

Also go to the Porsche website, under their "Classics" section & download a free PDF 914 PET parts catalog. You can also get the 8 vol. 914 factory shop manuals & a few other 914 manuals & documents on CD for about $25-30 from AutoAtlanta.

Happy Hunting! type.gif
Mike Bellis
Looks like it's well optioned. The rust is a concern! The drivers side, next to the door. This is usually a red flag. In most cases, by the time it rusts there, The rest of the car is very bad. Make sure the car is structurally sound. Look under the battery and under the passenger side rocker panel. The other repairs can wait.

welcome.png
and the madness...
gms
I have the parts to fix the door lock, I am about an hour west of the city.
Was this car in storage for a prolonged period?
gms
You should also come out to
Garold's 5th Annual BBQ and meet all the locals
VRROOMM1
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.