Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I sometimes forget how small a 914 is....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I drove one of the 914's to work today and was surprised at how small the car is compared to modern cars. I know American cars were large when the 914 was designed; however, at least the Japanese and European cars were small. Now, all cars have increased in size. The diminutive 914 looks totally lost out there!

IPB Image
JStroud
It may be small....but it's also the coolest car in the parking lot piratenanner.gif

Jeff
somd914
We're not the typical Americans - one 914, three Miatas, dreaming of a 356. It's not about size, it's about the magic biggrin.gif
lotus_65
that's just what i said to myself when i climbed into mine after 2+ years on jack stands.
76-914
best looking car out there, L80E wub.gif
billh1963
Everyone here likes my 914's...even though they act like they have never seen a 914. The sad reality is that in the little town where I work they probably never have seen one.
biosurfer1
I took this a while back, not staged, just happened to be the only spot open. I know the other cars are SUV's but still amazing how much it looks like a toy.

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 8 2012, 11:03 AM) *

I took this a while back, not staged, just happened to be the only spot open. I know the other cars are SUV's but still amazing how much it looks like a toy.

Click to view attachment

Wow...that does put our cars in perspective
KELTY360
The biggest difference between now and then is the size and abundance of SUVs and large pickups, especially lifted 4wd's. I had a new 914 in 1973 and that was the first thing I noticed when I got my current 914 in 2006. It took some adjustment when driving through a canyon of behemoths, staring at lugnuts one lane over. It's even worse in the rain where they kick up so much spray, making visibility near impossible. I'm very aware of driving out of their huge blind spots and oblivious drivers.
blitZ
When I park, I try and line up my back bumper with the cars I'm between. That way no one will try and pull in thinking there's no car in the space.
rwilner
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jun 8 2012, 11:25 AM) *

When I park, I try and line up my back bumper with the cars I'm between. That way no one will try and pull in thinking there's no car in the space.

agree.gif

also -- I got my wife, 2 sets of golf clubs, 2 overnight bags, my toolkit, car cover, a suit, her dress and a wedding gift in the 914 for a wedding in vermont last year.

It's small on the outside but big on the inside!
KELTY360
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jun 8 2012, 07:25 AM) *

agree.gif

Makes it easier to find the car in the parking lot also. I'm always amazed how small an obstruction can hide a 914 from view.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 8 2012, 06:13 AM) *

Now, all cars have increased in size.

Rand
What surprised me once was when I came back to the parking lot to find a first-gen MR2 parked next to my 914. That's the day I learned how tiny the old MR2s are.
markb
They look big when parked next to a Mini Cooper. smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 8 2012, 08:56 AM) *

They look big when parked next to a Mini Cooper. smile.gif

When I'm next to a Mini (not Mini Cooper) in my 914, the door handle is at my eye level.
struckn
Yep....small! That's one of it's greatest features IMO. By today's regulations and standards to make a car street legal, it is very hard to make a small car at a cost that is reasonable enough for mass sales.

For fun who wouldn't want a Street Legal Go Cart. I have a bounch of tuner guys in our area and always get their attention. Lately I've notice them waving at the car when our pathes cross?

driving.gif
smj
QUOTE(struckn @ Jun 8 2012, 10:52 AM) *

I have a bounch of tuner guys in our area and always get their attention. Lately I've notice them waving at the car when our pathes cross?

Tuesday night I took the -6 over to a pal's place where they wrench on their LeMons car (or whatever else needs attention) each week. As I was trying to merge onto I-80 Westbound to get to the Bay Bridge I had a guy in an HHR or PT Cruiser pulling alongside to try and find out if my car really had a six in it or not. Which was fine, except for how he kept taking both hands off the steering wheel to put up five fingers and a thumb, and his vehicle would start to drift towards me... dry.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif
somd914
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 8 2012, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ Jun 8 2012, 10:52 AM) *

I have a bounch of tuner guys in our area and always get their attention. Lately I've notice them waving at the car when our pathes cross?

Tuesday night I took the -6 over to a pal's place where they wrench on their LeMons car (or whatever else needs attention) each week. As I was trying to merge onto I-80 Westbound to get to the Bay Bridge I had a guy in an HHR or PT Cruiser pulling alongside to try and find out if my car really had a six in it or not. Which was fine, except for how he kept taking both hands off the steering wheel to put up five fingers and a thumb, and his vehicle would start to drift towards me... dry.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Given that he was driving an HHR or PT cruiser, he was probably trying to ask if you've done a V-8 swap but couldn't count that high!
euro911
Which one would you rater push when it broke down ... SUV vs 914?
somd914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 8 2012, 05:05 PM) *

No need to push a 914, just throw it in the back of the SUV!
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 8 2012, 05:19 PM) *

No lie, when my teener caught on fire last week I was about 6 blocks from home. Yes, I was able to put the fire out, but the best thing is I pushed it all the way home myself!

I personally find it rediculous how big cars have gotten. And even more rediculous the people who drive to and from work in a giant car/SUV by themselves no less and then have the gall to complain about gas prices. This is also one of the reasons why the Prius doesn't really impress me. Think about what kind of mileage it would make if it were stripped down and weighed as much as a 914...
racerbvd
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 8 2012, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 8 2012, 05:19 PM) *

No lie, when my teener caught on fire last week I was about 6 blocks from home. Yes, I was able to put the fire out, but the best thing is I pushed it all the way home myself!

I personally find it rediculous how big cars have gotten. And even more rediculous the people who drive to and from work in a giant car/SUV by themselves no less and then have the gall to complain about gas prices. This is also one of the reasons why the Prius doesn't really impress me. Think about what kind of mileage it would make if it were stripped down and weighed as much as a 914...

My big SUV hauls a lot of 914 parts, tows race cars and lots of other duties related to my work..
flipb
I found this guy parked next to me after stopping to pick up Chinese takeout a couple months ago.

Click to view attachment
RickS
As a cyclist, I never take for granted that people see me. I seldom give anyone the benefit of a doubt because it could be my last. With the 914 around large vehicles - including semis, I use the same strategy. I work to stay out of blind spots, get away from the sides of SUVs which can't see me next to them. I try to not park behind them for fear of being backed into. Personally I have nothing against SUVs because SUVs don't run over 914s, it's just some of their owners.
KELTY360
Proof that it's not necessary to be gynormous to haul around a lot of stuff. Vanagon wheelbase is 1/2" longer than 914!

Click to view attachment
championgt1
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 8 2012, 08:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Cool and scary at the same time. If that lifted Dodge rear ended you the bumper would end up meeting the back of your head! sad.gif
smj
QUOTE(RickS @ Jun 8 2012, 08:01 PM) *

As a cyclist, I never take for granted that people see me. ... With the 914 around large vehicles - including semis, I use the same strategy. I work to stay out of blind spots, get away from the sides of SUVs which can't see me next to them.

Same thing, but from the motorcyclist's perspective. It's not paranoia, they are trying to kill you... But even if you don't believe that -- and I think a few weeks riding will cure you of that -- it's certainly a safer assumption to work under.
VegasRacer
I'm sitting at a stop light and a Harley pulls up next to me.
The guy says "It looks like your butt is a foot off the ground!?"
I reply "More like 9 inches" biggrin.gif and take off as the light turns green.
euro911
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 8 2012, 09:29 PM) *
Cool and scary at the same time. If that lifted Dodge rear ended you the bumper would end up meeting the back of your head! sad.gif
Yeah ... the tires are taller than the main deck sad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 9 2012, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 8 2012, 09:29 PM) *
Yeah ... the tires are taller than the main deck sad.gif

That scares me, considering the only 2 accidents I have ever had were in my 914.. and both times I was run over while sitting still by 3/4 ton Ford pickups.

I always treat driving a 914 like riding a motorcycle. I assume that they can't see me at all, and am happy when they can.

Plus, most motorcycle guys realize how small and invisible the 914 is, and treat it the same way they would another motorcycle, and I reciprocate.

Remember, use the agility of the 914 to avoid the accident. Properly maintained stock brakes can out brake anything else on the road too.

ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
I was reading this thread yesterday and today I walk out to the parking lot after getting a bite to eat and see this. I couldn't help but laugh. I swear this was not staged or photoshopped. Pretty crazy.
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
in contrast, this photo is of one of the few times when I thought my car look kind of big.
euro911
Now you need to snap a shot of one of your MGs between a couple of those BIG pick ups unsure.gif
GeorgeRud
You also get the same feeling when you see a Miata next to a Lotus Élan, or an original Mini next to the current model.

Can't imagine what the owners of Lotus Europas or 7s must feel like these days! The pic of the 914 between the two pickups is scary enough, and that's why I like yellow 914s - hopefully they're as visible as they can be. But you certainly do learn to drive as if no one else can see you. Be safe out there!
pjhaun
How about this for size?!!!!!!!!
Click to view attachment
euro911
VegasRacer
bye1.gif
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

Same concept, different interpretation.

That is the stock ride height for my old truck. Its older then the 914 by 6 years. Trucks are always big. Old ones just stop like crap.

Zach
racerbvd
I was at the Boxster Introduction when it was 1st introduced in the USA, and drove my 914, somewhere I have a picture of how small the 914 is next to a "New" (97) then 986.... Don't we have some members here that have both???
I'll give the 914 this, it can really pack precious cargo...

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
I never forget how small it is biggrin.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jun 9 2012, 09:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment
in contrast, this photo is of one of the few times when I thought my car look kind of big.

Nice MG's... glad to see another Brit Car lover here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.