Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starting on the 70'. the "back in the day" machine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
rolleyes.gif where to start. i want to replicate the way the car would have looked when it came out of the factory. the car is on jerry mahoney's schedule for the paint at the end of june. body, trunks, jams, f/r hoods, eng comp, vals rockers, ect, the full meal deal. chassis tag reads L60E Irish Green. currently has some green that's sorta close. what's interesting is yellow showing under chips in the paint. maybe a custom order? i'll prob get a COA to find out what the story is. the interior color might be a custom order too.

i just can not do the engine compartment, have a swell paint job and barf.gif when the engine lid is opened. so the drive train will be removed. while the dt is out i'll swap the tin out for some nice powder coated tin, clean the oil cooler and cyl fins in place, and swap out the delortos for djet. pretty sure i have everything i need to do the change back. i'll use jack ingles swell 2.0 fi engine as a reference. bye bye to the momo wheel/shift knob and big stereo amp. see if craig can help me with the cracked early dash. heres a few picts that detail what i'm starting with.

this is a very nice chassis with most of what we spend lots-o-bucks to fix/upgrade done. +/- 1k mile on ext adj koni yellows w/140 progressives, new turbo tie rods, bump steer kit, ball joints, the 2.0, 2.0 ss he's, 4 wheel align/corner bal, + more than i can think of off hand.

aside from seals and farming out some interior fixes i shouldn't have to go out of pocket for much of anything. i'll cull my nice parts stash to help keep the bleeding down to a under transfusion status. with parts sales and using the insurance money from the shed collapse on the 75' i should do fairly well.

a few pictures to get things started.
SLITS
The Amoco wood dash is a killer Kevin .............. smoke.gif

but the cell phone holder is completely out of place. av-943.gif
sixnotfour
not for Dino....It goes with the Windermere Realestate frame on back.

Kevin I have 10433 7/70 L60E Blk 100% OG paint....In fact I gave Dino the headlight relay out of it. why i dont know , oh ya free breaky fast I think he called it.
championgt1
When do you want to drop the motor/tranny?
rhodyguy
i'm not gonna be advertising for windemere. i thought this one might be kind of old skool kool.

k
mstein95
bye1.gif Hi Kevin!!

Can't wait to see it done.
rhodyguy
after some more garage sweep up and pulling the dels, i'll be preping for the pull today. ill have to be organized (i'm not so much) w/the disasem but i have to be on task if i want to make the deadline. sending a pm jack.

k
Tom_T
Hey Kevin, a few thoughts if you're trying to make this true to original 69/70 showroom look....

It's well worth getting the COA to be sure, but that looks like the original #31 (401/402/403 material color codes) "Beige" interior with perforated seat/back inserts & the dark tan loop pile carpet, which was an optional upgrade on the 914/4 1.7 then. You can save $20 as a PCA member &/or $20 if you send them a copy of the window sticker (if you have it).

However, double check the COA & make sure that they translate the code correctly for the interior, since #11 is black & #31 is Beige & the PCNA COA staff regularly misinterpret the older Porsche option codes. It took me 3 times, providing documentation from Jeff Bowlsby's website on color/material codes, & going to the Div. GM to get them to correctly put "#31 Beige" instead of "#31 Black" on my 73 2L's COA (9 mo. PITA!). Ask them to give you all of the actual option codes for it to, then check Bowlsby's Options List to make sure they're all right. PCNA is supposed to do any/all corrects at no additional cost (PM me if you get grief & I'll give you the GM's contact info.).

Bad news is the carpet & upholstery materials are NLA. World Upholstery, Autos International & a few others have a "close" tan & brown speckled 914 carpet set called "Cinnamon" IIRC (they'll send you free samples), and a smooth & maybe the perforated vinyl upholstery in a "close" tan or saddle (get samples), but it won't match your color so you'd have to reupholster everything - which the original looks excellent anyway (I know as I have the 73 equivalent interior).

IPB Image

It just looks like somebody either couldn't find, didn't want to wait for or pay for a proper matching center cushion/stow tray option in the Biege, & settled for black. I've seen one or two come up on evil-bay in with the beige cushion (all trays are black IIRC), and AA may still have an NOS Beige cushion - if you don't mind a small transfusion! biggrin.gif

That "Cherry" finish wood dash overlay was also a dealer option/accessory "franchised" by Porsche, & my buddy has a lighter finish one on his cherry Bahia Red/Plack 71 914/4, but I agree that you need to lose the cell phone holder! laugh.gif

It looks like the lower part of the pass. armrest is missing, and that should have the same matching beige smooth leatherette on it, as is on the driver side map pocket ("all black only" for those didn't come til 74-76). Also hunt down another chrome window crank as on the pass side, for the driver side, since that's the proper one. IIRC it was a smooth leatherette on door panels for 70 & 71 MYs - not basketweave.

IPB Image
IPB Image

And then track down a nice set of 5 optional Pedrini Alloys, or the optional 5.5 wide Steelies from 70-72 MYs with the optional chromed trim rings & center hubcaps (most dealers sold them with the Porsche crest in color centers or plain - whichever you prefer), since those "Mag style" steel wheels on there didn't come in until the 73 MY. It probably had one of those originally, since it looks like a heavily optioned 70 914/4 with Appearance Group, etc.

IPB Image

Looking forward to the progress.... popcorn[1].gif

BTW - love the screen name "rhodyguy," but in the 60's in San Diego we used "Grody" - so it must be a north - south west coast difference! laugh.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

rhodyguy
3 items destined for the green car. piratenanner.gif i've had the wing window seals so long i don't even remember where i found them. logging off and going to work.

k
ThePaintedMan
Good luck to you Kevin! Oooh, if you're going for the "original" look, how much would you be looking to get if someone were to take that wheel and adapter off of your hands? smile.gif

rhodyguy
the stuff we save for years asking ourselves "why?". the temp gauge currently in the car is functional. easy swap. wow, crappy picture. the set is swell.

k
Bleyseng
NIce project!
Tom_T
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 9 2012, 12:38 AM) *

the stuff we save for years asking ourselves "why?". the temp gauge currently in the car is functional. easy swap. wow, crappy picture. the set is swell.

k

Depending upon how exact you want it to be, the OT gauge insert is from a late 74-76 with the narrow red band, so an early wide red band one for 70-73 MYs would be correct. Otherwise, if ain't broke.....

IPB Image
rhodyguy
nnnnow i get it! the one in the car has temp under the window in the gauge whereas the the one i want to use has a red B. so, the lack of the silver center is no foul?

k

what's the story with the BIG pictures and text that runs beyond the edge of the desk top? i don't recall having to scroll to read everything side to side.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 9 2012, 04:07 PM) *

nnnnow i get it! the one in the car has temp under the window in the gauge whereas the the one i want to use has a red B. so, the lack of the silver center is no foul?

k

what's the story with the BIG pictures and text that runs beyond the edge of the desk top? i don't recall having to scroll to read everything side to side.

I don't know about big pix, I'm not scrolling.

The early (73 2.0 4) version did have the silver bullet center - as in your fuzzy "SirAndy style pic" - but it should have the "B" in the circle for the parking/E-Brake warning light. The OT Gauge is an insert attached from the back & can be removed to service or remount in your other gauge, etc. & it sits where the "standard" fuel gauge unit has the big flashing E-brake light instead, so it has the little brake idiot light in the row of 4 below instead.

http://p914.com/p914_gauges_combo.htm
- look at 73 vs 74-76 2.0, the 70-72 914-6 one is year appropriate & some use them, but harder to find & usually more $$s.

Go look at gauges at p914.com for the differences by model year in these Fuel/OT combo gauges.

Hope that helps.

That p914 site & Bowlsby's have a lot of great originality info., as well as the O&H Forum on here.

popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
Very nice ! Gonna follow this smile.gif
rhodyguy
i had a 69' light blue ghia with the dash face the same color as the body. i plan on replicating that look. the base for the pass side grab handle is gone. i have a plan so that i can somewhat match the current vinyl instead of going to black on the bottoms.

k
rhodyguy
i don't care for that more money part too much tom. i think the one in the car that works will be just fine.

i had a 69' robin's egg blue ghia with the dash face the same color as the body. i want to duplicate that look. the base for the pass side grab handle is gone. i have a plan so i can somewhat match the current vinyl on a plastic base from the 75'. the car won't be as it left the factory. close, but not quite. better? maybe.

k
sixnotfour
kevin I have a seat that color you can use the vinyl off the back of it for the grab handle bottom.
exact match
rhodyguy
excellent jeff! i was going to section a piece from the back of the drivers seat and patch the hole so the vinyl would match up well. either that or go back to black pocket and base. i didn't want to do that. please bring the seat with you when you come for the sections off of the red car.

k
rhodyguy
the silver car rolled over to the neighbor's pole building and my wife got her side of the garage back yest. boxed and put stuff away, cleared the engine compartment, preped for the drop tomorrow and ran out of steam. found a couple of tiny surprises. after the car is taken apart and pressure washed it will swap places with the silver car until the trip to kelso. the muffler will go in for coating this week. off with the chrome tip and a grey coating like the stock bananas. the carbed engine is for the silver car. i hope to be in a 914 10 days out.

k
championgt1
Getting stuff done. See you in the am! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
dinomium
I thought the lower pass side door thingy was in the pile o parts. I will look again to make sure it didnt get left behind. I did find an early style engine mounting bar, another tagra roof and swing arms. If you want em, come get em before Steenie chucks them out. I have lost control of the garage.
rhodyguy
she's been a very patient girl. i would have had you sleeping in the 914 long ago. i'm holding the totes hostage until i can get up there.

rhodyguy
she's been a very patient girl. i would have had you sleeping in the 914 long ago. i'm holding the totes hostage until i can get up there.

rhodyguy
1. raise rear of the car. put it on jackstands and leave the wheels on.
2. disconnect all the wiring, fuel lines in the engine compartment, remove carbs, linkage, and intakes.
3 disconnect axles, rear shift rod, remove flapper valves & hoses, disconnect speedo and clutch cables, loosen trans mount and outboard engine bar fasteners.
4. remove tires and place 2 floor jacks under the rear control arms. raise rear of car as high as you can with the jacks and remove the stands.
5. roll furniture dolly under the engine.
6. SLOWLY lower the car as evenly as you can while releasing the jacks.
7. when the engine/trans is a 3-4" above the dolly, place some short pieces of lumber across the the dolly. the distance you are trying to fill will prob be higher in the front.
8. VERY SLOWLY lower the car so there is contact between the dolly and the engine/trans ensuring the heat exh and other breakable items aren't trapped.
9. remove trans and outboard eng bar fasteners. raise car as high as you can. the eng/tans should be free of the body at this point. roll the dolly out.

real simple and safe method.

thanks to jack ingle (championgt1) for coming over to lend a hand. we stripped the old tin off of the engine. the cyls, oil cooler, and the engine in general look very good and should require a minimal amount of cleaning. also removed the bumpers and front valance

i have a new clutch/pressure plate i will install and source a new throwout bearing pivot clip, throwout arm ball cup bushing, and the 2 plastic clips on the throwout bearing. it was a busy day.

k
sixnotfour
Really decent 914 . lottsa of uh whats that for ? custom/ accessories from the DAPOwners ......Hi Dino biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
after being laid up for a couple of weeks with back issues, i saw some rust stains on the floor tar and decided to take it up. THE HORROR!!!. parts car.

k
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 23 2012, 01:37 PM) *

after being laid up for a couple of weeks with back issues, i saw some rust stains on the floor tar and decided to take it up. THE HORROR!!!. parts car.

k

pics?
championgt1
WHAT? barf.gif
rhodyguy
WTF.gif
rhodyguy
biggrin.gif unreal.
rhodyguy
shades.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 23 2012, 12:50 PM) *

WTF.gif

Looks like you're screwed Kevin. I'd file a complaint with the Attorney General! smash.gif
sixnotfour
With that many Pics .. I think youre braging..
greenie
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 10 2012, 04:07 PM) *

the silver car rolled over to the neighbor's pole building and my wife got her side of the garage back yest. boxed and put stuff away, cleared the engine compartment, preped for the drop tomorrow and ran out of steam. found a couple of tiny surprises. after the car is taken apart and pressure washed it will swap places with the silver car until the trip to kelso. the muffler will go in for coating this week. off with the chrome tip and a grey coating like the stock bananas. the carbed engine is for the silver car. i hope to be in a 914 10 days out.

k

I think your ten days are up?

Nice car Kevin! beerchug.gif
messix
i'll be over with a pack of sawzall blades and help you cut it up! sawzall-smiley.gif
championgt1
I knew better! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.