Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 value with 75 front clip?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daiberl
Hello,

on PP is a 914-6 listed for $25k, problem is they had a small accident in the past and cut the complete frontend and put on a 1975 front end, including both fenders, trunk pan, and wheel well with VIN#. They have the original VIN cut off the old part but would you buy such a car??? I'm on the hunt for a -6 but not too sure about this one, what's your opinion?

- Juergen
JRust
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jun 8 2012, 10:01 AM) *

Hello,

on PP is a 914-6 listed for $25k, problem is they had a small accident in the past and cut the complete frontend and put on a 1975 front end, including both fenders, trunk pan, and wheel well with VIN#. They have the original VIN cut off the old part but would you buy such a car??? I'm on the hunt for a -6 but not too sure about this one, what's your opinion?

- Juergen

For 25k I would say hell no! It is no longer an original six at that point. No matter how well it was done I would say it's overpriced. I would buy a nice six conversion over that personally. Would I drive it & like it? Sure! I just wouldn't pay that much for it. It basically has a salvadge title which drops it's value no matter how well the fix was.
sixnotfour
And it has the 471 aluminum tag on the headlight bucket, Not the correct 914.
Dumbass who ever did the clip.

Correction the metallic green one that has a front clip has the wrong trunk tag 33k Samba.

I dont know about the Yellow one....my bad

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1306799
sixnotfour
Jurgen,
you missed the 2 that sold local (Seattle) for 25-30, both nice 914-6's.

Any news from your brother ?
carr914
Well it doesn't have the Original Engine, half of a 914 welded on & no picture

Plus the always scary - no serious Rust

So, No
sixnotfour
On a side note ; My Six I bought in 1978 Is missing the windshield VIN tag, The body shop who replaced the windshield cut it out while removing the old windshield. ( you know back when they were still sealed) anyway when I had it inspected from Colorado to Washington. The State Patrol just noted it as being common on the report. Much bigger concern these days.
toolguy
Making such a swap leads to real legal can of worms. . It's illegal to alter vin numbers. .and that means moving the piece of metal with the vin from one body to another. . . don't quite know how this falls in your state but I'd stay away from it unless it has DMV paperwork that match exactly whats actually on the car. . .

so did they change the whole front clip, then move the 914043xxxx vin from the old fender well to the new one ??

or does the front clip have the 1975 vin on the fender well. . .

I can see you trying to explain this to a cop as you're being placed in handcuffs when your paperwork doesn't match and the car is impounded. . . and if it has the 1975 vin, then it's not a real 6 and it isn't worth anything more than a salvaged 914-4 car with a six engine added
Daiberl
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2012, 10:51 AM) *

Jurgen,
you missed the 2 that sold local (Seattle) for 25-30, both nice 914-6's.

Any news from your brother ?

Yes, news from my brother, will PM you later. If you hear about a 914-6 let me know, I need a new project. I think I will pass on the one at pelican.
rhodyguy
a "small accident" that required a whole new front end chopped off of another car. run away. let someone else buy the headache.

k
Cap'n Krusty
I'd be really wary of a 914, or almost any unibody car, that's had a front clip done. Mostly, they're just plain scary. A prominent POCer had one come apart on the track at Willow, and someone died.

The Cap'n
MikeSpraggi
I bought a Frankenteener about 5 years ago now. Full '72 front clip with 472... VIN in the trunk and the rest is a true -6. Windshield has the 914.... VIN. Tracked it pretty hard for 4 years always checked the weld. The clip was welded on back in the early 70's I believe the last owner told me. Had been on the track prior to me as well. It is titled as a -6, no salvage. Bought it for under $10k with a verifiable fresh engine rebuild. I believe the engine is original but need to verify. There was no hiding of anything by the PO prior to purchase. I don't care if it's a two-fer-one 914. It (mostly ... front bumper) looks like a -6, drives like a -6, smelss like a -6, has those unique -6 parts/features and is titled as a -6. I have no plans to ever sell the car so no need for me to try and pass it off for anything other than what it is. I'm just lovin' to drive it each time I fire it up biggrin.gif . It is now retired from the track. Used the cookie cutters for track duty, now sports the 14" Fuchs that came with the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I would have to included really rusty cars In My Opionion.

every repair needs to be high scrutinized.

That said MYSIX will have a, new left front fender, new right door, new left quarter panel, new rear taillight panel, new trunk lid , and part of the right rear fender. But zero rust repair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.