Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ring orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
1.8l engine with bigbore kit. Is there an up or down position for the piston rings? If so, what faces up?
Also, what should the gap be for these rings?
Valy
one side of the ring should be marked with "TOP" for compression rings only.
Oil ring is symmetrical.
Check my rebuild thread in my signature for gaps. The stroke is irrelevant, just the diameter. You want the gap a bit bigger than the 94mm spec.
timothy_nd28
My kit has 8 piston compression rings, all of which were not gapped, super glad I checked before installing!
Of the 8 rings, 4 were marked with a tiny "top". The others had no markings anywhere, including the oil rings. I found a lawnmower repair website, which showed some pictures of the orientation. The ring marked top, does go on top, which happens to have the inside bevel facing up. The 2nd compression ring has the inside bevel facing down. The oil rings are symmetric and doesn't matter.
I hope this website was correct, thanks again for the help. My car runs nice, and pulls pretty hard driving.gif
Jake Raby
You were assuming the rings were gapped? In engine building the only assumptions that are correct are those that assume that something isn't right. Assume nothing, quantify everything .
euro911
Click to view attachment

Also, don't forget the orientation of each ring (compass headings, if you will)

Install the top ring @ 1:00, 2nd ring @ 7:00, top oil ring @ 11:00 and bottom oil ring @ 5:00.
a914622
I have always put the champher to the top, But i just got a set of svx rings from Total seal and the top ring has no champher? I called and they said it can go in both ways.

I also check the ring inner dia against the piston ring seat dia. I got a set back in the day that was .010 smaller dia on the ring than the piston ring seat dia.

jcl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.