Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Shroud finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914werke
confused24.gif So does anyone have an NOS shroud or pic of one?
Im of the opinion that they may have been yellow Zinc plated originally, much like a good number of fasteners used on the 914.
Ive recently started refinishing a couple or three, and on the ones that had undercoating applied ... back in the day, removal of that black layer of rubberized
crap shows a nice shiny Yellow surface. idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 8 2012, 03:47 PM) *

confused24.gif So does anyone have an NOS shroud or pic of one?
Im of the opinion that they may have been yellow Zinc plated originally, much like a good number of fasteners used on the 914.
Ive recently started refinishing a couple or three, and on the ones that had undercoating applied ... back in the day, removal of that black layer of rubberized
crap shows a nice shiny Yellow surface. idea.gif

Watched this for a bit.

Rich,

All I can say is that my '72, which I am the original owner of, has a shroud that is not yellow zinc played. May have been zinc treated, but it was clear.

I suspect that the the undercoating you removed may have stained the original finish since it was tar based. MO
Pat
914runnow
Cosmoline..it was on the tranny and the engine bar too...
I think Paterek knows where to get some...
(damn I have not been on this in a few years)..
Rx
nathansnathan
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jun 11 2012, 09:12 PM) *

Cosmoline..it was on the tranny and the engine bar too...
I think Paterek knows where to get some...
(damn I have not been on this in a few years)..
Rx

agree.gif Cosmoline or like anoline, a light spray of some kind of yellow gold wax. I have used CRC marine corrosion inhibitor, is similar, but putting on as much as you'd want it comes out very gold, maybe too much so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.