Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok this getting annoying...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thestigz06
Alright guys so I pulled the motor a few weeks ago and went through it all and now I Have it installed again but the s.o.b. doesn't want to start. I have a new set of points and condenser(pertronix failed), cap and rotor, Plug wires, coil, and plugs. I was timing it yesterday and it just quit on me. Upon investigation I found the plugs aren't getting any power.

Any thoughts on what it could be out there?? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
Transmission ground strap? May be bad grounds. If your coil has power, you can "tap" a test light on the negative terminal and induce a spark. You will know if the coil and plugs work. If they do, your points need adjustment.
Thestigz06
It's hooked up ok but it's very worn. Would that make a difference?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Jun 9 2012, 08:49 AM) *

It's hooked up ok but it's very worn. Would that make a difference?

Corrosion, damage and age will effect the quality of your ground path. Old cars can benefit from additional grounds. The chassis steel is full of corrosion. The chassis ground path is now passed through the old spotwelds only.

If all you did was swap the points back in AND everything else is connected correctly... Most likely is is an adjustment problem with your points. Are you sure they are opening and closing?
Thestigz06
Yeah theyre(fuching autocorrect) opening and closing and gapped at .016
Tom
First make sure you are getting 12 volts to the coil with a meter or light tester. If no power, then you will have to trace the wires back to the relay board and ignition switch.
If you have power to the coil, remove the high voltage wire and lay it next to ground. Remove the negative wire to points and condenser, and tach wire. Now put a jumper from the negative side to hang loose. Turn on the power at the ignition switch and tap the jumper to ground. Getting a spark from the high voltage wire? If no, coil or high voltage wire is defective. If yes, you need to check out your points AND/or condenser.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.