Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hood repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
I will start body work on my hoods soon and wonder what is the best way to address this issue.
The sub structure to hood panel bonds, on both of my cars front hoods, have visibly degraded.
Rear hoods are not bad.
The one shown has a lot of flex and has lost 80% of the bond.
There are some small dents I need to work out then I figure I should rebond the sub structure before final prep for paint.
I am thinking, let it cure with a good rubber seal and the hood shut to take any rack out.
Too rigid a bond and I would be concerned about a mark off on the top, to soft and it will flex and not hold up...
Any suggestions on bonding agent or proven method?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 9 2012, 01:41 PM) *

I will start body work on my hoods soon and wonder what is the best way to address this issue.
The sub structure to hood panel bond on both of my cars front hoods have visibly degraded.
Rear hoods are not bad.
The one shown has a lot of flex and has lost 80% of the bond.
There are some small dents I need to work out then I figure I should rebond the sub structure before final prep for paint.
I am thinking with a good rubber seal and the hood shut to take any rack out.
Too rigid a bond and I would be concerned about a mark off on the top to soft and it will flex, not hold up...
Any suggestions on bonding agent or proven method?

Sorry but I don't have any advice on the repair. It seems there are a lot of hoods available. People who part out cars have an abundance of them. For some reason, they are not big sellers. Think about a replacement.
smj
I'm slowly working through RiqueMar's build thread, and just passed this point where he decided to add spot welds to the very area you're talking about: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...8955&st=80#

There's a brief mention of a ripple afterwards, then the car is painted. Not clear to me if he had an issue caused by the spot welds or not...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 9 2012, 11:41 AM) *
The sub structure to hood panel bond on both of my cars front hoods have visibly degraded.

Each and every hood i have ever seen had the exact same problem ...
dry.gif
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 9 2012, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jun 9 2012, 11:41 AM) *

Each and every hood i have ever seen had the exact same problem ...
dry.gif

agree.gif
Jeff Hail
Wurth its weight in gold. It won't suck the outer skin down as it cures leaving low spots. When the Miata's came out they had a bond issue on the aluminum hoods and this is what the factory recommended. Thats how I found this.

sixnotfour
another brand ;
http://www.kolorhouse.com/fus-124.html
ruby914
These look like good products.
Expands 10x, sounds a little like Garilla glue but cures faster, I will have to be careful working with it.

Thanks Guys
ape914
havent seen one hood yet that is bonded fully to the frame, and I have seen many. maybe they never were bonded that well.

most of the not-bonded hoods still fit well, and are not having bond related cosmetic issues on the outside.
sixnotfour
some are some aren't, if it oil cans you need it, if it don't you don't

Slits made me reply
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.