Replacing Sony Z505SX.

Good Morning List.

I’m looking for a replacement for my Z505SX. I want the same high build quality and display quality. I would like built in wireless and occasionally need a modem (which puts the X505 out) I want a 7 series processor either greater than 1.0 ULV or greater than 1.7.

The portability is not as big of deal as it used to be, and built in drives and a slightly larger screen is fine. I used to use an IBM 600E at work and liked the size and construction of it the screen was not as nice as mine though. We now use X30’s at work and the screen on them is still not as nice as the Sony, but acceptable. We also use Fujitsu ST4121 tablets and the build quality of them is very good and the screen although smaller is about equal to the Sony. I don’t really want a tablet for my personal use though.

I ordered and received an IBM T42 2378FZU (15” 1024x768, 1.7) It is being returned as it is simply too huge and the screen is just not good, the 1024x768 simply does not look good on the large screen and the display seems dull.

I’ve considered the IBM T42 FVU which is a (14.1” 1400x1250, with 1.7) and have found some comparison photos of it and the 15 inch side by side that seem to indicate that it would be acceptable to me. It will end up costing more to match the memory of the 15 inch though which doesn’t seem like good value. I’m reluctant to order another if I’m not sure that I’ll be happy as it seems unfair for me to do so and send it back to IBM, since I’m sure they loose money on each one returned. In addition although they give price breaks to certain groups, they seem totally unwilling to negotiate price at all with me, and I’m unwilling to lie to them about being a student of something.

I’ve been looking around and it seems that there is really no Sony that interest me, except possibly the T series (the X505 is a thing of beauty, but I’m unwilling to compromise that much on features) and it also seems that every thing I like the looks of aside from the IBM’s is an Ultra portable with a smaller screen. (Fujitsu P7000, Sony X and T series)

Any way, obviously I’m pretty fickle here with not real clear requirements. Looks and price is important, but I’ll pay what it takes to get one I’ll be happy with. I think that the quality of the screen is THE most important factor, but it simply can’t be as large as the 15” IBM. It needs to last a very long time.

So, I guess my real question is who has a screen equal to Sony’s “X-brite” and high build quality?

I can’t find one single one of these machines to view at any of the major stores.