Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil fill tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nickp997
i have small leak that appears to be at bottom of oil fill tube (rectangle gasket). minor around town but worsens on highway. I've replaced gasket a few times but leak seems to remain. Local shop informed me there should be two gaskets there but all tech info says only one. Would like insight from others. Thanks
type47
With mention of rectangular gasket, it sounds like you have a 2.0. First I'd say is try to "adjust" (didn't want to use the work "bend" ) the clamping wire to put a little more pressure on the seal then second, maybe some sealer on the gasket (I sometimes use some sealer on the valve cover gasket). Is your case vented (vents on heads)? Maybe some crankcase pressure is leaking past the gasket.
kkid
In my case, the gasket was fit perfectly only if it was set as a trapezoid rather than rectangle.
76-914
look at the face of your gasket to see if it seated properly. how's your compression on the engine? is the egr valve connected and ok?
TheCabinetmaker
The gasket is not rectangular. Its a trapezoid, as the kid mentioned. It only fits one way. 2.0 and 1.7 use the same filler and gasket. I think the 1.8 uses the same gasket too, it just has a different fill tower. The bale can lose its "spring" after many pry on and pry off cycles. I use two pair or needle nose to slightly "reshape" the bale. You can use some avaition permatex, but you should not need it.

Oh yeah, one gasket only. two will surely leak.
sean_v8_914
tweak the wire bail for more tension. I also glue mine down on both sides. i use tribond 1104 or something that stays a little gummy to cope with vibrations and PVC hose wiggle
sean_v8_914
i mean PCV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.