Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Is that Barney Oldfield & a Boat Tailed Racer ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Nah, it's my best buddy from back woods TX. I found this email he sent me in '08. Bob and I became friends in the aviation community years back. We both built and sold our planes about the same time. This was Bob's first attack after selling his plane. As you can see, his skills vastly out weigh mine dry.gif . Below is a copy of the email:

I finally got some pics of the roadster with paint on it.
This thing is pretty close to being done.
It's got all of about 300 miles on it.
This is an old tech hot rod for sure.
I have discovered that there have been great advances in handling since the Model A front axle, bias ply tires, friction shocks and drum brakes. This thing can scare the crap out of you going in a straight line! I don't know the top speed but it is geared for 109 at 4000 rpm. (yes, that is the engine redline) My butt puckers at about 65-70.
I figure the engine is putting out about 150 HP which is just about all this car needs...
It has a 270 cubic inch Buick straight 8 bored out .040, head milled .080 which brings the compression all the way up to 8.0:1, the two carburetors have a total of 580 CFM which is about twice what the engine needs. (I limit the throttle opening)
I basically built everything. (Even welded up the frame) It uses a 64 Ford rear end, Model A front end, and Chrysler steering. The transmission is actually a Buick with a Ford C4 tailshaft and 12" long driveshaft.
The body is a one off done with a male mold. It only weighs 40 pounds. (Which makes up for the 1000# engine)

The weather is finally cooling off here so I hope to get some serious miles on it now. We had 49 days of 100+ temperatures this summer. I sure was glad to have an air conditioned shop!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Now that is awesome!
abnrdo
That is true artwork! first.gif
bulitt
Sweet. Love the grill!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.