Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Fuel Pump will do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbob42
$180 for a retro fuel pump. Will any 40+ psi in/out/return fuel pump work? '73 914 2.0
ClayPerrine

Here is a simple, easy to find replacement.

Airtex Universal EFI Electric Fuel Pump

IPB Image

Airtex E8445 is the part number.

Inlet and outlet sizes are 5/16 so there is no adapters required.

I bought it at O'Reilley for 114.99. It has been running on Betty's L-Jet 74 for about a year now. It works great, and is available at most FLAPS.

Considering the D-Jet and the L-Jet use the same fuel pump, I figure it will work fine with the D-Jet too.

914_teener
ohhh...I wouldn't use those hose clamps.

I use a similar 2 port pump. works fine on my D-jet.
pbob42
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 11 2012, 04:56 PM) *

What do you do with the third line? Return line right?
JawjaPorsche
I assume the pump you have now is a three prong pump? If so, the new pumps only have two prongs. Get rid of the plastic Y hose connector. Only one return line to the fuel tank.

QUOTE(pbob42 @ Jun 11 2012, 08:16 PM) *

pbob42
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jun 11 2012, 05:38 PM) *

I assume the pump you have now is a three prong pump? If so, the new pumps only have two prongs. Get rid of the plastic Y hose connector. Only one return line to the fuel tank.

gotcha
swl

The third line on the three port tees into the return line. In two port the return line just goes straight back to the tank. The three port design helps in priming by shunting any air from the supply to the return. It also serves as over pressure pop off.
Katmanken
I don't know why you would screw with another pump when the Bosch pumps are so robust and reliable, and don't cost a lot more

Here's Bus Depot's price on the inline pump used in the EFI Beetle, Bus, and Vanagon, and works great on a 914.

Bus Depot does european trips, and buys either from the auto maker, or buys from the OEM parts manufacturer that supplied the parts to the auto makers assembly line.

They have a Pierburg for $280 and a Bosch for $149. Both were supplied by VW on new Vanagons. I've used both and they look and run the same.

Bus Depot EFI Inline Pumps- OEM Bosch $149
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Jun 11 2012, 09:49 PM) *

I don't know why you would screw with another pump when the Bosch pumps are so robust and reliable, and don't cost a lot more

Here's Bus Depot's price on the inline pump used in the EFI Beetle, Bus, and Vanagon, and works great on a 914.

Bus Depot does european trips, and buys either from the auto maker, or buys from the OEM parts manufacturer that supplied the parts to the auto makers assembly line.

They have a Pierburg for $280 and a Bosch for $149. Both were supplied by VW on new Vanagons. I've used both and they look and run the same.

I was unaware of bus depot.

Most of the "OEM" pumps people were getting were Chinese knock offs, and very poor quality and had to be ordered and shipped. Plus they were charging upwards of $400.00 for them. The Peerburg is a very good pump, but it still requires shipping.

The pump I put in this thread is available by walking into Pep Boys, O'Reilly, or Autozone and giving them the part number. If they don't have it, they can get it in a few hours, or if it's a Sunday, the next day. That can be beneficial if you are stranded in BFE with a dead fuel pump.

pbob42
Picked it up last night - removing the "y" connection, putting in a new fuel filter up stream and an EFI fuel filter down stream ( just to protect the injectors). Thanks for the help.
Katmanken
Well, I did put one of those Autozone pumps in my daughters Volvo because she was desperate to get it running "RIGHT NOW" and I was a bit underwhelmed by the quality. When I fired it up, it made as much whining noise as my Bosch pump did right before it crapped out from being fed ground up metal and clay from a bad load of gas. Daughter hated the noise, felt it would leave her stranded, and sold the car.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Jun 11 2012, 07:49 PM) *

In 32 years of working on Vanagons, I've never seen an OE installed Pierberg fuel pump. Of course, I haven't seen ALL the Vanagons, but I have seen a significant number of them. They do make a good pump, but they're expensive and the Bosch ones seem to work fine and last a long time. As for a filter after the pump as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you better be absolutely sure it's rated for 30PSI and more. 40-50 would be better.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.