Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice: #3 valve tight...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
my '75 2.0 motor with unknown mileage:

-engine still pulls strong
-unknown previous maintenance, but it's been spoiled since i've had it.
-known cracks in heads around smog ports (one smog tube is sealed up with JB weld. i still got a little redneck in me).

My issue:

#3 intake valve has been tightening up on me for the past few months. i've been checking it about every 500 miles, it's either super tight (zero -- or negative -- lash) or exactly where i left it. I've got one more AX for the season, then i can pull the engine and investigate (tempting fate).

knowing this:

would you guys just pull the heads for a valve job?

or would you go ahead and do a (gulp) full rebuild?

what would you base your decision on?

my absolute max budget for the car right now is about $2.5-3k, although getting out for around $1k would be an enormous relief...

any and all advice appreciated. aktion035.gif

nathan
SirAndy
sounds like the valve seat is moving ...

that's not good!
i'd pull the heads and have them rebuild ...

cool.gif Andy

PS: try to figure out WHY it's moving. does #3 get too hot?
Trekkor
Nathan, I would first pull and inspect the heads.
Then decide between rebuilding or new.

Maybe some big valved heads to squeeze out a little more power?

while it's apart, inspect the clutch and pressure plate, check for any oil leaks and clean the oil cooler.

Leave the bottom end alone for now.

You should stay way under budget. cool_shades.gif

KT
Cap'n Krusty
You could EASILY spend a thousand dollars on a quality cylinder head rebuild, plus valves, given the tendency for these heads to crack. In fact, they MAY not be rebuildable.
Considering the fact the valve is tightening, you are running a big risk every time you start the car. Either a seat is sinking into the head, or the valve is stretching. Both are bad, the latter is worse. If the guides are worn out, the odds are the valve is stretching. You DON'T want to drop a valve. The Cap'n
nebreitling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 16 2004, 03:40 PM)
Considering the fact the valve is tightening, you are running a big risk every time you start the car.

so you're saying that i shouldn't be racing the car right now? wink.gif

thanks guys beer.gif

it makes me sad. given that i have ZERO garage space, i don't really want to f-ck with this right now sad.gif

maybe my roomates won't mind if i take over the kitchen table for a while.
Britain Smith
Hey Nathan...you can get the heads redone for around $500 from the guy that does all my machine work. You can do it over at my place if you want.

-Britain
nebreitling
thanks britain, might take you up on that. beerchug.gif
Trekkor
It looks like our friendly a/x competition will have to wait 'til next year.

KT
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Oct 16 2004, 04:09 PM)
Hey Nathan...you can get the heads redone for around $500 from the guy that does all my machine work. You can do it over at my place if you want.

-Britain

You get what you pay for .............................. The Cap'n
nebreitling
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 16 2004, 05:33 PM)
It looks like our friendly a/x competition will have to wait 'til next year.

KT

oh, just saw this...

DOES ANYONE HAVE A TIRED, BARELY RUNNING 1.7 THAT I COULD BORROW SO THAT I CAN BEAT TREKKOR?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

sorry, dude... i couldn't resist. gotta get all my hurrahs in before you finish the six...

beerchug.gif
Type 4
Use your bore scope and take a look at the valve.
nebreitling
the question is, which of my many borescopes do i use!!

j/k -- that's a good idea, but i don't have access to a borescope.
DrifterJay
jeus christ capt....re fucking lax...your like the voice of fucking doom... cool.gif
Trekkor
Nay, Nay. biggrin.gif

Don't be a baby. ohmy.gif
Get the work done next weekend so you can thrash me at the end of the month. cool_shades.gif

KT
nebreitling
yeah, yeah, i know... but the first saturday or sunday that isn't raining (i hate the f-ing rain!!!), the engine is coming out. after that, i'm at the whim of the machine shop.

n
Trekkor
If you don't get it before the 30th at the Stick, you can come up to Infineon on Nov 14th. Do it!

KT
nebreitling
idea.gif good idea!

that gives me some motivation, too.
Trekkor
Happy to help.
You and Darren are pushing me to run hard.

I love it!

KT
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 16 2004, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Oct 16 2004, 04:09 PM)
Hey Nathan...you can get the heads redone for around $500 from the guy that does all my machine work.  You can do it over at my place if you want.

-Britain

You get what you pay for .............................. The Cap'n

Yea, this is the case in most situations. However, the guy that does all my machine work is the same guy that did all of "The Maestro's" work and does a really awesome job. He does take a while though...

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.