Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
I'm thinking about adding a rear wing for hill climbs as down force on high speed corners is a good thing.

So what are you running and where did you get it?

grantsfo
I like what the guys who run POC on willow are doing with wings. Making sure they get them high enough to grab fairly clean airflow. Mounting as far back as possible,

IPB Image

IPB Image
J P Stein
Sure you do.

At SCCA AX on a 914 the wing's highest point (including end plates) has to be no more than 12 inches above the mounting surface and (in plan view) not extend passed the plan form of the car.
The red car looks iffy & the black car is a "no way".

Good luck.
URY914
I made my own. Took me awhile but it works.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:20 PM) *

I made my own. Took me awhile but it works.

At what speeds do you start to seee downforce Paul?

I'd love to have a SCCA legal wing for autox, but also need something for hill climbs. In hillclimbs need downforce for those intermediate corners with speeds above 60, but below 100.
EdwardBlume
I saw a Noble last night which had an upward wing mounted on the rear trunk with a big wide elevated wing from fender to fender. The gap between the two looked like about a foot. It sure looked like it would provide ample down force.. for a Noble.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 12 2012, 05:52 PM) *

Sure you do.

At SCCA AX on a 914 the wing's highest point (including end plates) has to be no more than 12 inches above the mounting surface and (in plan view) not extend passed the plan form of the car.
The red car looks iffy & the black car is a "no way".

Good luck.

I don't think I have seen Randals car at a single SCCA AX event ever in past 10 years. If he's focused on Hillclimbs, PCA ax, non SCCA events who cares? In hillclimbing he is in open class. Why compromise with silly SCCA Solo AX rule that will never matter?

I can assure you know one at UFO or AAS event would ever care about whether XP car had a wing that was a little taller than SCCA rules they'd actually applaud it. There is a bit of antiSCCA sentiment in both clubs.
URY914
Hard for me to say at what speed the wing starts to work for me. I'm not looking at a speedo on an a/x even if I had a speedo. biggrin.gif

I do know that I have been in a thrid gear long sweeper and the backend sticks where as before the wing in wouldn't.

There is a big difference between a high speed wing and a slow speed downforce wing. The fat leading edge of a slow speed wing makes it work.

I'll try to dig up some websites that talk about it.
Heater Guy
I use a G-Stream wing from Paul Brown (Tiger Racing). It has 600 lbs of down force at 120 MPH.
http://www.g-stream.com/C800.htmlClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Jun 16 2012, 09:20 AM) *

I use a G-Stream wing from Paul Brown (Tiger Racing). It has 600 lbs of down force at 120 MPH.
http://www.g-stream.com/C800.htmlClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

That is a good looking wing (and car). biggrin.gif

Would love to see how it is attached in the trunk.

I'll have to call G-Stream and ask what kind of down force their wing would produce between 60-100mph, where I need it in hill climbs.

Got a picture of that splitter off the car? I'm interested in how far back the aluminum goes. Thanks.

Ever think about doing a hill climb? Hoopa is coming up.
Cracker
I've talked to Paul about this/this wing. If I ever go aero I'm using this exact wing because it's effective down as slow as 40 mph. This should do the trick for you. The problem with MOST wings is IF they work at all it's at very high (100+) speeds. The only down side is Paul is proud of the wing ($$$$)! biggrin.gif
Heater Guy
The beauty of this wing is you can mount the uprights where you want them.
The ends need to be in free air to generate good downforce. I run 6 degrees angle of attack. Some run 12+,degrees.Click to view attachment
URY914
Here is one that I saw at Sebring............

Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
I don't know any details about it.

Click to view attachment
carr914
I will attest to how well the URY Wing works!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Jun 16 2012, 12:20 PM) *

Is this the same wing at a different angle? - always loved how this car looked

Click to view attachment

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 16 2012, 11:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I believe that's John Defords car. I might be able to get details if you'd like. He's kinda local to me.
URY914
^^ I didn't see the car run but I was told by a crew member that it has a 3.6 in it.
Randal
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jun 23 2012, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 16 2012, 11:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I believe that's John Defords car. I might be able to get details if you'd like. He's kinda local to me.

Please. Would love to know who makes the wing.
Randal
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 17 2012, 04:45 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It would be really fun to watch Paul run his car, especially against some of the hot dog SCCA guys out here that are running the big hp cars. Weight is a big equalizer.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 25 2012, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 17 2012, 04:45 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It would be really fun to watch Paul run his car, especially against some of the hot dog SCCA guys out here that are running the big hp cars. Weight is a big equalizer.

Thats why fastest cars out there are 1000 lb A mods with huge wings. I think its even more impressive when big high HP cars do well in Autocross. Well driven CP flag.gif cars always amaze me. Rules dont let them achieve better than 50/50 weight and they are well north of 2700 lbs. But they still manage to beat cars weighing nearly 1500 lbs less. Made me a believer in HP being just as important as weight.
naro914
I had this discussion before...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...45&t=148116

I know a few guys that run the GT-Racing "Predator" wing. Nice because it's mounting width is adjustable..
http://gt-racing.com/?wpsc_product_categor...rts&paged=4
this is probably what I'm going with...
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 23 2012, 03:10 PM) *

^^ I didn't see the car run but I was told by a crew member that it has a 3.6 in it.

Saw this car and the owner at Summit Point this past weekend at a PCA DE event.
It has a turbo powered 2.0L Subi. The wing started off as an SCCA class wing (forgot which class he said) and has had modifications done to it and the struts. The car (and driver) are really fast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.