Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fellow Worlders, I have a milestone to report
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
This has been a long time coming but Saturday was an important milestone for me. Structural and body rust repair is complete on the driver's side. This included (in no particular order) repairs to the lower portion of the front fender, new long cover, 1/3 of Engman Kit, new jackpost, hand-built inner wheel house, upper vent/door handle area of rear fender, new sill and supports, repair to lower portion of rear fender including fab'ing the "point" and transition to the sill, and grafting in a new quarter section. I have a new triangle (rear donut) but am not installing until I can get the car further off the floor for easier welding.

The car came off the road in June of 2008 because of a split fuel line below the battery. When I went to repair that, I saw how bad the battery tray and hell hole were. I had been living in denial about what was under the long covers too. So...the rustoration began.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So with the help of my loving wife, the car was rolled out, turned 180* and pushed back into the garage so I can start the passenger side.

Had to share. I was jazzed to turn the corner! aktion035.gif

76-914
thumb3d.gif Great job, more pic's, pls.
abnrdo
Nice job!! Its great to see the progress done to restore and drive these cars. Yours is looking great!!

beerchug.gif
kmwvmarip
Congratulations! Cheers to the other side!
SirAndy
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 12 2012, 06:06 AM) *
So with the help of my loving wife, the car was rolled out, turned 180* and pushed back into the garage so I can start the passenger side.

Had to share. I was jazzed to turn the corner! aktion035.gif

first.gif
TargaToy
Don't know what to say about today's find except nothing I uncover on the car surprises me or upsets me anymore. The passenger rear corner looked funny to me so I dug in.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I believe this fine work was done in Waynesboro, VA...at least that's what the newspaper crammed into the hole before the Bondo was trowled in says it's from. And when in doubt--and you can't make a repair completely from Bondo, the next best thing is to crudely braze in a patch and then hammer the fool out of the surrounding metal so that plenty of filler can be applied before the final sculpting.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

So glad my good friend thought to snag the rear fenders from the parts car before we scrapped the very rusty, stripped tub.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

slothness
WTF.gif
Newspaper...?

Nice work on the repairs beerchug.gif
reharvey
Been in that sort of situation so I can relate. Keep up the hard work. It's looking great!
Porsche930dude
nice! Isnt it crazy how much ugly a gallon of bondo can hide. my car is the same way. they just slapped bondo over the rust until it was full
rick 918-S
WTF.gif Just think how good your going to be at repairing the quarter panels.

Makes me want to shake my head... dry.gif

TargaToy
QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Jun 12 2012, 07:59 PM) *

nice! Isnt it crazy how much ugly a gallon of bondo can hide. my car is the same way. they just slapped bondo over the rust until it was full

For fun, I just googled one of the national articles on the newspaper page that was jammed in the fender cranny. The article was about Clinton and Bush bickering and was dated July 1992. It's conceivable that the paper/bondo "repair" has held up 20 years. Who'da thunk it?

By the way, I already know there's another wad in the nose of the front fender but I'm not going there yet.

PS, filler is heavy. Just the dust alone that I swept up today had decent weight to it. I'm adding lightness to this car every time I fix it right. biggrin.gif
TargaToy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 12 2012, 10:24 PM) *

WTF.gif Just think how good your going to be at repairing the quarter panels.

Nothing like practice to make perfect(er), eh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.