Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: correct original finish for alloy lugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i've seen them in black and a silver that is close to the finish on the wheels. did they come in both styles or one or the other?

k
SLITS
All the ones I have had are "sliber" ... actually Wurth's Silver Lacquer.

The only "schwartz" ones I've seen are either painted by the PO or are the plastic caps used on the steel wheel lug bolts (but the caps won't fit an alloy lug bolt).
sixnotfour
silver with black plastic covers
Tom_T
It depends on year & wheel type.

There were black oxide 25mm ones for the steelies & 39mm for alloys (late MYs 74-76),

... and silver zinc plated 39mm for the alloys (Pedrini, Mahle 4-lug "baby-gas-burners" & Fuchs 2L), & IIRC they were in 25mm for the early MY steelies too (PM Pat Garvey on what were on his 72's steel wheels when new). If you have an old grody set, then I understand that you can send them to Eric Shea/PMB to get plated with "the next set" of silver calipers he does, or go to a local plater.

The black caps didn't come in until 74 MY IIRC, when they started using the black plastic center caps on the "star" mag-look steelies on your car in the initial pix above. Although those wheels were available in 73 MY, cuz my 73 2L had the infamous dealer swap-out" of the Fuchs 2L alloy for a steel spare (read "dealer stolen").

There's a good Wheels & Tires nailed topic over in O&H which covers most of the MY wheel & tire set-ups, although you'll have to trudge thru a lot of posts on stuff from long winded folks like me! biggrin.gif

It also has a link to rfoulds excellent resto of silver painted steel wheels on his 74's star mag-look wheels, which would work the same on resto'ing the earlier steel wheels - if you decide to go that way. That technique - minus the black on the rear/back-side - would also work on the Pedrini alloys, although the prep & prime would need to be modified for aluminum alloy (rather than steel).

BTW - if you decide to go the Pedrini alloy route (several are FS on CL in the PNW right now), & want to restore them yourself - rather than send them to Weideman or Al Reed, then look for the Alloy Wheel resto kits at BavAuto, MBZ & P-car suppliers, which have the putty (for nicks & rash), alloy primer & silver paint in them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
great replies. this is for the silver car not the green one. i've sourced a plater and will get prices. pretty fuch wheels and stromberg.gif for the lug finish doesn't cut it. i seem to have accumulated more alloy lugs than i will ever need in this lifetime. the plastic lug caps suck when you're on the side of the road, they get stuck on and you have to work them off with a screwdriver or pliers. then the caps are all gouged up and they look like stromberg.gif stromberg.gif .

k
Tom_T
PS - If you want chrome lugs, there's a guy on TheSamba & evilbay who goes by The Adanate IIRC in San Antonio who sells aftermarket chromed ones with the proper length, top lag & acorn head for the Fuchs 2L.

SoCalAndy had them on his 72 with Al Reed polished/resto'd Fuchs 2L for a couple of years on "not tame driving" - which I bought, & they fit snug & proper. I'll go back to the original look on my 73 2L & have the wheels touched up then anodized by Al, then find some NOS or re-plate some nice used lugs eventually.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 12 2012, 08:23 AM) *

great replies. this is for the silver car not the green one. i've sourced a plater and will get prices. pretty fuch wheels and stromberg.gif for the lug finish doesn't cut it. i seem to have accumulated more alloy lugs than i will ever need in this lifetime. the plastic lug caps suck when you're on the side of the road, they get stuck on and you have to work them off with a screwdriver or pliers. then the caps are all gouged up and they look like stromberg.gif stromberg.gif .

k

Send all your lugs to the plater since it probably won't cost much more to do the whole batch, then you can sell the extras on here! PM me if you do, as I'd be interested if you end up with a perfect resto set of 16 without buggered hex-ends. smile.gif

PS - I put aftermarket chrome plastic lug covers on my wife's 88 Westy front wheels, & just use the little tweezer like "pullers" that came with them, but when I forget where I put that last, I use Hemostats (those micro-plier-like blood vessel clamps that Doctors use, wife's a nurse) which I think you can buy at some drug stores. Works like a charm without sticking nor buggering!
SLITS
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 12 2012, 08:46 AM) *

k

I use Hemostats (those micro-plier-like blood vessel clamps that Doctors use, wife's a nurse) which I think you can buy at some drug stores. Works like a charm without sticking nor buggering!

Properly known as "roach clips" smoke.gif
Cap'n Krusty

k

Send all your lugs to the plater since it probably won't cost much more to do the whole batch, then you can sell the extras on here! PM me if you do, as I'd be interested if you end up with a perfect resto set of 16 without buggered hex-ends. smile.gif

PS - I put aftermarket chrome plastic lug covers on my wife's 88 Westy front wheels, & just use the little tweezer like "pullers" that came with them, but when I forget where I put that last, I use Hemostats (those micro-plier-like blood vessel clamps that Doctors use, wife's a nurse) which I think you can buy at some drug stores. Works like a charm without sticking nor buggering!

You know, "roach clips". Or so they tell me ....................

If you plate the lug bolts, remember to tell the guy you want a dull looking cad plate, not a shiny one.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 12 2012, 08:55 AM) *

I use Hemostats (those micro-plier-like blood vessel clamps that Doctors use, wife's a nurse) which I think you can buy at some drug stores. Works like a charm without sticking nor buggering!

Properly known as "roach clips" smoke.gif

Sorry - never did that stuff.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.