Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving a Turbo Porsche at Lime Rock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Chief instructor from a local BMW club called and needed instructors. I really dont like to turn down free track time cool_shades.gif so my friend and I drove up for the day.. My 914 stayed home and took a break.... so

heres a lap at Lime Rock in a 2004 Porsche 935. I know they havent made 935s' for about 20 years, but this is the beast we built. video just cant capture the sensation..

ENJOY
brant
Is that a pickup truck at the end..
now I know how all the GT 1/2/3 guys feel when they blow by my "I" class stock car running in exhibition...

wow...

brant
TimT
Yea thats an ex-Nascar truck... you can pick them up for not to much dinero.

went by him like he had the e-brake on laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
the woosh from the turbos is incredible
seanery
laps go by quickly in that car w00t.gif
Jeroen
BHOOOOYAAAAAAH!!!!!
SirAndy
best thing about the video, i can see that you took it easy and you're still passing them like there were standing still ...

like on that downhill right hand turn, you were just coasting through there,
that sounds like a schweet car!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
TimT
like on that downhill right hand turn

the diving turn is a real butt cheek clencher

In some cars after you pass under the bridge you just tap turn gas..in tis car you just gas ( or as Andy says coast ) LOL simply amazing..
914helo
WoW! What a beautiful sound clap56.gif Looks like a lot of fun.
Andyrew
How much boost you running with that turbo? Doesnt sound like it fully spools up... (ie you can still hear the turbo under full accell..

Very nice! I'd love to see more...

Andy, his "coasting" was because if he gave it more throttle, and allowed the boost to come on he would have gotten very tail happy... Turbo's will just spin like a top when the boost comes on durring a high G corner..... lol, just watch me! (or dad... He'll be in fresno tomorrow... I got work... Grrrrrrrrrr)

Andrew
914_1.8t
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 16 2004, 09:57 PM)
How much boost you running with that turbo? Doesnt sound like it fully spools up... (ie you can still hear the turbo under full accell..

Very nice! I'd love to see more...

Andy, his "coasting" was because if he gave it more throttle, and allowed the boost to come on he would have gotten very tail happy... Turbo's will just spin like a top when the boost comes on durring a high G corner..... lol, just watch me! (or dad... He'll be in fresno tomorrow... I got work... Grrrrrrrrrr)

Andrew

Can you please post some info on the car's specs..

what turbo(s) and engine?
how much boost?
Stutgart46
Do you have any pics you can include with the specs?
Great video.
TimT
the car only was running 0.7 bar. we tried to run it at 1.0 ,1.2, and 1.4 bar but it was bleeding off boost, we think the bow-off-valves arent holding, or the turbo just cant make that much boost.

specs:

engine:

3.8 Lt
962/935 hybrid cams
twin plugged
staged injection (12 injectors)
Haltech E6X engine managment
cross drilled crank
chebby nascar bearings
garret t40 hybrid turbo

trans:

short geared G50
TimT
The cars is built on a 1979 930 tub

ERP susp bits
Revalved bilsteins
14" rear tires
12" fronts
ChrisFoley
I have to bust my ass to do 1:01s with my N/A 1.8L. You do it even having to wait for slowpokes to get out of the way. It looks so easy with a little boost. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Tim, when we put our bigger turbo on the 944, we ran into a problem of the engine not holding the boost and blowing it out the main seal or whatnot. We never did figure it out.

driving the car, if you pushed the throttle down all the way, it would blow it out, and you wouldnt get much power...

BUT if I (dad couldnt do this correctly) pushed it maybe 80%, the engine could hold that, and hold about 17psi, Producing at least 370hp.. (it should make at least 420 with that turbo...)

I know we would blow oil out.....

Anything sound familiar?

BTW, very nice car!
Andrew
914_1.8t
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 17 2004, 06:25 AM)
the car only was running 0.7 bar. we tried to run it at 1.0 ,1.2, and 1.4 bar but it was bleeding off boost, we think the bow-off-valves arent holding, or the turbo just cant make that much boost.

specs:

engine:

3.8 Lt
962/935 hybrid cams
twin plugged
staged injection (12 injectors)
Haltech E6X engine managment
cross drilled crank
chebby nascar bearings
garret t40 hybrid turbo

trans:

short geared G50

Do you have a compressor map for the T40?
But i think it should easily be able to be very efficient at that boost level. Probobly some other issue.
iamchappy
It sounds like the wastegate is opening and the turbo is at full boost most of the time.
my car sounds the same when the wastegate opens.
Andyrew
Looking at the video I'd say you could get another 75 to 150 more hp if you got the boost workin right...

I Think Chappy's right about the wastgate though....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 17 2004, 10:21 AM)
Looking at the video I'd say you could get another 75 to 150 more hp if you got the boost workin right...

of course, this is your "expert opinion" biggrin.gif
Andyrew
.7 or so more bar... or about 10 psi, x 10-20 hp per psi....

ya....
TimT
We have a boost controler to hold the wastegate, so dont think its a wastegate problem. When boost is turned up the needle fluctuates between 1.2 and 1.1 bar, someone told me that the greddy blow-off-valves suck, so Im leaning to the BOV's not holding boost,the valve is being pushed off the seat by the boost pressure or something.. gonna get some HKS valves and try them out.Back to Lime Rock next weekend for some more testing
Dman
Thank's! drooley.gif Now all I can do is sit here and dream about what it would be like if my Audi sounded like that!

Only time I ever hear mine is next to the center seperator wall on the freeway. huh.gif
larryp
I have to bust my ass to do 1:01s with my N/A 1.8L. You do it even having to wait for slowpokes to get out of the way. It looks so easy with a little boost.

If you time it, it looks like he was running 1:02s. It goes to show just how little power gets you there, since the straights are so short. I was more impressed with Steve Savino (944T) and Spencer Cox (Cup car) at the PCA club race, running 57s in the wet.
TimT
I was more impressed with Steve Savino (944T) and Spencer Cox (Cup car) at the PCA club race, running 57s in the wet

OK whatever blows your skirt up

I was doing 1:01-1:02 my friend was doing 56-58 (its his car LOL)

For all the critics, we finished a rebuild the night before this event, and decided to get some break in time on the car. Short shifted 7500 instead of 8500 etc..

Racer Chris deserves an AMAZING KUDOS he is turning 1:01 in a 1.8 ltr 914 driving the effing wheels off that car!!

Does Spencer ever drive a car he owns at a race?
TimT
Also this car is geared for The Glen or Summit
Curvie Roadlover
What kind of camera mount are you using? Very steady horizon despite the dash bouncing around. blink.gif
TimT
the camera mount is an IO port mount.... if you set up a camera in a car spend extra time trying to get a short lever arm on the mount..
TimT
Very steady horizon despite the dash bouncing around.
\

err also in this car you get the crap beat out of you... I have some datalogs showing acceleration rates... have to distill them
Brett W
What turbo do you have? A TE04? I have never seen a T40. Yes greddy BOVs suck the big one. HKS is not much better. Look for Tial they are substanially better. What type of wastegates are you running? I would go back and check the routing and vaccum feed for the wastegates to make sure they are readingt the right amount of vaccum/boost. What are you running for boost control? Electronic boost controller or manual boost controller?
TimT
What turbo do you have?

garret gt 40 hybrid... Durabuilt put it together
yes electronic boost controll.

The engine had an HKS 60 , now a Tial 46...

how many of you have tuned 3.8ltr flat sixes?

we dont give a crap about a 1/4 mile times
Brett W
I don't tune for the quarter mile either. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I have very little interest in Aircooled Flat six engines, other than from a novelty aspect. I am sure your customers car is fast and he has no doubt sunk tons of money into it.

here is one flow map:
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/gt40-56trim.jpg

Here is the other.

http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/GT40compress.jpg
Jake Raby
Damn, that thing is sick!
Mueller
i played that a few times at work with the sound cranked up, had to call over a big time BMW fan/driver co-worker to show him a "real" car in action MDB2.gif

does the haltec do any kind of data logging to help out?
TimT
yes the haltech can data log, however boost isnt one of the inputs we measure. We log EGT and lambda with rpm.

melted a cylinder earlier this year unsure.gif
larryp
OK whatever blows your skirt up

Sorry, I was unclear. I was not trying to making some point about the driving but the difficulty of getting fast speeds there, since hp really does not get you much. Even spec miatas turn 101s. All the extra hp makes it harder, I think, except for passing

By the way, a friend (in spec miata) watched the video and wrote
But he has a nice line.  Too bad he isn't racing anyone
TimT
I agree, this car works well at Watkins Glen, at Lime Rock it runs out of room really fast.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(larryp @ Oct 19 2004, 08:35 AM)
Even spec miatas turn 101s.

Someone's been telling you fibs. chatsmiley.gif

The SM lap record is a high 1:03. The fast ones typically run in the 1:04s. BTW, I beat an entire SM field last year with my 100hp (previous) engine. laugh.gif

I think Mike Schrom was doing 50s at LRP in his "935" before he went pro. He had close to 2 bar of available boost I think.
URY914
Kinda like "point and shoot" with a 935.

Get it pointed stright and shoot the gas to it.

Paul
TimT
Chris, I need to get you to ride shotgun in my car someday, and do a little coaching!!
In my 914 with about 275 hp, I at best do 1:04-5 at Lime Rock.

Driving my friends car was easy with so much power under my foot, Like Paul says, points and shoot
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 19 2004, 05:37 PM)
Chris, I need to get you to ride shotgun in my car someday, and do a little coaching!

I'd be glad to. We need to figure a way for me to get signed off as an instructor though. I don't have a 2 seat car available for DE right now.
larryp
Ditto. Tim, we can use mine.
TimT
I don't have a 2 seat car available for DE right now.

My 914 has two seats... and a petty bar wacko.gif

I think I have enough contacts in Porsche and BMW clubs, or NASA that I could get you some track time...

I instruct for many regions... like to think Im humble enough to learn more
ChrisFoley
I think all I need is a short in-car session with a chief of instructors or someone with similar authority.
TimT
I think all I need is a short in-car session with a chief of instructors or someone with similar authority.

yes to show them a thing or two beer.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 19 2004, 09:18 PM)
yes to show them a thing or two beer.gif

laugh.gif

I was thinking they would be more interested in my communication skills than my driving abilities.

beerchug.gif
qa1142
Very cool

Wish my 914 sounded like that (cause then it would smoke your 930 happy11.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.