Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Single Man doing Laundry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I hate to do laundry, really hate it. So, I don't do it very often. I have lots of clothes and can go 2 - 3 months without doing it.
Well, it can create problems by doing that.

I need a good stain remover that can clean set in:
wheel bearing grease, motor oil, road grime, etc...you get the picture.

I'll get it in the AM, so I'm looking for good recomendations tonite!

thanks,
sean
Rusty
Presoak... lots of scrubbing. Don't throw the item in the dryer until you're satisified it's clean enough.

Goof Off is good. Someone also make a stain removal stick. That works okay.

Moly grease? You're screwed. Nothing gets that crap out.

Dude... get a few sets of work clothes, and keep them segregated. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Nice job on the MUSR6 t-shirt graphics. My son and I wore them home today. smile.gif
GWN7
Presoak the stain with "Shout" or another prewash type soap. If it dosen't come out those clothes become around the house stuff.

I too can go a long time between mounds of clothes.
seanery
I can't remember which color they went with.
Got a pic?

I think I'm supposed to get a couple :fingerscrossed:
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 16 2004, 08:56 PM)
I need a good stain remover that can clean set in:
wheel bearing grease, motor oil, road grime, etc...

it's called allowance!

ask your mom ...
wink.gif Andy
seanery
confused24.gif
scotty914
heres an old navy trick that will get out almost anything:

go get some hand cleaner not the orange stuff but the stuff that looks like vasaline and smells like paint thinner. then rub that on the stain and let it sit for an hour or two then wash as normal. this trick will even get out anti seize which is one of the worst things to get out esp. if it hits sea water, which turns into a rock.

scott
seanery
like goop?
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 16 2004, 09:15 PM)
confused24.gif

you take some of your allowance money and you take it to the cleaner!

cool.gif Andy
seanery
can't pay someone to do something I know I can do.
I'm bad that way. headbang.gif
TimT
Simple Green... or believe it or not " Oxy-Clean"

Both of those really work..
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 16 2004, 09:24 PM)

like cooking your lunch?

laugh.gif Andy
bob91403
QUOTE(scott thacher @ Oct 16 2004, 09:17 PM)
heres an old navy trick that will get out almost anything:

go get some hand cleaner not the orange stuff but the stuff that looks like vasaline and smells like paint thinner. then rub that on the stain and let it sit for an hour or two then wash as normal. this trick will even get out anti seize which is one of the worst things to get out esp. if it hits sea water, which turns into a rock.

scott

agree.gif Waterless hand cleaner. The same stuff mechanics use to clean their hands. Just saw some tv lady recomend it for getting out stains. Rub it in real good to break up the stain then throw it in the wash. She said it's the only way to get oil and grease stains out.
anthony
Get a set of Ben Davis coveralls for when you work on the car.

IPB Image

They work great!
tesserra
agree.gif
Hand cleaner and Oxy Clean. Really rub it into the stain. A dry cleaner I used to do buisness with used a bone to rub the cleaner into the fabric.
Don't dry until you are sure it is as clean as you want it.

George
JB 914
The wife uses Oxyclean and that seems to work. But, i also have a bunch of grubbies that i wear when working on the car.
rhodyguy
does your house get a little "fragrant" with 2-3 months of dity clothes stacked up?icon8.gif how many bath towels do you own? the washer and dryer will work just dandy while you are adminning here. do a load a day. you single guys rolleyes.gif .

kevin
Qarl
Bring your clothes to one of the laundrymats that charges by the pound. Do this more than once every two-three months.

Or... GO TO THE LAUNDRYMAT and meet chicks! They may think you are cute with your little funny looking car full of clean laundry.

Make sure the front and rear trunks are clean so in case they want a ride, you can throw the laundry in the front and/or back (probably both since you will have two or three months worth) and then take them for a spin!

Make sure your gas filler neck seals are all good so your clean laundry doesn't smell like gasoline.
anthony

Why not? My motto - pay people to do the things you don't like to do which in turn gives you more time to do the things you like to do.
Mueller
i've got a pair of those work overalls, great for the winter time, too hot in the summer...

go to the "cheap" clothes outlets.....just last week I bought a few pairs of "cargo" pants (jeans with extra pockets and a little "oversized"*) for like $10 a pair or less. Target and Wal-Mart are great places for cheap clothes for working on your car...sure it looks odd at first all decked out in brand new clothes getting all dirty and all, but you'll be the best looking grease monkey at the autoparts store, hahaha

*I think there are more or less designed for the young punks that like thier pants too loose to show off thier underwear smile.gif
Rhodes71/914
Ditto on the hand cleaner, works great. I was also wandering what your house smelled like after 2-3 months of dirty clothes. Must not be a woman in your life, she would never stand for that. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
sean, dont feel bad. i just started doing my laundry too (ahhh...the college life)

i do mine once a week - easy biggrin.gif
seanery
the house doesn't smell. They go in hampers in the basement.
This wouldn't work if I were a sweater.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 17 2004, 11:43 AM)
This wouldn't work if I were a sweater.

if you WERE a sweater what? confused24.gif
seanery
I were a person who sweats a lot. wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 17 2004, 11:52 AM)
I were a person who sweats a lot. wacko.gif

oh got it.

"this wouldnt work if i were a cardigan, or a pull over" - thats what i was thinking laugh.gif
RAR
Yeah, Goop works very well, especially if you rub it in. Shout also works for certain things, use an old tooth brush to work it in. Shout can remove color if brushed in so test in an inconspicuous spot. As Lawrence stated, no dryer heat or real hot water until the stain is gone. Otherwise you'll set it permanently.
We want a card on Mother's Day. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
add 1 cup of white vinegar per load. no joke. when you are done with the very dirty stuff (which should be washed LAST) cycle the washer empty with the vinegar too. don't use hot water sean. it just sets the stains worse.

kevin
seanery
ok, Navy tip attempt is under way.

will report as to it's success. idea.gif
tracks914
Castrol Super Clean, just spray and wash. Works every time.
Joe Bob
Why don't ya just burn them and start over?

blink.gif
seanery
Navy secret works! smilie_pokal.gif

I used hand cleaner, let it sit for an hour or so, then soaked for an hour with Tide & OxyClean, stains are out between 90 & 100% depending on the garment. It even removed stains from my work shorts that had been washed and dried 3 or 4 times since covered in bearing grease.

Washing one last time before they go in the drier.

Thanks for the help guys! clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.