Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just got my first 914 :D
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Ohemgeeitsnick
Hey guys, I'm new the forums, my name is Nick and i'm 20 years old.

I just got back from the sellers house after i put my deposit down. I'm beyond ecstatic and can't wait to trailer the car home on saturday. it's a 1975 914-4, black, 5 spd, has fender flares, he said they were fiberglass. the car was originally yellow. the only noticable rust was in the drivers side footwell floor pan area. and the driverside rocker panel. the engine bay looked very rust free surprisingly, i thought it'd be a horror show in there, but even the battery tray looked to be in good condition.

He told me that he also has for sale something called a boxster conversion kit. at first i thought this was some type of engine conversion but he explained that it was parts of the front end of the car including the bumper and fender portions.

I've done some research and I can't find any info on this type of conversion, maybe you guys can fill in the gaps and shoot me any info.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
914itis
welcome.png we need more teeners on NYC . What part of NYC are you? I am in queens and I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have . Let me know if you need any assistance . Again welcome to the greatest addiction of the world, just so you know, there is no way out.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
76-914
welcome.png Do you have 4 or 5 lug wheels? If 5, then it has undergone some alteration.
Ohemgeeitsnick
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 12 2012, 08:28 PM) *

welcome.png Do you have 4 or 5 lug wheels? If 5, then it has undergone some alteration.

Hhaha thanks for all the love guys. This forum is really great. It is currently 4 lug. It's a 1.8.

Have any of you guys heard of a boxer or boxster front end conversion? He's willing to sell it to me with a new floor pan for an extra $400. I haven't seen the parts yet though WTF.gif

Anyway. I'm in Flushing. I'll have the car here at home by Saturday afternoon.
Mike Bellis
There is a guy here that did the Boxster(?) conversion. Not too far from me. He has a build thread here but no updates in a long time. Fabrication was extensive and beautiful... wub.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png
abnrdo
welcome.png

We like photos!! biggrin.gif
wingnut86
Share that older Boxter thread on here so we can research it and find some info...

Welcome to 914World human - only the good Doctor Evil bites here - av-943.gif

welcome.png

jmill
Is he talking boxster front brake conversion?
Ohemgeeitsnick
alright, this is the only picture i have of it, i get to trailer it back on saturday. there will be plenty of pics by then. w00t.gif

IPB Image
Cairo94507
welcome.png
Congratulations and welcome to the Club. You seem to already know a little about these cars as you knew to look for rust in some of the key areas. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you make the car your own.
914itis
Nice ride .
Ohemgeeitsnick
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 13 2012, 04:48 AM) *

welcome.png
Congratulations and welcome to the Club. You seem to already know a little about these cars as you knew to look for rust in some of the key areas. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you make the car your own.

QUOTE(914itis @ Jun 13 2012, 05:08 AM) *

Nice ride .

thanks a lot guys! yeah, since i first found the car for sale, i thought it was the coolest thing out there. so i did loads of research and hunted through peoples build threads and found a lot of the nasty points that these cars develop. first thing i wanna do is get it running and clean up the interior rust.

i'm really hyped to get it home. cheer.gif
02loftsmoor
Good deal great people in this site to help you.. Wes welcome.png
914itis
Nice ride .
pt_700
welcome to the madness! it's great to see one of these cars enter into the stewardship of a young person! after all, you can't take 'em with you and, let's face it, most of us only act young...

we'd all love to see that boxster front end conversion but, you might want to concentrate on making a solid driver out of her 1st. beware the jack stands!
jsayre914
welcome.png

exciting !
Porschef
Stay away from Paul, he's dangerous. Next thing you know, you'll want another.
happy11.gif
Ohemgeeitsnick
haha. it all started Monday morning. I was watching a classic car hunting show on the discovery channel and they found an older Porsche Cab and sold it for a good profit. my girlfriend was sitting next to me pretty bored and decided to go on Craigslist to look for some older cars. we looked into lotus', Porsches, vw, and we came across this guy and I thought it was the coolest thing I've ever seen. haha it was priced just right too. so I contacted the seller and the next day I owned it. guess I got pretty lucky. I'm dying to pick it up already. it's killing meeee.
wingnut86
...you think it's killing you now...

Stop by Sears or Northern Tool for jackstands on the way home, as well as a box of 3M Scotch pads and cup brushes for the drill. Don't forget a box of rags, Nitrile gloves, a pack of steel brushes, spare 13, 14, 17mm sockets and a pack of bungee chords.

Good luck and send pictures during the process from your own build thread.

Dave
clow
Looks good! After you get it finished stay away from 914world....its like a disease, pretty soon youwill be looking for another one to fix up....ask me how I know ... rolleyes.gif

Here is a parts manual. First thing I did was I got it printed and binded for cheap to have in the garage with me. It was very handy.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Congrats, take lots of picture along the way!

Clow
914itis
Did you buy this car from a guy in Suffolk county? I think his name is claude. If this is the car I think it is you have your work cut out for you. I hate to be the one to bring you the bad news but I was afraid that this car would break into pieces while being loaded on the trailer. Complete bucket of rust. I hope not.
wingnut86
Hmmm, after the last post.

Add a 12-Pack of JB Weld and some popsicle sticks huh.gif
Ohemgeeitsnick
lol the guys name is Richard. He is in Suffolk county but I searched the whole car pretty damn well and honestly, it looks pretty solid aside from the driverside long and drivers footwell.
914itis
Yes , richard, Asking price $3000? , been on Craigslist for over 2 yrs, I saw the car a year na a half ago. Drivers side flares have cracks where they mount right ? Rear trunk has rust, longs and hell hole iirc. I am not tryng to scare you, but if you didn't pay in full, you realy need to take another look to make sure you know what you are getting into buddy . Reinspwct and ask us questions here. We are here to help and give the right advice .
Ohemgeeitsnick
Well I'll take another look at it on Saturday, it didn't look like anything I couldn't handle. I have the welding experience to fix anything that's wrong with it. The only thing I care about is that the car is complete, I'd rather not be hunting around for parts and stuff.

I was looking for a car to restore and polish my body work skills on, and I think this car is the perfect subject. biggrin.gif

And I paid less then half what he was asking when you were looking and the hell hole looked rust free actually.
914itis
Knowing how to weld makes a big difference
boogie_man
914itis is absolutley right. I ignored the warning signs and got in a hurry to secure
a good project. I'm almost at a year of work, at my own bodyshop (working after hours, Saturdays) and just heat-gunned the sound deadening in the floors....rusty
rear pans were found sad.gif sad.gif I still say under my mask "there's no turning back".

When you go see it next time look at : the upper l&r quarters just behind the doors
below the vinyl/moulding area. behind the seats at the bottom of the firewall, the battery tray area all the way down to the inner rail, just underneath there at the right rear floor area (triangle support/suspension support) left & right rockers all the way from the fenders to underneath the quarters. Take an ice pik type of tool
and poke like crazy to listen for that frikken crunchy sound of metal that's turned into sawdust. We've had a blast do this but it's no picinic........GOOD LUCK and let us know......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ohemgeeitsnick @ Jun 14 2012, 10:25 AM) *
the hell hole looked rust free actually.

In which case someone probably patched it with fiberglass and made it look smooth and rust free. Mark my words ...
icon8.gif

PS: welcome.png

PPS: Did we scare you off already? biggrin.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2012, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Ohemgeeitsnick @ Jun 14 2012, 10:25 AM) *
the hell hole looked rust free actually.

In which case someone probably patched it with fiberglass and made it look smooth and rust free. Mark my words ...

Look at the build thread on my car (posted by scottyb) to see what a fiberglassed hell hole looks like.

I'm glad you like the car; however, keep an open eye for rust. Body work is very expensive (even if you do it yourself).
jsayre914
QUOTE(914itis @ Jun 14 2012, 01:07 AM) *

I hate to be the one to bring you the bad news but

So give the guy some good news. Geeez He already bought the car, it was cheap enough. Was there anything particular about this car you liked when you saw it.

beerchug.gif

It looks cool
first.gif

welder.gif
wingnut86
And remember, cars owned by guys like Billh1963, me and others in the Deep South consider a rust bucket a rite of passage. Hell, a little iron in a collectors diet is healthy!

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

This ole girl of mine, out back, has a Flintstone starter and brake system...

Click to view attachment

Ohemgeeitsnick
Fortunately, I have plenty of hours a day to work on it since I work nights mostly. So it's gonna get work done fast and I've got a bunch of friends to help me out at my shop.
markb
welcome.png
smj
QUOTE(Ohemgeeitsnick @ Jun 14 2012, 07:14 PM) *

Fortunately, I have plenty of hours a day to work on it since I work nights mostly. So it's gonna get work done fast and I've got a bunch of friends to help me out at my shop.

Oh, then we can stop sugar-coating it... lol-2.gif

Congrats, sounds like you're in a good place to start on this project.
Thestigz06
I wish u the best of luck sir and hope u have enjoyed your sanity! smile.gif

Oh and looks like u have not a bad start on as well!

Heres where i started...

IPB Image
billh1963
Wingnut86 is correct! We scoff at the weak and flaccid West Coasters who complain that their cars have surface rust on the lug nuts or want to part out a car because the paint is faded or the seat has a rip. On the East Coast if we find a car that has a solid piece of metal that can be welded on, we restore it! av-943.gif
smj
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:37 PM) *

On the East Coast if we find a car that has a solid piece of metal that can be welded on, we restore it! av-943.gif

... very often using parts that those weak and flaccid West Coasters have harvested from their local herds. shades.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
hot_shoe914
those weak and flaccid West Coasters

Did he just reference the penis situation of the west coasters? lol-2.gif av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 15 2012, 04:49 AM) *

those weak and flaccid West Coasters

Did he just reference the penis situation of the west coasters? lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Sounds like shoe needs a vacation in SF.... av-943.gif
Ohemgeeitsnick
well guys. I got the car home yesterday morning. finally got to see the actual boxster conversion kit. it's a fiberglass kit that includes the fenders and front bumper and other miscellaneous tabs and hardware. pretty good quality actually. if anybody is interested in it, it'll be up for sale. I think I'm gonna go with slant nose fenders.

I didnt get to work on it yesterday cause i had a pro photographer contact me about shooting my other car. (pics will come)

but I got to play with it this morning. I stripped the interior, drivers side seat is mint. pass. side needs a little love. all carpets are there, smell a little moldy. has a center console with the three stock gauges.

what's the little red knob near the shifter?

so far I have the drivers side floor pan, need to order the passenger side and some more bits. I'm gonna cut what's left of the original pan out when I get home later today. pics will come.
billh1963
QUOTE(Ohemgeeitsnick @ Jun 17 2012, 12:26 PM) *

Powers the fan in the engine compartment.
914itis
Great deal and good luck .
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 17 2012, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Ohemgeeitsnick @ Jun 17 2012, 12:26 PM) *

Powers the fan in the engine compartment.

Not just that, it also opens up the heater valves to let warm air into the cockpit. When you pull up far enough on it, then it turns on the heater blower fan in the engine bay.

--DD
Ohemgeeitsnick
Cool, thanks guys. now that I'm done cleaning all the crap out of it. I'm gonna take a look at the engine tomorrow. But first the pedal assembly, have any ideas as to why the brake pedal is frozen solid? I stood on it with both feet. Got nothing. Lol.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Ohemgeeitsnick @ Jun 17 2012, 10:36 PM) *

Cool, thanks guys. now that I'm done cleaning all the crap out of it. I'm gonna take a look at the engine tomorrow. But first the pedal assembly, have any ideas as to why the brake pedal is frozen solid? I stood on it with both feet. Got nothing. Lol.

RUST!
Ohemgeeitsnick
lol. yeah, looked around nd found out the master cylinder leaks brake fluid onto the assembly and screws things up a bit.

what type of engine oil do you guys recommend for the 1.8L? and what transmission fluid? weight? conventional? synthetic? blend? any specific brand?

I know with my Subaru transmission, the synchros and bearings are very picky when it comes to what you feed it.
Dave_Darling
The top-shelf options:
Brad Penn 20/50 motor oil for the engine.
Swepco 201 for the transmission.

There are people who swear by Mobil 1 motor oil, those who swear by any regular 90-wt gear oil, and plenty of opinions.

The general consensus is not to use synthetic in the transmission, as the old Porsche synchros do not like it. There are a few dissenters on that, though.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.