Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well it ran
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
DNHunt
We got it started, not without a few ups and downs. I had a great bunch of people there to help. Thanks to all that came. It was a special day for me and my son.

The summer project ran, here's the gang
DNHunt
First we checked out the cars. The white car is Eddie's track car
McMark
Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif What kinds of problems did you run into?
SirAndy
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 16 2004, 09:12 PM)
We got it started, not without a few ups and downs.

who are these people and what did they do to your motor?

beerchug.gif Andy
seanery
great turnout Dave!

Glad to hear it ran smilie_pokal.gif
DNHunt
Then we talked over what to do. Lots of opinions.
DNHunt
One last call to Jake. Incidentally it was about 7:30 his time on a Saturday night. Thanks Jake!
seanery
the best part about those pics IMHO...look at the folks attending are age 12-90 laugh.gif ....well maybe not 90. wink.gif
DNHunt
The moment of truth, my daughter Sarah pushes the starter button and it starts
DNHunt
From 2500 miles Jake says it's down a cylinder or 2. h Sh#t. Guess the other guys saw it too. I'm on the phone to Jake behind Chris Reale.
DNHunt
Here's the problem. It's the carb wires or the wire carbs or no deodorant. Ah sh)t.

ARGH!! The current owner had the firing order wrong. unsure.gif
DNHunt
Damn it's smoky
DNHunt
Onto the chow. Great time, thanks everyone

Dave
DNHunt
I have to chase down exhaust leaks (so what's new) and a leaky pushrod seal on #1 exhaust. I'm gonna run it some tomorrow then retorque, change the oil and filter and adjust the valves.

Dave
JoeSharpOld
Gosh, I'm all warm and fuzzy inside. That 3 engines this weekend. biggrin.gif
Joe
reverie
I stayed until almost 4:00, and then had to hightail it for home. It was wonderful to meet Dave's family and see all the early arrivals.. including a couple of new guys!

Sorry I couldn't stay..

smile.gif chowtime.gif
ablose58
Great job Dave and crew smilie_pokal.gif I am glad I could make it and it was a real pleasure to see all of you mueba.gif Now I am slaving at work, or not cool.gif
dinomium
It was great to hear the new power plant and the steaks were pretty good too! Thanks for having me and Chistine over.
Mueller
congrats Dave !!!!

so when is the FI going back on it??
skline
Great news Dave, and it looks like it was a lot of fun with the party there too. I had Elliot Cannon, Joe Buckle and a couple of other guys come over here yesterday after I got mine running. Not quite the turnout you had but it does make it more fun. Won't be long now and you will be installing it in your car and driving it. Thats where the fun really begins.
Joe Ricard
Dave, Looks like you had a great turn out. I saw some familair faces from the Gold bar adventure. Hey Ya'll. wavey.gif

Motor looks nice and a great engine run stand. Nothing like over engineering things. pray.gif

Didn't have as many friends here for my 2.0L fire up. Just me myself and I. But we had a blast. slap.gif
Bleyseng
I showed up late but just in time to tell you guys the firing order is 1432 nor 1234!
Had alot of fun, meeting two new guys 2-oh and Reiche, got to see Chris Reale again, and picked up a rim for Rich D who was a no show.
Damn, the BBQ was worth waiting for too. yummy!

Geoff clap56.gif

Dave, PM me your addy so I can mail those gaskets.
John Kelly
I had a great time. Dave and his family were very hospitable, and it was nice meeting some more 914 folks. Nice engine! Nice thick beer, and good food as well.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
rhodyguy
i understand why some of you guys run your carb linkages backwards now. the intakes dave had were the type that had the little balancing tubes inbetween the runners, the sort that used to come with the carbs kits from performance wherehouse. my set from cb are taller, plus, they shorten the span from heim joint to heim joint on the base plates. we had to pick up some shorter bolts to adjust for the difference. why? the tin interfered with the threaded rods. here's the puzzler for the day. we were in the metric fastener section at the hardware store. the jam nut we brought would fit on the 8mm x 1.50 bolt, but the bolt we brought would not accept a 8mm x 150 nut. wacko.gif . we figured out why, can you?

kevin
seanery
cause it was coarse thread bolt? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
nope. we tried every one from a 1.0 to a 1.75. keep pondering. separate the whites from the darks, and don't overload the washer. biggrin.gif those intakes you got from me are the ones to have. cb talls, don't settle for less.

kevin
seanery
I really appreciate them! wub.gif
Aaron Cox
we figured out why, can you?

left hand threads?
rhodyguy
no.
Aaron Cox
i give up. was it a SAE part?
rhodyguy
that's it. we laughed it up, after about 10 minutes of confussion.

kevin
Aaron Cox
BTDT- sucks. hit yourself on the head a couple times
reverie
Man, you guys are fast. It prevented the air filter from fitting on, for one thing. I liked it without the air filters, though.. velocity stacks are incredibly beautiful!

Geoff, thanks for picking up the wheel. smile.gif
DNHunt
I'm not getting much done today. huh.gif I had a wee bit of a good time last night and it just feels best layin on the couch watchin football.

Dave
dinomium
NOt mention it is FREAKEN Nasty out side too! Those brown ales will make you sleepy for DAYS!!
I am just wandering around the house,- oh should fix that, start that finish- return to couch
wink.gif
Series9
Congrats Dave! smilie_pokal.gif

Man, you had a great turnout for the lightoff.

It sure is lonely in Albuquerque. I'd love to have that many 914ers over for food and tech, but I've only seen one other NM memeber, and he's almost 90 minutes away.
DNHunt
Joe

Plan on WCC next year. It's 914 heaven.

Course you could move up here. It's the start of the rainy season. 6 months of gray. Last December I was so desperate to drive with the top off I drove home with it off and it was 52 degrees, dark with a light mist. Mighty fine day for the end of the year.

Dave
Eddie914
Dave,

Thanks for the gacious hospitality! You and your famliy are great hosts.

Sorry I couldn't stay longer. I wish I could have helped with the steaks!
Eddie914
Here are some of the 914s that showed up.
reverie
It's exciting just to look at that engine.. gets me dreaming!

I like the empty beer bottles on the work bench, too.

See ya next time, Eddie.. smile.gif
Reiche
Dave, congrats again and many hearty thanks. The engine is beautiful and sounds as good as it looks (The open pipes help of course.) It was great meeting and hanging with everyone. Hopefully I will be firing one up some day soon.
Jake Raby
Dave, Great going!!!

You were an EXCELLENT candidate for an engine kit! Some guys just don't have what it takes to do the job without tons of tips, and illustrated emails, even though all the hard work is done for them..

What I can't believe is how clear those two dead cylinders were on the phone (incorrect firing order) but I'm gload that you got it taken care of..

Let me know when its time for the Mega squirt and I'll give you some settings to try.
DNHunt
Jake

It's probably going to be a while. Sunday the wife said I'm sure glad the engine ran, cause you were only getting one shot at it. Fall around here gets kind of busy.

Dave
914werke
Well Im bummed wink.gif
I missed all the fun, (tension) and hangin with my Peeps biggrin.gif
Sorry guys but I got hung up in Santa Barbara for work.
Nice weather but Id rather have been back hear to hear Daves beast come to life.
rhodyguy
rich, in case you don't know. geoff has your mahle wheel. you got a good deal on that one. dave, can you call me later? around 9:30?

kevin
Bleyseng
Yep, come by and get it as its yard art right now.

Geoff rolleyes.gif
Rocky
Kev, Why do you hate my intake manifolds sooo much? idea.gif
Dave, I hade a great time. Thanks very much. That engine will push your tub beautifully. Awsome beer and food. beerchug.gif beer.gif chowtime.gif givemebeer.gif drunk.gif
And a great day of football. aktion035.gif

Tim
rhodyguy
no hate tim, just a preference. the fact that my k&n filters are larger than most carb filter setups didn't help the situation either.

kevin
aircooledboy
Congrats Dave beerchug.gif

It is so great to see the pictures, and feel the fun and excitement of having all those peeps show up to toast your accomplishment, and lend a little advice.

monkeydance.gif Very well done.
Rocky
All right Kev. Ill sleep better now. lol2.gif
You know us FI guys get a little testy when were out of our realm bootyshake.gif

Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.