Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic transmission for 73, 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Girl
Does anybody know where i can get a good rebuilt auto. trans for my 914, and would it be hard to go from standar to automatic.
Bullethead
Search the World... someone has done it, with an Audi autobox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UN2gZ-nYLA

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...101948&st=0
GeorgeRud
Though it has been done, I don't think it would be cheap to have it done.

Learning to drive the manual transmission would be much easier and cheaper if that is at all a possibility.
porbmw
Nice to see that there are at least a few "Porsche girls" out there.

It' my daughter's 22 Bday today, and I am VERY close to final assembly on her 74 teener.

When she practised for her Driver's license I made sure I took her out ONLY in the teener, to prepare her for it.....it of course is a standard....it took a while, she hadn't driven anything else, so cut her teeth on the car, and it took a while...but the cars actually aren't that difficult to learn on, with just a bit of patience.

Take a few weekends practising in a nice quiet spot, away from traffic, and you'll get to like the standard smile.gif
Niche
Just saw this... my step daughter would love the 914 when she's of age... how much would it costs (around) to convert it to an automatic?
flash914
Some of the square backs had an auto trans. could the ring gear be fliped? a rear mount would need to be made and cable shifter. I would think that would be the simpleist. Gordon
type47
Anybody remember "Grasshopper"? If I recall, he had a project and wanted to put in an automatic; haven't seen him around here in a very long time.....
Cap'n Krusty
We've been down this road before. Because of the design of the differential section, a T3 or T4, or even a T2/Vanagon auto box can't have the ring gear flipped. Audi 100LS, Fox, 4000, VW Dasher, all would work just fine with an adapter plate.

The Cap'n
JeffBowlsby
Wasn't that an auto trans from a Audi 5000 in that converted 914 from (Modesto)?
Mark Henry
agree.gif Yes Audi 5000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UN2gZ-nYLA

There's a thread on this here here somewhere.
Chris H.
You can get an adapter made and have more options...a Passat 2wd would be a good one. Very similar to the Audi/Boxster trans.
Madswede
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2013, 11:01 AM) *

We've been down this road before. Because of the design of the differential section, a T3 or T4, or even a T2/Vanagon auto box can't have the ring gear flipped. Audi 100LS, Fox, 4000, VW Dasher, all would work just fine with an adapter plate.

The Cap'n

I knew there was a reason we shoulda kept the wreckage of my parent's old VW Dasher. Besides the Blaupunkt I mean. lol-2.gif
Andyrew
I've always thought of building a full conversion kit for an auto trani using a Audi or VW 5 speed auto from the A4 or Passat. Trani's can be found at pick n pull and are very stout.

Im pretty sure the OP isnt aware of the fact that 914's didnt come from the factory with an auto trani except in a few very rare cases.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 27 2013, 11:36 AM) *

I've always thought of building a full conversion kit for an auto trani using a Audi or VW 5 speed auto from the A4 or Passat. Trani's can be found at pick n pull and are very stout.

agree.gif I looked into that with the 2.8 Audi engine..just too much engineering for me but it would be awesome and very very cheap. FYI I also looked at Subie trans'es...the only gearing in the 4eat that is worth doing is the 4.44....so you would have to transplant the 4.44 gearing into an older 2wd box. eeeeek! Not worth it IMHO. Only other choice is to remove the center diff from a 4wd box...the 4eat AWD box from my SVX weighed 230 lbs!!!!

Sorry for the massive hijack!

Cap'n Krusty
I think I'd use a tranny from a 4000, mostly because it's smaller and lighter, as well as being built for use with an engine of about the same HP characteristics of the T4 engine. Unlike the 5000 tranny, I don't recall it requiring a tranny cooler, either.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.