Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm Watch 2004
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
First measurable rainfall in almost 6 months paralyzed SoCal last night. More than 1/2 inch combined with cyclonic winds of almost 20mph caused major damage. Film at 11 biggrin.gif
SLITS
Ah yes, the day after. So Cal's ultimate leak test for the 914.
Qarl
ooh... 1/2 inch and 20 mph!!!

Waaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Try 20 inches and 110 mph!!!!!!

But I can imagine how everyone freaked out!
Joe Bob
Yup....woke me up....freaked out the cats and dogs......the Daschunds are puppies and never saw rain before.....got Frank and Wyld Thang under cover. The poor cab had to endure it, the lower garage is still getting drywalled.... sawzall-smiley.gif
Allan
Wifes car left out last night and suffered. Will require large amounts of fresh water and undetermined amount of cleaning agent to recover. biggrin.gif
RAR
1/2" and 20 mph! Oh the humanity! Poor devils, our prayers are with you.
Aaron Cox
i think the 1/2" flash flood swept my teener away. why me? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 17 2004, 08:55 AM)
First measurable rainfall in almost 6 months paralyzed SoCal last night. More than 1/2 inch combined with cyclonic winds of almost 20mph caused major damage. Film at 11 biggrin.gif

yeah, i heard ambulances driving by all night ...

seriously, not kidding ...
wacko.gif Andy
skline
Well, my teener is in the garage and stayed dry, the truck got a much needed bath from the rainfall. It still looks like its going to rain some more. Life is good.
Rhodes71/914
OMG Rain! Well I am enjoying the first snowfall of the year here at 4500' in the high desert. It's only mid October usually we get a couple more weeks. Oh well guess the snowmobile will come out early. Would be nice to be able to drive the 914 once I get the brakes done. It will melt for sure but this is a little ridiculous. Wish I had my camera with me everything is white.
It was 70 yesterday!
dlo914
didnt have a much needed car tarp...solution: plywood to cover the engine hatch smash.gif havent had time to install the rain tray... biggrin.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I forgot to cover the carbs last night. Anything I should do before I try and start the car? Oh yeah...my roof leaked! What the hell is that all about? Why doesn't someone tell me these things? LOL!!
Cheers, Elliot
Aaron Cox
managed to get mine in the garage for the storm. i ordered them fandangled carb hats from james. ordered a little late i guess. also, building a GT lid...hmmmm.....
MattR
All the water on the ground made it uncomfortable for me to sit and work on my car, so I didnt... i just enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate while I wait for my rocker arm stud.
nebreitling
my car is under two layers of plastic.

this sucks.

i hate the fucking rain.

now i drive the truck everywhere.

this sucks.

i'm gonna move to some less-rainy state.
Trekkor
I put the car cover and a tarp on yesterday, so it's cool. cool.gif

Maybe I'll get one of those port-o-garages someday.

KT
skline
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 17 2004, 09:03 PM)
my car is under two layers of plastic.

this sucks.

i hate the fucking rain.

now i drive the truck everywhere.

this sucks.

i'm gonna move to some less-rainy state.

It hasnt rained here all summer, I think we need it and the less we drive right now, the less we spend on gas which is outfrikenrageous in price. You cant tell me there is a shortage of oil, it is all based on greed. The oil companies are gouging us and its just wrong. Time to build a car that gets 150 MPG and sell the plans to the public domain. See what they do then.
Sammy
LOL, Scott, aren't you building a V8 914? Sounds like gas mileage wasn't your first concern.

The entire commodity system is built on greed. That is how it is supposed to be.
They try and charge as much as possible.
The competition keeps that from happening in a balanced supply/demand system. Unfortunately the "government" had meddled and screwed up the system so it isn't as balanced as it should be.
skline
No, it wasnt on my list of concerns about the gas mileage. It is more of a weekend drive around car. Something to waste my time and money on and have a little fun in the process. I know that some people rely on thier cars as daily transportation but I cannot afford to rely on a 30+ year old car. Hopefully this car will be as reliable as a late model car but I will never trust it as such. That is why if I need to go a long distance and I am going to drive it hard there, I will trailer it. That way if it breaks down on me, I can just tow it home and fix it again. I love these cars.
GTeener
Biodiesel could be our salvation. Better yet, straight new or used vegetable oil. McTeener-style. It's renewable, but too hard for the gubumint to regulate prolly wink.gif
SLITS
Steam powered and burn trash! Of course the scrubber required for The Clean Air Act would make it economically unfeasible and we would just burn fossil fuel instead. rolleyes.gif
Sammy
Here's a strategy I used to offset the price of gasoline, so far it's worked like a champ:

A couple years back I saw this coming (and posted my opinion about it on rennlist and the bird site) and sank every penny I had invested (including 401K) split into three different oil company stocks which were way undervalued at the time IMO.
Do some checking on history of Tesoro (TSO) and Valero (VLO) and you'll see what I mean.

During that time my investment has almost tripled and instead of getting upset every time the price of gas or crude jumps, I say yea baby! mueba.gif

I made as much in oil stocks as I have at my job over the past three years. I just wish I could have started with more.
The hard part now is trying to figure out how long to ride this train. I should jump ship now but I'm a greedy bastard. flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.