Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full car covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Anyone out there who makes full car covers?

Mine is falling apart and it's time for a new one ...
idea.gif
rktmn247
I purchased a used one made by California Car Covers. Really nice quality, originally for a Boxster yet still fits the 914 really well.
sixnotfour
http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_step2.aspx
stugray
I am curious what type you are looking for only because I am looking to get one too.

I would love to be able to tow the race car with the cover on it but those are really expensive. If they are not made right the buffeting can damage the paint.
They typically get made by the custom boat cover companies.

I would like to have a least a water-tight, wind-resistant cover when the car is at the track.

Let me know what you find.

Here's a couple but havent tried them.

http://www.car-covers.com/covers/cars/porsche/914/1971.html

http://www.the-cover-store.com/CarItemDeta...=CVH10C151340HG

Stu
rktmn247
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 13 2012, 06:23 PM) *

That's it. Mine is one of the outdoor covers and since it only cost me fifty dollars, I didn't care that it was for a Boxster.
smj
A coworker sent me the Porsche-logo cover her husband used to use on their 911 before they switched over to Mercedes. Fits well enough I don't have a bungee running underneath to keep it from blowing off in the wind. Of course the clear vinyl window for the rear license plate sits about a foot too low, but it's good enough for me.
Dave_Darling
Pelican sells them. I have one, and it's pretty decent.

--DD
mankowski
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2012, 08:38 PM) *

Anyone out there who makes full car covers?

Mine is falling apart and it's time for a new one ...
idea.gif

Mine is made by Cover Mates (www.the-cover-store.com). It works well for indoors and fits well with an elastic hem at the bottom, but is not a tight custom fit. Their lower priced covers are pretty inexpensive and they have a 10% off sale through this weekend.
CrashDown
I'll ask my dad in the morning where he got ours. They were like 20 bucks, made for 914's. Waterproof on the outside, and lined in a sort of fleece material on the inside so ya dont have to worry about it rubbing marks into the paint. I'll post the link when i get an answer from him
Cairo94507
PM sent. bye1.gif
phatnine11
Ordered mine from the Costco website, I think it was $75 dollars. Custom fit, water resistant, delivered to my door, no complaints!
Phatnine11
zymurgist
I use a CoverKing. Kinda spendy but it's about as water resistant as I could find.
bandjoey
Cover king. Cut for a 914 and good material. They have several options too from dust cover to volcano proof. biggrin.gif
76-914
Costco.
pcar916
I'm using the standard silver Porsche cover for a 944/951. Last for years, reflects a lot of heat and handles the flares. The only issue is the mirrors don't line up, but I'm not a detail guy so... laugh.gif

The only issue I had is that it stayed on for a month in humid weather and the front bumper area got moldy (blackish) and I don't know how to clean it since it's clearly not supposed to be "washed". Bummer!
Elliot Cannon
Do you use a car cover to protect that lovely paint or as a theft deterent? happy11.gif (Or is this for that other car).
stugray
I checked the 'Cover king' website, and the only option (color variation allowed) you can put in your cart is:

"CUSTOM VEHICLE COVER STORMPROOF ™ GRAY CLASS 2 for 1971 Porsche 914 No side view mirror pockets"

No side view mirror pockets?

I could live without the side mirror pockets (now) because the stock ones fold so close to the body, but not if I change to something else....

Stu
seanery
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 14 2012, 12:25 AM) *

I would love to be able to tow the race car with the cover on it but those are really expensive. If they are not made right the buffeting can damage the paint.
Stu

Stu,

I got One Of These for towing my Ducati 907 behind the Durango when I picked it up in Maine. It worked great and I still use it to cover the Ducati on my back porch.

They don't list that they do cars, but if they were to do a 914 flared cover I wouldn't pass it up. I've talked to them on the phone before. I'd bet it might be worth your while to give them a call to see if they'd do a 914. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did it!!

-sean
michael7810
Pelican sells several versions of the cover king version. I have the silver shield and it fits very nice, high quality material and keeps the car cool in the AZ sunshine. I also found that Pelican's price is less than the average Joe-blow trying to buy direct.
seanery
I contacted GezaGear, the folks who make the cover for my motorcycle. It turns out they are now making car covers. I'm awaiting more info, but they sent me a photo of a ferrari wearing one of their covers.

What I like about their covers are the quality of construction and that they are designed with materials that allow the car to be towed with the cover on. (depending on the cover fabric chosen) OH, and they're made here in the US. biggrin.gif

I'm excited about this - I'll get one for the 944 and the 914 once I get the details.
jmill
wub.gif

Damn, the way that red cover fits those curves reminds me of......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.