Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum Rear Targa Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
I'm removing the targa trim from my 74 parts car and, as usuall, there's always a glich. The nut on the drivers side came off with no problem, but the one on passenger side
appears to be rusted on plus I can not get the socket to
get a good grip on it. Anyone have any suggestions on
how I can remove the nut without damaging the trim?

I did a search, thought this was addressed awhile ago, but
did not find any usefull info.

Thanks
sj914
Rusted or covered in a crap load of undercoating? You could try vise grips. Also try some liquid wrench.
STL914
Rusted or covered in a crap load of undercoating?

The nut is definitely rusted. I did chip away quite a bit of the undercoating. Maybe I need to chip away more to allow the socket to seat better. Tried vise grips and couldn't get a good grasp with it. I guess I'll need to try some liquid wrench. Should I put a plastic bag over my head while doing this to avoid getting it in my eyes? laugh.gif
sj914
QUOTE(STL914 @ Oct 17 2004, 01:34 PM)
Should I put a plastic bag over my head while doing this to avoid getting it in my eyes? laugh.gif

Naw you'll just make your head rust with all the condensation buildup in the bag biggrin.gif
markb
I watched bondo take one off the other day. He just slid the trim off the holder. Then you can grind off the offending bolt from the top.
STL914
Mark,

Did he have any difficulty sliding the trim off? Was it loose to begin with, allowing him to slide it off? My seems pretty secure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.