Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: N. SF Bay Area Camping Trip - Cancelled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RoadGlue
This event has been cancelled due to a lack of interest. I tried! We'll try again next year.

Have a great summer!

Cheers,

Randy
914Bryan
This sounds like it would be a blast! I have been waiting for a reason to make the trek to the bay area in the teener, and this would be it! It's far off enough to also tighten up some loose ends for reliability concerns..plan it! make it happen!
Lennies914
dancinnanner.gif

Count me in!

Pending details on camping I may be able to persuade the Wife to join me!

PS; August 5th

http://www.norcalvintagevwandporschetreffen.com/
Krieger
I live almost next door to the Spring Lake campground.....
Thestigz06
hey if we can get a group of So Cal teeners to make the trek up there together then count me in!!!
SirAndy
idea.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif
idea.gif

If I am available.....

I can bring the RV
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 15 2012, 04:51 AM) *

agree.gif
idea.gif

If I am available.....

I can bring the RV

agree.gif

I hope not to have a running teener by then. Motors coming out. smash.gif
Valy
+1
RoadGlue
Cool! Ok, so there's interest.

Andy, I'd like to get to a lake where people can swim in nice clear water. Spring Lake is VERY close to your house (hey, that's cheating!) and it's in the middle of Santa Rosa. Let's get out more into the sticks where the water runs clear. Maybe more up towards Redwood Valley, up by Ukiah or Mendo... Lake Sonoma might be a good choice too.

OK, so mark your calendars! piratenanner.gif
jeffdon
This sounds cool. I camped out of my car a lot in the late 80s, and have done two since i got her back on the road. 914 camping is kinda like backpacking, without the walking.
914Bryan
This is what sounds so fun to me. I once rode my Harley to Oregon with nothing but a back pack and a BS tent. It was one of the hardest things I have done, being without creature comforts and such. The physical exhaustion at the end of the day was tough. I did not have a radio or cellphone. However, those alone times on the road were priceless to me. So I feel that a trip like this in the teener will be just as fun. I may be able to haul a little more garb, but not much. I am really looking forward to this if it pans out.

I am in and will be heading out from South Orange County. If there are any other SoCal people that want to hook up and caravan, I am close to the 5 Freeway and Ortega Canyon. This could be a good meeting spot for the coast guys. For the IE, we could meet up in Yorba Linda where the 241 meets the 91. Just an idea. We still have months away to plan it out.

For all this highway miles, I am going to install a remote oil cooler for sure!!

What do you think?

914Bryan
Also, generally speaking, where is this area we are talking about?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jun 18 2012, 09:03 PM) *

Also, generally speaking, where is this area we are talking about?

Sonoma County
Thestigz06
icon_bump.gif to see if there are more interested!
smj
Interested, probably just for one day or the other - we'll see. I put a link to this thread on the Calendar for the appropriate dates, in response to this thread.
RoadGlue
More updates coming soon! Settling in to married life and have had a ton of shoots lately. Can't wait to sit down and plan this out.

Thanks Steve for bumping this!

I have a few different camping destinations in my head - Lake Mendocino, Lake Berryessa or Hendy Woods up along Hwy 128 which is NW of Cloverdale. There are great roads leading around to each of these places. I'm leaning on Hendy Woods, so I'll start making some calls and seeing who has the best availability still for that date.

Cheers,

Randy
RoadGlue
And you know you're in N. Cal when:
IPB Image
RoadGlue
Assuming we go to Hendy Woods -
Day 1:
http://goo.gl/maps/Fi8c

Booneville is a great beer and lunch stop too. Or we could stop earlier depending on the itinerary.

Day 2:

The drive home can be long or short depending on how quickly you need to get home on Sunday.

Long Routes Home: (all about 3.5 hours back to Santa Rosa)

Long Route Option 1:
Mellow compared to the next two options, but it's a lovely a coastal drive back down Hwy 1 continuing on 128 and then back down 1 and over to 101 via Santa Rosa:
http://goo.gl/maps/JGTm

Long Route Option 2:

This would be another partial coastal drive, but instead of coming back all the way down 1, you could cut over from the coast to inland near Healdsburg via the infamous Skaggs Springs Road:
http://goo.gl/maps/ukJM

Long Route Option 3:
This is the only drive in where I nearly made myself car sick while driving. Twisty narrow roads for nearly three hours. This is awesome! Both Mountain View and Skaggs on the same trip. These are classic sports car and motorcycling roads:
http://goo.gl/maps/sbcI

Short Routes Home:(1.5 hours back to Santa Rosa, depending on the route)

Short Route 1:

Zip back down 128 (still a great twisty Hwy!) back to 101 in Cloverdale:
http://goo.gl/maps/gtQg

Short Route 2:
In case you don't want to go back via 128, cutting over to Ukiah is a nice option and the road between Booneville and Ukiah is a lot of fun:
http://goo.gl/maps/be7X

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is just one plan. I love putting these together, so I'm down for other locations. I think this gives you a very good idea about the type of event I'm looking for us to have though. A nice drive, a sit down late lunch, camping, fire and beer and then a nice drive home. I think it's fine if the group wants to split up for the drive home, but it could also be nice if we stick together in at least two groups (long/short) for the return drive down. Safety in numbers in case someone has a mechanical issue is nice when you're out in the boonies (which you would be on the long routes home).

Please chime in!

Randy
RoadGlue
Hendy Wood Pics, good swimming (most of the summer):
https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl...oods+state+park
RoadGlue
In case you haven't camped out of your 914 before (914s are not required btw), it's fun and easy. I've always been able to fit a tend underneath the rear lid when it's stowed too. You do have to bring a small cooler, but everything fits fine when it's just an overnighter.
McMark
I'm gonna try to make it. Love this idea! smiley_notworthy.gif
RoadGlue
I hope you can Mark! Logan might not be able to, so if one of our cars is toast and Alison isn't able to make it, we can carpool if you'd like. MY CAR WILL be running still... smile.gif (crosses fingers)
914Bryan
Each of those driving ideas look great!!..I know that my ass will be feeling it, since it is about 480 miles to get to Santa Rosa from my place!!

Once again, anyone from SoCal gonna make it too?? confused24.gif
RoadGlue
Oh shame. Is there something I could do to make this event more compelling? I'd like to get around 10 cars at least on this event. Much less and it hardly seems like much of an event. Right?

Suggestions? All ears here.

Thanks!

Randy
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 3 2012, 12:15 PM) *

Oh shame. Is there something I could do to make this event more compelling? I'd like to get around 10 cars at least on this event. Much less and it hardly seems like much of an event. Right?

Suggestions? All ears here.

Thanks!

Randy

Original Customs Limo Build Party on one day? confused24.gif
RoadGlue
No grease! smile.gif Plus we're trying to get Mark out of town.

More suggestions!
jcd914
I have not chimed in on this but I am really interested!
I would not be bring a 914 but I love the idea of a camping trip.
Of course by camping I mean dragging my 5th wheel out for the weekend, really roughing it smile.gif
It is a bit far off yet for me to know what I will be dealing with at work then and whether I will be "on call" that weekend.

As for adding to the appeal, think about the things that bring peps to the events like WCR or RRC.
Bull$hit bs.gif & beer beer3.gif probably top the list but there are probably some other things.
Maybe some tech sessions? confused24.gif Group meal? chowtime.gif Drinking games? drunk.gif

If I can get the weekend off I'll bring a batch of homebrew beerchug.gif beer.gif

Jim
ConeDodger
I like...
jeeperjohn56
I would like to come, but had a cast put on my right foot, and can't drive. I'll have it on for a month. have fun and will keep watch for picture's. John
Sea Dragon 914
Wish I could go but I already committed to a camping trip at Stampede for that weekend. Have fun everyone!
jeffdon
just camped out of the car earlier this week. It rocked, and the car did well on its first high altitude trip.
Thestigz06
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jun 28 2012, 08:42 PM) *

Each of those driving ideas look great!!..I know that my ass will be feeling it, since it is about 480 miles to get to Santa Rosa from my place!!

Once again, anyone from SoCal gonna make it too?? confused24.gif

Im going to try and make it bryan! I want to try and get Ethan to go as well!

icon_bump.gif for more so cal teeners!
RoadGlue
It's roll call time. Who's in? The more the merrier. I'll call the campground to double-check group site availability, or I'll have everyone make their own reservations. Preference? If that location doesn't work, there are other places nearby that would work as well.

smile.gif
RoadGlue
I'm going, plus one guest.

There, now it's your turn. smile.gif
RoadGlue
There are also plenty of places to stay if you want a room in the area. Check out Tripadvisor.com for Philo and Boonville, CA.
jcd914
This still for Hendy Forest?

In the little research I have done I have not found a state park that allows RV/trailers in their group campsites but I have not really looked much.

It looks like I should be able to come so I am a strong mayby plus 1

But it needs to be a campground I can bring my trailer to.

If we can't get into a group site then maybe we can get grouped together.
Usually the state allow 8 people to camp site.

Jim
Lennies914
I'm still in. Sounds like a good time!

popcorn[1].gif
JStroud
Can't make this one, have a wedding to go to on Saturday in Lake Tahoe, on the bright side....I'm not paying for it....I get to drive my car to Tahoe and back driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 9 2012, 12:20 PM) *

It's roll call time. Who's in? The more the merrier. I'll call the campground to double-check group site availability, or I'll have everyone make their own reservations. Preference? If that location doesn't work, there are other places nearby that would work as well.

smile.gif

I'd go, gotta ask the girl first. She's kinda high maintenance ...
biggrin.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 9 2012, 07:55 PM) *

smile.gif

I'd go, gotta ask the girl first. She's kinda high maintenance ...
biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Which is exactly why I'll be attending by myself.
BuddyV
Randy - haven't checked the site in a while. This sounds like a great reason to drive 5 miles and sleep in a tent - LOL!

Let me know if it's still on.

Robert

ps - Maybe we can even lead a few cars on a wine tasting tour.
Thestigz06

smile.gif

Im in plus 1
RoadGlue
$45/night for camping at Hendy. What happened to the days of $16/night, a campsite and a fire pit? This place has that, private showers, and...? It's nice, so I don't want to scare anyone off, but I'm annoyed at myself for not catching that earlier.

Is that a deal breaker? If so, I'll re-do the route and find another place for us to stay.

What's the head count? Certainly less than I expected. If I kept this further south, would that spark more interest?
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 18 2012, 06:04 PM) *
If I kept this further south, would that spark more interest?

No. Quite the opposite for me. The less people (besides us), the better...
shades.gif
RoadGlue
OK! I'm down with that. Then let's make our own reservations.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=438

I'm going to stay on the wildcat side. smile.gif

RoadGlue
I also don't mind sharing my spot. I'm reserving my spot (#77) and am saying there will be two vehicles and 4 guests. Sooooo, we can do this a little cheaper if people want to share.
914Bryan
I'm in! The wife may also, but I'm a for sure!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jul 18 2012, 10:10 PM) *

I'm in! The wife may also, but I'm a for sure!

Fantastic! You'll love the roads. Wine tasting is great up near where we are staying as well. smile.gif

Randy
RoadGlue
BUMP.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.