Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car dies after hard stop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
I have Weber IDF40s and the engine dies after a very hard, just short of locking up the wheels, stop. It runs good and doesn't quit any other times. Anyone else have this problem? Could it be the float levels?
ThePaintedMan
Positive someone else's opinion is better than mine on this one, being a newbie to carbs, but thats exactly what it sounds like to me. I had an Holley with a misadjusted float on my old T-Bird and it did the same thing. Might try taking them apart and re-setting it to specs/checking float level.

-George
IanJ
Have you checked the clutch adjustment (or even make sure the mat isn't stopping the pedal from going right down)

I had this problem recently...so you never know!
rhodyguy
don't tear your carbs apart. i think its something else. how long has this been happening? since you've owned the car? if you are rolling in neutral and hit the binders does the car still die?
yeahmag
Yes it could. Or a "sinking" float. That is assuming the same thing happens if you pop it in neutral and do a hard stop.

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 14 2012, 07:06 PM) *

I have Weber IDF40s and the engine dies after a very hard, just short of locking up the wheels, stop. It runs good and doesn't quit any other times. Anyone else have this problem? Could it be the float levels?

Dr Evil
Does your electrical stay on? Similar issue happened to someone else and it was found that he/she had too much crap on the key ring and gravity would pull all that crap forward and turn the car off, then swing back and turn stuff on with a dead engine.

A bad start switch can do this without all the junk on the ring. It is an unlikely scenario, but I thought about it so posted it.
ThePaintedMan
Wow, those are all really good points too! I think Kevin's question was really pertinent - did it just all of a sudden start doing this? It is doubtful a carb's float level would all of a sudden change, unless the float itself was leaking. Right?
michael7810
I've only owned the car for a couple years and yes the problem has been occurring since day 1. What I first noticed was the oil pressure light would come on so I don't think the electrical is cutting off...I only use 1 key with no key ring when I drive it. Also if the power cycles the A/F gauge would go through it's startup process and that is not happening. I have not tried it in neutral but I know it does happen with the clutch in. I'll try it in neutral the next time I'm out. I'll see if the A/F goes way lean/rich during the hard stop and maybe I'll be able to tell if it's fuel related.
Kirmizi
How are the fuel lines below the tank? Any kinks or twists?
Mike
michael7810
I have replaced the tank fuel lines so I think they are OK. I don't think it would be fuel starvation if the float bowls were full to begin with. Hopefully the A/F meter will tell me if it's a fuel problem. I'll need a copilot to watch the meter while I slam on the binders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.