Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Much Tiar....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
..... under "standard" 914 GT flares.

I need a dimension from the inner edge of the rear flare to the inner fender thingy.

TIA.
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 17 2004, 02:17 PM)
..... under "standard" 914 GT flares.

245 in the front and 285 in the rear. the rear will be *really* tight, but they do fit. GTs ran them on 9" wheels.
in the front, you *could* go larger than 245 (GTs ran them on 8"), but then you'll have problem with tires rubbing at full turn or ripping the flares apart at turn + bump.

wink.gif Andy

PS: for racing tires, i have a set of 23 x 9 x15 (goodyear) and that's about all you can fit under there as well, very tight fit front/rear ...

I need a dimension from the inner edge of the rear flare to the inner fender thingy.

about 9" +/- a few depending on your car ...
SirAndy
if you need more space, get the 11" flares ...

btw. that reminds me, i have seen porsche documentation that refers to 11" flares for the factory GTs. which would mean, porsche had them in *steel* at one time!

anyone here ever seen steel 11" GT flares ???
idea.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2004, 03:02 PM)
if you need more space, get the 11" flares ...

btw. that reminds me, i have seen porsche documentation that refers to 11" flares for the factory GTs. which would mean, porsche had them in *steel* at one time!

anyone here ever seen steel 11" GT flares ???
idea.gif Andy

dekman has steel huge rear flares. i bet they are custom tho
J P Stein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2004, 01:58 PM)

PS: for racing tires, i have a set of 23 x 9 x15 (goodyear) and that's about all you can fit under there as well, very tight fit front/rear ...

I'm told that 9 X 23 cantilevers have a max section width of 10.25 in so I figure I need that ...plus some.
nine14cats
Hi JP,

I know that Sir Andy has a set of canti's he bought from me and he says he can fit them below his GT flares. You may need a little more room depending upon how much your car moves around the tires themselves. I actually had more rubbing on the rear against the inside of the body. I at first used 28mm spacers on the car in the rear and had no rubbing. Using HPH's (Bontempi's flares) front and rear, I ended up running 28mm spacers up front and 43mm spacers in the rear. The HPH flares are bigger in the back than in the front.

Without spacers in the front, the insides of the cantilevers will rub on the strut under hard cornering....you'll need some type of spacer to give it room.

Later this week you should have something to play with.

Bill P.
J P Stein
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 17 2004, 07:44 PM)

Bill P.

I be lookin' froward to that biggrin.gif

Presently, I'm running 7mm spacers in the rear to keep the 225 Hoosiers off the inner fender. I have no dust covers on my front struts and have no issues there...about 1 inch clearance to the strut.......but the cantilevers are a 3/4 in wider cross section so that would close up about 3/8 inch.

Just to confuse the issue, I'm told that Goodyears like 0 camber, but Hoosiers like 1.5 neg....both cantilevers. That moves clearance issues around quite a bit.

HPH flares are an option at the rear.....I just hate to start hacking up the body. With 2 deg neg at the rear, I'm pretty sure the slicks will fit on one side but not the other. 0 camber?.....it's get out the hammer time smash.gif smash.gif
Andyrew
Wait wait wait wait....

9in is the total clearance for the tire??? and it fits 285's????

Im missin somethin here....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 17 2004, 09:31 PM)
Im missin somethin here....

i said +/- a few ...

wink.gif Andy

(too lazy to go out in the rain and measure right now)
Andyrew
Mines close to 10.5....

Aint no way 285's are fittin in that....

255 50's where touching both sides....

Andrew
John Kelly
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 17 2004, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 17 2004, 07:44 PM)

Bill P.

I be lookin' froward to that biggrin.gif

Presently, I'm running 7mm spacers in the rear to keep the 225 Hoosiers off the inner fender. I have no dust covers on my front struts and have no issues there...about 1 inch clearance to the strut.......but the cantilevers are a 3/4 in wider cross section so that would close up about 3/8 inch.

Just to confuse the issue, I'm told that Goodyears like 0 camber, but Hoosiers like 1.5 neg....both cantilevers. That moves clearance issues around quite a bit.

HPH flares are an option at the rear.....I just hate to start hacking up the body. With 2 deg neg at the rear, I'm pretty sure the slicks will fit on one side but not the other. 0 camber?.....it's get out the hammer time smash.gif smash.gif

JP,

It's palm nailer time, not hammer time. Save your arms for the final smoothing with hammer and dolly.

A palm nailer and carriage bolt cost about $100, a shot dolly is about $15. If you have an air compressor and ear plugs, you are good to go.

You can press the shot dolly against a low spot on the outside of the fender, and use the palm nailer on the inside to stretch the metal out. You won't believe how fast this is.

Do we have to have a flare party at your place to convert you to the stretch-o-matic method? Maybe on a saturday...one session could do a lot, and you could take it from there.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
nine14cats
Hi JP,

The people I have talked to agree that the Hoosiers like a little negative camber. I'm running 1 degree negative all around as a compromise to run both Hoosiers and Goodyears. Plenty of people run the Goodyears with negative camber, big time race shops close to me, as they say it gives better cornering characteristics while trading off tire wear.

I originally had 2 degrees negative in the rear and 1.5 degrees negative in the fron when I started, and the tires, especially the Goodyears would wear quickly on the inside. No surprise, but when I went to the 1 degree negative all around, I started finsihing in the top 2 consistently in the local auto-x's and picked up ~ 2 seconds a lap at Thunderhill.

Of course I was also getting slightly better at driving, so go figure what really made a difference.

I'll have the shipping info later today on the canti's.

Bill P.
Series9
I have 9x17" 993 Cup II wheels on the rear of mine with 255/40-17s. I have about 42mm of spacer under each wheel and they fit nicely under steel flairs.

285s would definitely not fit on my car. burnout.gif
SirAndy
ok, i lied ... biggrin.gif

just went down to measure,

rear, from inner fender well to lip of flare ~11.5"
front, from strut to lip of flare ~11.5"

i guess they call them 9" flares because you can fit the 9" wheels under them.
my goodyear slicks (23 x 9 x 15) are 10.5" sidewall/sidewall, so with 0 camber, i should be fine running them.
285's will fit as well (very tight), but i recall we had one member post pics of his car with 285's in the rear ...

later,
driving.gif Andy
Mueller
hatfield is running 255's front and 275s rear (17" rims) under 'glass GT flares
(9 and 10's I believe)
nine14cats
JP,

They're on the way.....have fun!

Bill P.
J P Stein
Bill:
rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif
nine14cats
JP,

Post pics when you start beatin' the dogs**t out of those fenders!

Bill P.

I'll live vicariously through the board. I've got a long way to go on my car.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.