Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ball joint replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tedman5
So I'm redoing my front suspension and was able to get the ball joint castle nut off with the chisel and hammer method.
I realized the reinstall requires the pin wrench socket (@ $52 from Pelican) and a whopping 185 ft pounds of torque.
Is there an alternative tool out there possibly not as exspensive as a Porsche tool that fits? Or does anyone have an extra lying around the tool box to part with? Borrow/rent? beer3.gif
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
914Sixer
Nope, you got to use the correct tool. Some one should have a socket to loan. I have to check to see if I still have mine. HD 1/2" drive impact drive should get the torque required.
Tedman5
Thanks. I wasn't referring to an incorrect tool for the job, but moreless a cross referenced tool for another car with the same design and specs, but cheaper.

Hopefully someone will step up with a loaner program. pray.gif
913B
If i remember from a previous post. Autozone or any other auto part store and look for a 4x4 hub socket for domestic vehicle. Bring your new ball joint to match. I hear it is close enough match. Good luck !
Tedman5
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Jun 16 2012, 10:01 PM) *

If i remember from a previous post. Autozone or any other auto part store and look for a 4x4 hub socket for domestic vehicle. Bring your new ball joint to match. I hear it is close enough match. Good luck !

Right on, I read that too but couldn't remember where nor the post I read wasn't clear about it. I'll check into that too as an option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.