Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob question - v belt change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Ive read about the shortcuts to replacing belt by partly looping over alternator and fan, then starting car.

My question is even more basic than that. How do I even get to the belt so I can see it or the fan pulley. Do I go from underneath car or from top? Do I need to remove any of the sheet metal from engine compartment first? Can't seem to find this in the books I do have.

Fortunately, and obviously, I have not had to spend any time in the engine compartment on my 914.

Thanks.

Dave_Darling
From the top, reach around the front of the fan shroud. The belt is there.

--DD
6freak
[quote name='Amphicar770' date='Jun 15 2012, 10:41 AM' post='1693912']
Ive read about the shortcuts to replacing belt by partly looping over alternator and fan, then starting car.
very bad idea....JMO
smile.gif
rhodyguy
that's not a shortcut. it'll take you longer to get out the tools than to loosen the alt on the bracket and push the alt towards the engine. the belt will almost fall off.

k
Dr Evil
Definitely dont do it on a running engine.
luskesq
I agree with all of the preceding comments. It is easier to put it on the fan pulley (large one) before attempting to put it on the alternator.

Keith
Amphicar770
Thanks. Once I knew how to get to it, took 5 minutes. Put it over fan, partly on alternator, rolled car backward 6 inches in 3rd gear and went right on.

I do believe that the belt on there was the original, VW labeled, unit. I could easily bend and break it. I suppose that after 50k miles, and 38 years, it was due to be replaced!!

Amphicar770
Ugh. So the new built lasted about 10 miles before it was thrown and twisted. The original lasted 30+ years.

What is the correct tension when pressing lightly with thumb?. I have seen one post that says the width of the belt, another says .5 - .75 inches.

The original, non-serrated belt was looser but I figured it was just old. I just replaced the thrown Conti with a Dayco which is serated on top rather than bottom. Note I have not moved the alternator at all, the alternator does spin freely.

Thanks again.
Black22
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 22 2012, 04:21 PM) *

Note I have not moved the alternator at all, the alternator does spin freely.

Thanks again.

That's probably part of the problem. You NEED to loosen up the alternator to install the new belt, not stretch the new one over the pullys as they sit.

I tighten mine up so that I can twist the belt enough to make the top of th ebelt become the side. (Think of the belt as a square. Tighten the belt up enough so that you can twist the top of the sqaure enough to make it the side of the square. It should take a little effort, not alot, but also you should not be able to twist it enough to make the top of the square the bottom.)

Does that make sense or make it worse? blink.gif

Anyways that's how my dad taught me. Of course He actually showed me, he didn' t write me a letter about it. lol-2.gif

Check YouTube for a visual.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jun 22 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Does that make sense or make it worse? blink.gif

Anyways that's how my dad taught me. Of course He actually showed me, he didn' t write me a letter about it. lol-2.gif

Thanks. That does make sense. Checked it a minute ago and it is just as you describe. Hopefully better luck with this one.

My Dad's toolbox consisted of a butter knife and a hammer. Makes me look like a master mechanic!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.