Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nother crazy fuel pump question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Thanks all!!

You all rock....

Well I thought I would get my own birthday gift....a running 914...

This is my new 2.7l big 4.. motor is in, I wired up the distributer, oil pressure gage, and all the fuel injectors....

I had relocated the fuel pump to the front trunk and run new steel fuel lines...

Ok, big moment...about 20 minutes ago....noise and smoke....come on....

I got the smoke all right...let that magic smoke right out of the fuel pump relay....

Oh, well, it was a long shot anyway...I did crank it over, does that count??

There is something strange about the fuel pump,

+
(
-

The minus is common with the pump body, I put a ground on the -- and batt on the ++ It was like a direct short????? WTF????.... Ok, the pump body is common with the car body, so I put the batt on the -- and the motor spins????? Only it sounds like it is pumping air into the gas tank....Oh man, this is going to be painful....

So, what is going on???? any thoughts????

--------------------
Herb Berwald

'73 2.0 track car
'79 BMW 320i daily driver
'88 F150 extended cab long bed tow vehicle

2.7 l big 4 in progress......Yea baby!
Aaron Cox
did you revers the input annd out put of the pump?
crash914
I am sure that the hoses are hooked up correctly...( I will verify.)

S--suction from tank through filter
D-to fuel rail stopped by pressure regulator
R--return to pump, tee'd for leg for tank return.

When I powered it up, it looked like a dead short. took out the fuse right away, So I got a bigger fuse....took out the traces on the circuit board....

So getting smarter, I went directly from the battery. Neg to Neg, pos to pos....The wire got warm and the pump didn't run...

So I got out the meter and verified that the pump body is grounded, Pos to Pos, nothing. Pos to Neg terminal, pump runs. But now I am hearing gurgling sounds in my tank, there is not a lot of fuel in there, so It could be returned fuel, but I am now wondering if I am running the fuel pump backwards??

Does anyone know the running amperage of the fuel pump? Any good pictures showing the + and - terminals? Is it possible to run the pump backwards?

I guess a 30 amp fuse was too large...
Oh well, whats another couple days after a year...... sad.gif beerchug.gif
URY914
What kinda of pump is it. Who makes it?

Paul
Mark Henry
My '74 pump had both a + and a - terminal, you could not just ground the body because of the rubber isolators.

Might be just a piece of crap in it.

Hook the pump up (right way) and give it some light taps with a soft hammer, connect-disconnect-tap-repeat....I've freed up a couple of pumps this way. P-oil might help when you do this.
crash914
Ok, this is a stock pump in a 73 2.0

I just reviewed the fuel section of the P-car manual....I had plus to plus and minus to minus....????

When I hooked the plus to the minus terminal the pump ran.....Backwards??

When I had it connected correctly, I fried a 30 amp fuse...

I can't see any errors...I do want to pull my hoses and see if I can get any suction...

This should be simple...two wires....what am I doing wrong?

thanks, herb
skline
Well, unless I hear this all wrong, logic tells me if you have the body as grounded, and you touch the positive to the negative terminal, the fuse should blow right away, dead short, if you touch it to the positive side and it is blowing the fuse, there is another problem somewhere. Something is not right.
skline
Also, a 2.7 liter big 4??? Are you running fuel injection on that? If you are running carbs, then you should not be running a stock pump, you only need about 3 to 5 PSI for carbs.
crash914
You heard right....

2.7l big four...with fuel injection....

I am running IDF throttle bodies and am using megaSquirt for the fuel control..

Does anyone know if you can run the fuel pump backwards?

I might break down and get a new pump with only an inlet and outlet....I only need 2 bar so there are several pumps to chose from....
seanery
I like the idea of the new pump.
Facet makes a higher pressure one.
Pegasus sells them.
banderson
Herb, did you say that you fried the realay bd? I may have a spare if you need one. Its condition is unknown.

-Brett
crash914
This is the megasquirt relay board....by OEM board is ok...

got another fuel pump??

Thanks, herb
SpecialK
Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here....but are you sure you don't have the battery (+) terminal connected ground, and vice-versa? Hey, could happen! wink.gif
crash914
You could be right about the +and -

It did match the service manual...but see below for the picture of what I did...

when I switched the leads, the pump ran, it sucked in the S port... It blew out the R port and by default, the D port must be the R port.....

Anyway, I will now fill the tank and try it...I have a new relay board comming so we will see what happens......I don't know why nothing matches the book, but well...that is how it goes...
banderson
[QUOTE]

Sure do. Yours if you need it.
DNHunt
Herb

Could the problem have been at the MS relay board. As I remember, there was a jumper to solder that determined if you broke the positive track or ground with fuel pump relay, It's been a long while since I put that together but, I seem to remember that was confusing.

If that was backassward it would reverse the polarity.

Good luck

Dave
crash914
Could be.....but it was the same when I hot wired it off the battery...

As it now stands, it should be ok.....I hope to hear the roar this week...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.