Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vapor lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimN73
This afternoon outside temp was at least 94. the car took a long time to start:crank, pump, wait, pump, crank, curse, crank.

Finally started, when I finished my errand it didn't want to start again.

Vapor lock?? Is there a cure??

thanks,
SirAndy
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jun 16 2012, 06:55 PM) *
This afternoon outside temp was at least 94. the car took a long time to start:crank, pump, wait, pump, crank, curse, crank

Carbs? FI? DJet? LJet?
confused24.gif
JimN73
IDF 40s on a 2056.

I've been talking to Mark about some problems with the carbs, but they've been running pretty well lately. Thought maybe I was winning.
flash914
Where is the fuel pump. Move the pump to the front of the car under the tank. the pumps we tend to use like to push fuel not pull it. Gordon Sharp.
JimN73
Gordon, the pump is protected from the sun and the radiation off the driveway is not that great.

This has not been an issue until today, last year the car was fine during heat waves. I'm not sure that it's vapor lock and would like some other suggestions.

Thanks,
GeorgeRud
If the pump is in the back, it is not protected from the heat of the exhaust and under engine heat, so it can be vapor lock.

Do you have ethanol laced gasoline is your area? It perculates at a lower temp and could also be part of the problem in a carbed car. I'm investigating going to an EFI setup on my 2.7 engine as it really doesn't seem to do so well with the old Webers anymore.
Mike Bellis
Put a bypass style fuel regulator and return fuel line. Then you can flip a fuel pump switch and use the fuel circulating to cool the system. Thus eliminate the vapor lock... smile.gif
JimN73
George, the pump is in the back. The problem is that I had not yet run the car today. There was no heat from the engine or the exhaust, just the sun.

So, the question is: can vapor lock occur with just atmospheric conditions?

Jim
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jun 16 2012, 08:06 PM) *

So, the question is: can vapor lock occur with just atmospheric conditions?

Jim

Yes, The boiling temp of gasoline is -45 F. So above -45F gasoline will vaporize allowing engines in arctic temps to operate. If left in the sun, your engine compartment is over 100F.
JimN73
Thanks, Mike.
Mike Bellis
Bypass regulator will eliminate this.

Once you have vapor lock, the vapor gets trapped in the carbs, the only way out. as new fuel hits the hot hoses, it vaporizes quickly. The only escape for the pressurized vapor is through the carb.

The bypass regulator gives the fuel an easier way to escape. The rush of fresh fuel will cool down the lines and the carbs (a little). Then the car just starts right up.
SirAndy
Also, make sure you're using the thick FI phenolic spacers between the heads and the intake runners. This helps insulating the intakes from the heat of the heads.

Without them, you can easily boil the fuel in the carb bowls after shutting off the engine when it's hot.
popcorn[1].gif
Elliot Cannon
My pump is on the firewall under the engine and vapor lock has NEVER been a problem even on the hotest days.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 17 2012, 11:07 AM) *

My pump is on the firewall under the engine and vapor lock has NEVER been a problem even on the hotest days.

That's because you're tooo cooool.... smiley_notworthy.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 17 2012, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 17 2012, 11:07 AM) *

That's because you're tooo cooool.... smiley_notworthy.gif

Thank you. Thank you very much. lol-2.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.