Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slight rant - Selling a car (not my Six)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
So my wife has decided she is tired of her '10 MBZ E coupe- it is in showroom condition with 18K miles. So I list it on Auto Trader and have had a lot of inquiries...all good so far.

Here is the rub, if someone can't afford a car why the heck do they bother to call and schedule appointments and then never show up and fail to even call to cancel? I had two calls from younger sounding guys (subjective I know) who spent almost 30 minutes asking me every detail about the car and then scheduled appointments to see it. I agreed to their requested time and then they don't call, don't show up, nothing. Frustrating as I kind of adjust my schedule to accommodate them.

The funny thing is with the way I keep my cars, usually it's the first real buyer (someone with the money) that sees the car and immediately buys it. I never even have to haggle over price.

OK - I am done. Oh, she wants a 997.2 ('09-'11) 4S six-speed coupe.....
mepstein
Show it on your schedule - not theirs.
billh1963
Be prepared for a lot of that.....it's all part of the game
biosurfer1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 17 2012, 07:03 AM) *

Show it on your schedule - not theirs.

+1 When I just sold my truck, I told people where it would be at what time (never at my house), if they were interested, they could show up, otherwise it was onto the next guy. It sounds like you don't "have" to sell the car, so no need to cater to the buyers whims
carr914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 17 2012, 09:50 AM) *

So my wife has decided she is tired of her '10 MBZ E coupe- it is in showroom condition with 18K miles. So I list it on Auto Trader and have had a lot of inquiries...all good so far.

Here is the rub, if someone can't afford a car why the heck do they bother to call and schedule appointments and then never show up and fail to even call to cancel? I had two calls from younger sounding guys (subjective I know) who spent almost 30 minutes asking me every detail about the car and then scheduled appointments to see it. I agreed to their requested time and then they don't call, don't show up, nothing. Frustrating as I kind of adjust my schedule to accommodate them.

The funny thing is with the way I keep my cars, usually it's the first real buyer (someone with the money) that sees the car and immediately buys it. I never even have to haggle over price.

OK - I am done. .

agree.gif Been There many times
JRust
It's always that way selling a car. I bought my daughters a newer car. I have their old civic up for sale. Even a cheaper car people are ridiculous on. I'm all for I will be at this place for a half an hour. You & anyone else can come to see it then. If your really interested bring the cash & it can be yours. Selling is always a PITA mad.gif
IronHillRestorations
Unfortunately, it's part of the territory.

ps your wife really want's an air-cooled 911, she just doesn't know it.
ConeDodger
I feel your pain. When we decided to sell the Carrera I placed an ad on the PCA site and on the Bird Board. The car has 71K miles on it and is more original than any I had ever seen. A true 'Preservation' car. It sold in less than 20 hours at the asking price. The guy who bought it was coming from Berkley and was so sure he would buy it, he called from Auburn (100 miles from home and 100 miles to go) to ask if he could 'see it today'. He had a trailer hooked to his truck.

My son cried as he watched it trailered away.

Two weeks later, I get an email from some asshat saying that if I was asking a rational price I might get a single person to even respond to the ad. He said I was asking $5K too high for the car. I thanked him for the response and said it was always good to hear from the 'experts' but that the car had sold at the asking price 20 hours after the ad was placed and was now on its way to Germany. Only the finest get to go back home... biggrin.gif
rwilner
It works the other way too.

I helped my brother in law purchase a used cr-v last week. The first guy said he was the original owner. That was true, if you didn't count the guy that owned it before him. Another guy let us test drive the car but refused to let us take it to a mechanic. A third guy sold the car and didn't tell us or cancel the appointment. Finally bought the fourth car.

Dealerships are a pita but they definitely have their appeal.
sww914
Wanna trade fer a 88 300ZX, it's a perty nice car, jus needs some polstery anna head gasket?
Cairo94507
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 17 2012, 11:27 AM) *

Unfortunately, it's part of the territory.

ps your wife really want's an air-cooled 911, she just doesn't know it.

Her last one was air cooled- a 993 coupe 6 speed smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2012, 11:28 AM) *

I feel your pain. When we decided to sell the Carrera I placed an ad on the PCA site and on the Bird Board. The car has 71K miles on it and is more original than any I had ever seen. A true 'Preservation' car. It sold in less than 20 hours at the asking price. The guy who bought it was coming from Berkley and was so sure he would buy it, he called from Auburn (100 miles from home and 100 miles to go) to ask if he could 'see it today'. He had a trailer hooked to his truck.

My son cried as he watched it trailered away.

Two weeks later, I get an email from some asshat saying that if I was asking a rational price I might get a single person to even respond to the ad. He said I was asking $5K too high for the car. I thanked him for the response and said it was always good to hear from the 'experts' but that the car had sold at the asking price 20 hours after the ad was placed and was now on its way to Germany. Only the finest get to go back home... biggrin.gif

Oh sure, you can take a picture of your 911 without a garbage can but not the 914 confused24.gif
IronHillRestorations
The water pumper Porsches are throw away cars and won't ever retain the value like air cooled.
Cairo94507
Yeah well my wife wants one for her DD so that's the plan. Besides, I have my air-cooled six that I plan to keep until I am senile blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.