Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cut a hole in my transaxle this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Demick
I've been plagued with clutch problems for the last few years. Every year (about 5000 miles) or so, my clutch disc fractures, one of the springs falls out, and jams between the clutch disc and pressure plate - clutch disc and pressure plate get toasted. So I replace everything and start the process over again. I have not been able to figure out what causes this to happen. So anyway, I cut a hole in my transmission this weekend so that I can see into the clutch area. Main thing I can do is monitor wear on the pressure plate fingers and check to see if everything seems normal related to the throwout bearing, arm, guide tube etc. Hole is about 1" x 1.5". Not a view most people see so I thought I'd post a pic.

I've never had the chance to machine magnesium before. It drills and cuts like butter!

Demick
'74 2.0
Jeffs9146
Watch out for that..... ohmy.gif .......puddle?!

I hope you find the problem!

Jeff
Matt914MI
AND it's weight reduction!
Lawrence
Interesting. Do you have a plan to keep the hole covered to prevent foriegn object damage?

-Rusty
Demick
Easy to make a cover if I need to - but I don't think that will be necessary. The hole for the clutch pivot arm is at least as big and doesn't seem to cause a problem. Its not really protected either. I just couldn't see in that hole with the clutch arm in the way.

Demick
Lawrence
It was tough for me to judge the size of the hole by the picture. Of course, I could have just read your narrative. smile.gif

-Rusty
need4speed
One warning, you gotta be VERY careful when machining magnesium or especially aluminum. If you happen to nick a steel part with your grinder or tool, you'll throw sparks.

Magnesium and aluminum powder are both VERY flammable. And aluminum powder burns VERY hot. (ie - it's called thermite, when mixed with iron oxide as an oxidizer, and it's used to burn holes through plate steel.) I guess magnesium burns pretty hot too. Very difficult fires to put out.

(I can't claim to have learned this "the hard way" - but I know someone who claims that). laugh.gif
Demick
Yep. I'm very familiar with the danger of magnesium powder and shavings, but it is good to point it out publicly on the list when this kind of stuff is being discussed.

When I was in high school, I had a friend that worked in a shop where they machined magnesium. He collected the shavings for months, and then when 4th of July rolled around, we made our own fireworks using the magnesium shavings, powder from inside flares, etc. We packed it into empty aluminum coke cans and added a fuse. Fun stuff (since nobody got hurt). It is one of those times you look back on and wonder how you survived your own childhood.

Demick
Lawrence
It is one of those times you look back on and wonder how you survived your own childhood.

God watches over fools, drunks and little children.

-Rusty
Jeff Bonanno
we used to light the thermite (aluminum + Fe2O3) with a magnesium wick for a chemistry class demo. cool but not too easy on the eyes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.