Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Flamethrower?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I was driving my '71 914/6 3.2 at an evening lapping day last week. The last session ran well past dusk ... another words it was pretty dark.

In the paddock afterwords, another driver told me he enjoyed watching the flames belch from the exhaust of my car when I changed gears. I did not even have the megaphone ("flamepipe") exhaust pipes installed. The current exhaust is a hollowed out 2-in-2-out banana muffler with 3" tips.

Is this OK? Should the mixture be adjusted?

Maybe I just need to drive faster to blow out the flames.

Cheers, Eddie

'71 914/6 Conversion 3.2 six, 40 IDA3C Weber Carburetors

SLITS
Hmmmm .... just a tad rich on overrun? av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
Put a spark plug in your exhaust and REALLY burn that stuff off. happy11.gif lol-2.gif
messix
who cares it's cool!

lets do that down alki!!! happy11.gif
rohar
If you install supertraps, you can get that cool flaming halo effect.
Eddie914
I would love to have some pictures! I didn't notice anyone using a video camera (GoPro?) in this last session, so I'm probably out of luck.

It's pretty common to see modified turbo cars belching flames on over-run. It doesn't seem as common with naturally aspirated engines. Nascar engines seem to belch flames and they manage to last 500 miles. I suspect that it's safer to be too rich instead of too lean.

There was a 996 911 Turbo in my lapping group that shot nice twin flames on every shift. My car could keep up quite well except on the main straight ... for some reason I would lose a couple of cars lengths (someone mentioned that the engine had been modified to about 650 HP!).

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.