Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake lights trigger side markers !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyecolor
Honest.

Project car almost ready for inspection. I don't know how long this has been going on since it has been on jacks for some time.

When I hit the brakes the front side markers also go on. They still work with the flashers on turn signals.

I hope to remove them or convert to something less wart-like eventually.

For now- any ideas?

Thanks
904svo
Sounds like you have grounding problems, check the grounds in the trunk and the ground in the engine compartment
smj
QUOTE(eyecolor @ Jun 17 2012, 08:46 AM) *

Project car almost ready for inspection. ... When I hit the brakes the front side markers also go on.

What, you don't think that'll pass? Tell 'em it's an extra safety feature, like the flashing brake lights on some motorcycles. shades.gif

And lest we lose sight of it - congrats on getting your car on the road! smilie_pokal.gif
Mike Bellis
Make sure you are plugged in correctly in the rear. The brake light circuit comes from the switch (under pedal board) directly to the rear lamps. If you are connected correctly, there is no way to flash the running lights. If your connected into the rear parking bulb somehow, you could feed the power back to the front.

Bad grounds is also a possibility. If the rear ground (under relay board) is bad, the power will search for ground through any circuit.

From Jeff Bowlsby...

Click to view attachment
toolguy
disconnect both brake lites at the rear. . then try it. . .
the side markers are fed fron the front turn light buckets, , same wire. . so it's very strange that only the side markers lite up and not the front lite. . or maybe there are so dim you cant's notice it. .

anyway, disconnect the blk yel leads on both tail lites. . if that clears it, plug in one rear at a time and see which side is causing the cross. . . then take that housing bulbs out and see if that clears the cross. . you might have to take the reflectors out and look at the wiring under them to see what's going on. . possible a bulb socket has bent fingers on the multiple filament bulbs. .
eyecolor
possible a bulb socket has bent fingers on the multiple filament bulbs. .

That may actually make some sense. My neighbor thinks one of the brake lights is much brighter than the other.

Still looking at grounds.

As always, much thanks to all!
toolguy
OK that's another hint. . if the fingers look ok, check that the bulb doesn't turn too far. . it could twist past the bayonet side pins, then the connection on the bulb would actually bridge the two fingers. so then the stop light battery voltage crosses to the tail light element of the dual filament and back feeds down the tail light lead going to the front running light bulbs. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.