Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing stock fuel lines..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
Tank end first?And yank em through?
pilothyer
That's pretty much it.....push the lines through the large grommet from the tank area, and if possible unclip the lines inside the tunnel than go to the rear and pull them through.
speed metal army
Mines a late car. Dont knowif that makes any difference.. So i cant pull the whole works through the tank area?
jhora
I just did this....

I removed them from the rear at the engine fire wall...right by the speedo cable...my engine is out
there are two of those little fold over metal clips in the tunnel holding them(these are like the ones holding most elec wires in both trunks)
they are accessable from the shifter adjuster lid and under the shifter area...
cafefully bend them up and the lines will pull out very easy...my be a little stiff at both the front an rear firewall rubber grommets
I pull both lines at the same time with out any problem...
Good Luck....John
pilothyer
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jun 17 2012, 04:21 PM) *

Mines a late car. Dont knowif that makes any difference.. So i cant pull the whole works through the tank area?

Not very easily.......the lines at the tank end are steel with a bend and are about 20 inches long before the plastic tubes.......very much easier to remove from the rear.
speed metal army
Done! It was actually easier to pull them back to the shifter access hole, then out of the same hole. When pulling from the firewall they wanted to hang up on something...
Thanks for the tips !
jhora
Jerry...you're right...sorry...mine was a 70 914-6...the early ones had no metal pipe on the plastic lines at the tank end...just hose all the way....thanks for the correction....
gothspeed
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jun 17 2012, 06:06 PM) *

Done! It was actually easier to pull them back to the shifter access hole, then out of the same hole. When pulling from the firewall they wanted to hang up on something...
Thanks for the tips !

I am getting ready to do this same task. So that is good info smile.gif!

What lines will you be putting in? Will you be installing the new lines through the firewall first?
JawjaPorsche
Yes, because of the angle. You don't want to bend the steel lines.
speed metal army
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jun 18 2012, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jun 17 2012, 06:06 PM) *

Thanks for the tips !

I am getting ready to do this same task. So that is good info smile.gif!

What lines will you be putting in? Will you be installing the new lines through the firewall first?

I will be installing 3/8" SS tube.Yep! Thru the firewall.
stugray
Too late, but I pulled wire through the tunnels when pulling the old lines out.
That made it easier to pull the new lines in ;-)

For the new lines, I used 5' of steel brake line from the FLAPS.
They went in almost perfectly straight except the last few inches under the tank where I needed a kink or two.

Stu
Bartlett 914
I just installed a set of SS lines. Drivers seat and center console is out. This gave me easy access to the plate on the top of the tunnel in front. There you can see the lines going into the rubber plug into the front. I pulled the lines out there and pushed the plug into the tank area. Old lines were easy to get out ans I pushed the new ones in easily. Used a little soap to lubricate the rubber for the tubes and to make it easier to push back in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.