Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transplanting a '74 2.0 into a '76.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
If the '74 2.0 I have listed doesn't sell, i'm thinking of putting the engine/transmission in the '76 I have. The '76 currently has the original 2.0 with a single carb stuck on it.

I assume the '76 has a low pressure fuel pump in there now. Other than changing over the fuel pump to a factory high pressure one, what else will I need to do? Smog isn't an issue here in SC so I don't have any issues with emissions equipment.

I will change the tunnel fuel lines to stainless and replace all the engine hoses, injector seals, etc. Are the relay boards compatible? What else would I need to change?

Any input is appreciated.

The car I propose to put the engine into....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
PancakePorsche
No differences. Just make sure relay board was not modified for carb pump or just use the 74 board. keep your 74 Injection and ignition harnesses and ECU together as a set. The best improvement to a 75 or 76 is to backdate the ECU and exhaust to 74 components. I backdated the ECU in my 76 to ditch the anoying fuel cut-off lurch at 2200 rpm when coasting in gear to a stop. The late exhaust was restrictive and the reason for drop in horsepower and higher operating temps.
dflesburg
replace your fuel lines while you have the engine out... just sayin.
ConeDodger
The bumpers... biggrin.gif
billh1963
Thank you for the replies. I think I'll just move everything over as group.
914werke
if you have a #'s matching 76 why would you cannibalize it?
billh1963
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 18 2012, 07:24 PM) *

if you have a #'s matching 76 why would you cannibalize it?

I would put the 2.0 from the '74 into the '76. I would not get rid of the original engine from the '76. That engine does run; however, it needs dual carbs or a fuel injection system put on it.
Bob L.
If the 2.0 in the '76 runs, why not just move the FI bits over incl. the fuel pump?

P.S. Nice car!
billh1963
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 18 2012, 08:47 PM) *

If the 2.0 in the '76 runs, why not just move the FI bits over incl. the fuel pump?

P.S. Nice car!

The engine in the '74 was rebuilt by Otto's and is documented in old threads by redshift. The engine and transaxle appear to be ready to go. The engine in the '76 had upper end work before I bought it; however, the the transmission still to be reinstalled.

I'm thinking it might be good to do a transplant and get the car back on the road while I check out the other engine.

p.s. The car looks better in pictures than in person
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.